• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (41 Viewers)

She has a habit of sitting next to me when I am taking pictures of birds. Just being helpful...;)

photo2a.jpg

From a rainy day last year when I had my scope outside trained on the Blue Tit's house and sat inside and controlled the camera with my phone.

Problems arise when I am sitting OUTSIDE!3:)

Thanks for posting that Dan... So the rolling shutter issue manifests as a distorted image... I will watch for that. In your example I cannot really tell which image is "worse"...

I have been using silent shutter quite a lot, and I like it. So far I haven't noticed that it has had any negative impact on my images. The biggest advantage to me is not the silence, but the ability to eliminate all vibration, if you use a remote shutter release (and assuming wind is not a factor). But silence is great in other ways, not only to avoid scaring the birds, but also when you don't want to disturb other birders standing next to you in a group, or for candid photos of people, etc.

Only thing is, I'm learning that the maximum continuous rate of 11fps with my E-M1 is usually too much: those frames pile up silently but quickly! I'm starting to sometimes dial it back to a more modest 6 fps, and only switch to the highest burst rate for specific situations, if I remember.

Dave

Dave,
I agree totally with the vibrationless bit. Lets face it, sound is caused by vibration, so... no sound, no vibration.;)
If there is nothing to compare a picture to, or if there are no clear geometric shapes, you can get away with a lot with the silent shutter, but not everything. The overall geometry of a picture can be adjusted in PP if need be, but I have seen cases where one half of the picture is normal and the other half distorted. I had it happen on a crow in flight who's head looked normal but who's body was all bent out of shape.;) Sorry I don't still have it to show. Looked pretty funny.
That is why I have the myset for BiF set to normal shutter with IS off. The movement of the camera and subject is just too much for the silent shutter.
I find 7 fps plenty fast enough.

I don't know if you noticed, but the recently announced Pana GX85/GX80 (and whatever else it is going to be called) has a redesigned shutter with minimized shutter shock. Let us hope that soon spreads to other members of the m43 family.

Niels

I do love the silent shutter! (....and, the autofocus!)
P4022826.jpg P4022902.jpg P4032954.jpg P4053100.jpg

Never been able to get this close to these guys, and I am not even hiding. I just sit quietly against the wall and move very slowly and only when I have to. E-M1+MB+Canon 400/5.6 (#3 with 1.4 Ext.III).

Last edited:
Very nice images.

I think moving very slowly can go a long way. My mentor birdwatching friend tells people not to point at birds because he has noticed leading hundreds of groups that often the bird flies off when the first person points at it. I try to move in slow motion when I'm near my target. I'm not sure how often it helps, but it never hurts.

Dave

Very nice images.

I think moving very slowly can go a long way. My mentor birdwatching friend tells people not to point at birds because he has noticed leading hundreds of groups that often the bird flies off when the first person points at it. I try to move in slow motion when I'm near my target. I'm not sure how often it helps, but it never hurts.

Dave
Moving very slowly is indeed the key. Blending with the background is also very important. Sitting against a wall like Dan did, standing in front of a tree or rock and avoiding being a silhouette are all part of blending. Make yourself as small as possible and stay low. Third, avoid making noise - talking, walking, equipment, noisy clothing...

All good tips. There is something of an advantage though to shoot in ones own garden, other than the savings on gas and travel time. The birds are more used to people, so I was able to do these dressed in my normal dark clothing sitting against a white wall in full view and not more than 4-5 meters away from their favorite perches near our bug attracting compost container. There are also more Redstarts this year, so maybe they feel less skittish. I also "talk" to them whenever I see them while I am moving about, so they are more used to me. So maybe it isn't the silent shutter after all. Next sunny day I will try again with the normal shutter and see what happens.

I do love the silent shutter! (....and, the autofocus!)
View attachment 580193 View attachment 580194 View attachment 580195 View attachment 580196

Never been able to get this close to these guys, and I am not even hiding. I just sit quietly against the wall and move very slowly and only when I have to. E-M1+MB+Canon 400/5.6 (#3 with 1.4 Ext.III).
Very nice, Dan.
Are these Black Redstarts?

On the "silent shutter" subject, I have been trying it recently with the MB. Not sure if I like the ergonomy/lack of user feedback, however it seems the focus is more consistent with fewer shots OOF. Will try it on the scope as well, aiming at shutter speeds around 1/125 s.

Yes, Black Redstarts.
I have been doing some experimenting and I see no difference in focus speed and accuracy between silent and AS=0. However, it is possible that slight bits of shutter shock are still present in the AS=0 mode, whereas there is naturally none in silent mode. That tiny bit of shutter shock can make a shot look out of focus. It can be just enough to blur the shot, but not enough to be seen as movement blur, which is exactly what it is. Going to set up a controlled test and if I do in fact see a difference, you guys will be the first to hear about it.

Yes, the silent release takes some getting used to. At least with the 400 if I stop the lens down I can hear the diaphragm closing and opening. Some feedback, but actually I have gotten pretty used to it and often shoot wide open. I use silent 90% of the time now.

Last edited:
Yes, Black Redstarts.
I have been doing some experimenting and I see no difference in focus speed and accuracy between silent and AS=0. However, it is possible that slight bits of shutter shock are still present in the AS=0 mode, whereas there is naturally none in silent mode. That tiny bit of shutter shock can make a shot look out of focus. It can be just enough to blur the shot, but not enough to be seen as movement blur, which is exactly what it is. Going to set up a controlled test and if I do in fact see a difference, you guys will be the first to hear about it.

Yes, the silent release takes some getting used to. At least with the 400 if I stop the lens down I can hear the diaphragm closing and opening. Some feedback, but actually I have gotten pretty used to it and often shoot wide open. I use silent 90% of the time now.

Shutter shock, when present, can be seen at on photos taken at close range. Imagine how much effect it has at 50 meters !

MB update available

ABOUT THIS DOWNLOAD
Name: Firmware update V2.2 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 13 Apr 2016
Benefits and improvements:
Fixed focal length display of Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye lens on Olympus.
Olympus contrast-detect autofocus enhancements.

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/EF-M43_Firmware_Win

ABOUT THIS DOWNLOAD
Name: Firmware update V2.2 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 13 Apr 2016
Benefits and improvements:
Fixed focal length display of Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye lens on Olympus.
Olympus contrast-detect autofocus enhancements.

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/EF-M43_Firmware_Win
I will download and test at earliest convenience on my E-M5 (which already performs suprisingly well).

I updated the MB, when using it on my e-m1, with the canon 400mm, the image in the evf got black, i went back to older firmware, it functioned ok again. I will wait for you to try, Tord.....

I updated the MB, when using it on my e-m1, with the canon 400mm, the image in the evf got black, i went back to older firmware, it functioned ok again. I will wait for you to try, Tord.....

How can you revert to the previous firmware ? I read in many places that it is not possible and I tried it myself without success.

I tried the Metabones Firmware V 2.2 and I'm not sure it is an improvement, at least for me.

Using the Canon 400mm, focus seems slower. Using the silent shutter, it is always accurate. I have not tried it with the regular shutter. Focusing speed is about the same with/without the 1.4X Exender II.

C-AF is misleading; it seems to work but does not. In C-AF mode, the focus is acquired very quickly when pushing the shutter button: the green square appears confirming lock and the image is perfectly in focus in the VF. However, the photos are seriously out of focus. I tried it many times and got the same OOF image every time. Same behaviour with BIF and stationary targets. With the prior firmware (2.1), the focus was hunting without locking.

How can you revert to the previous firmware ? I read in many places that it is not possible and I tried it myself without success.

No problem, just run the older MB update file version 2.1...I hope you downloaded and saved it before on your computer....I have saved many versions so I can "go back" if needed.

When looking at firmware data in the camera it displays lens as version 2.1 again.

Last edited:
No problem, just run the older MB update file version 2.1...I hope you downloaded and saved it before on your computer....I have saved many versions so I can "go back" if needed.

When looking at firmware data in the camera it displays lens as version 2.1 again.

Humm... Interesting ! Doesn't work for me. Executing MetabonesAppV2.1.exe, I get the attached image. No going back possible. Same result if I connect the USB cable before or after running the update program.

Update: Pushing the button when inserting the USB cable does it. I'm back to 2.1

Attachments

• metabones v21.JPG
    metabones v21.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back