• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (27 Viewers)

Here is one taken with the E-M1 & MB & Ext 1.4 & Canon 70-200mm.

Cropped & resized.

It looks like focus is more on the head and beyond a bit....

Attachments

• P2271469 small komp.jpg
    P2271469 small komp.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 237
Hi Tord,

I'm glad you like the 400mm. Like I reported before, I also have the focus problem. I can't rely on focus and a few shots are needed to make sure. I find that quite annoying. It gets worse as you increase distance.

I don't seem to experience the problem you have with focus refusing to work. On occasion at close range, it will hunt endlessly but focusing elsewhere fixes the problem.

IBIS works great on mine also, even with the 1.4X or the 2X TC.

Here is an update on the subject of focus refusal. I have been travelling quite a lot the past winter, just came home. No birding however other interesting motifs made up for that. I have been using a 40-150 F/2.8 PRO lens recently and indeed I got focus refusals at occasion. Even though the camera/lens fit has hardly ant play, much less than the MB adapter, a gentle twist resolves the issue so I suspect there may be some misalignment issue with the connector(s) on the camera side since though they look clean and the gold plating is not damaged. Focus was 100% spot on.

I just had a look at the metabones web site and among Canon lenses reported as compatible by community can be found telephoto primes:
Canon EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 400/2.8L IS USM (Mark I) // comment: this is a heavy lens, so of limited interest.

(The 400mm f/5.6 USM is apparently not listed, for some reason.)

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2

Stop down ?

Since the Canon 400mm EF USM 5.6 is an oversized lens for the small sensor in the E-M1, I guess only the center part of the optical part is actually used.
Will the non-used outer part effect the image in some negative way, maybe causing unnecessary stray light, reduce contrast ?

Would stoping down, covering the unused outer part, in front of the lens, improve image quality ?

If stoping down is feasible, maybe someone has suggestions how to do it in a good way s t s ?

I guess it would not look cool to have that kind of restriction in front of the lens but that is another matter :)

Anders

I just had a look at the metabones web site and among Canon lenses reported as compatible by community can be found telephoto primes:
Canon EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 400/2.8L IS USM (Mark I) // comment: this is a heavy lens, so of limited interest.

(The 400mm f/5.6 USM is apparently not listed, for some reason.)

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2

Hi Tord I have used the sigma 500 f4.5 prime and the canon 300L f4 is(switched off) and the Canon 100L is they all work with my EM1 but are not any good in both CAF and for BIF. I have'nt tried them with my EM% mk2 as yet.
kind regards mike

Last edited:
Anders,
If you have the flocked version of the Metabones adapter or have flocked the earlier version, I would not worry about it.

Dan,
I have the flocked version.
Removing the canon lens and looking in through the booster I can see goldplated contacts at the interface between the adapter and the E-M1 which will probably be exposed to light from the unused "outer part"...

It is the backside of the connectors in the MB that is visible.
Maybe painting the backside of the connectors with this paint could reduce possibility for reflextions.

http://www.amazon.com/Humbrol-Model-Paint-No-033-AA0360/dp/B0026PEO6I

Anders

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that the tiny bit you see would have any noticeable effect, but you could just dab them with a black water proof marker pen to blacken them if you want. It looks to me like any light that might hit them would be reflected back and thus be sufficiently dissipated. They are in front of a flange and I can't see any light being reflected onto the sensor. You can't even see them if you look in from behind.

4 comments:

1- I have the flocked version of the adapter and there are no flares in my photos using the 400mm Canon with sun shield attached.

2- I made more tests yesterday and, IMHO, this lens is fully compatible except for C-AF that doesn't work at all. Focus in S-AF mode is fast enough to allow BIF photos, as shown in the attached taken at 50-60 m. using the Canon 1.4X TC II under very bad light.

3- Focus accuracy seems to be much better using Silent Shutter at 0 s. instead of the regular shutter.

4- On another subject, I suggest you try DXO OpticsPro 10 to remove noise. I have removed noise completely on EM-1 photos at ISO 6400 without any softening in the image. Incredible! And it is now free. You must use RAW or DNG photos with the PRIME option in the DETAIL section and save the image as a TIFF file. IMO, the other options are not any better than LR. The attached photo, at ISO 800, was denoised using DXO.

Attachments

• 002-160330ab119k.jpg
    002-160330ab119k.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Dan, maybe you are right that about the reflexions.

Jules, I looked on their homepage, it looks like the program is only for free for a trial period of 30 days.

Can you post the same photo with the geese untreated for comparison reasons, please?

Anders

Jules,
#3, hmmm.... interesting. I haven't noticed that and I find it hard to imagine how it could have any effect on focus, but the AS=0 thing can have a big effect. Minute amounts of motion blur or shutter shock can make a shot look out of focus, especially when you don't see any obvious signs of motion blur.
Have to give that a test. Be interesting to find out. I have been using the silent shutter constantly. The fact that it is really silent is a big advantage. These guys are very shy and will take of at the first click.
P3312708.jpg

P3312713.jpg

Bad light, 1/80 wide open. He was only about 4 meters away stayed around much longer than they normally do.

Dan, maybe you are right that about the reflexions.

Jules, I looked on their homepage, it looks like the program is only for free for a trial period of 30 days.

Can you post the same photo with the geese untreated for comparison reasons, please?

Anders

Anders,

I think you are right... sorry for misleading you guys. It is free for 30 days only.

Anyway, here is the original - only cropped and resized. No other treatment.

Attachments

• 001-160330ab119.jpg
    001-160330ab119.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 271
Jules,
#3, hmmm.... interesting. I haven't noticed that and I find it hard to imagine how it could have any effect on focus, but the AS=0 thing can have a big effect. Minute amounts of motion blur or shutter shock can make a shot look out of focus, especially when you don't see any obvious signs of motion blur.
Have to give that a test. Be interesting to find out. I have been using the silent shutter constantly. The fact that it is really silent is a big advantage. These guys are very shy and will take of at the first click.
View attachment 579032

View attachment 579033

Bad light, 1/80 wide open. He was only about 4 meters away stayed around much longer than they normally do.

I took 150 photos last Tuesday, all with the 1.4X TC and, except for the BIF, all are focused correctly. This had never happened to me with the regular shutter. Or is it firmware 2.1 ?

Contrary to you, I miss the shutter sound even if it can be an advantage at times to keep it silent. An optional beep would be nice.

Jules, thanks for the other untreated photo.

Why have they limited upper iso to 3200 while using silent shutter?

Anders

Yeah, it takes getting used to. I actually prefer it when the lens is stopped down because I can then hear the diaphragm closing, so there is some acoustical feedback, just enough to know the shutter released but not enough to scare anything off. I hate beeps....;)
The only thing I don't like about the silent shutter is the distortion (rolling shutter). It can happen very easily. Doesn't matter so much for birds. I have three mysets, the first one with silent for single shots etc, but the other two are for faster action and there I use single with AS=0 on one and 7fps with no IS on the third for BiF.

Here is an example of how the silent shutter is effected by rolling shutter. Two shots, hand held, about one second apart. Switch quickly back and forth between the two to see what I mean.

P4053115.jpg P4053116.jpg

That's right, which is why I will continue to keep using it where silence is an advantage.

I will make sure to check if the advantage I seem to get in terms of focus accuracy when using the Canon 400mm is due to the silent shutter or to the new version of Metabones. Thanks for posting the photos. Nice cat !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back