• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarchs , Pentax or Opticrons ? (1 Viewer)

mrlimbo

Hi , im looking to replace my Bushnell Trophy's 10x42 for under £200 , ive narrowed it down to these bins

Nikon Monarchs 10x42
Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II or like ?
Opticrons ?

Now i know its all down to personal taste and in an ideal World i could go along and try them all out , but that isnt going to happen , as theres nowhere here (biggish city) that would stock them !!!
So these will be bought online & there use will be birding , so your opinions/experience of any of these or others would be great to hear/know , my leaning at the moment are the Monarchs , but i like the diopter & eyecup setup ive read about on the Pentax !

Thanks everyone for your shared knowledge :clap:

Hi , im looking to replace my Bushnell Trophy's 10x42 for under £200 , ive narrowed it down to these bins

Nikon Monarchs 10x42
Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II or like ?
Opticrons ?

Now i know its all down to personal taste and in an ideal World i could go along and try them all out , but that isnt going to happen , as theres nowhere here (biggish city) that would stock them !!!
So these will be bought online & there use will be birding , so your opinions/experience of any of these or others would be great to hear/know , my leaning at the moment are the Monarchs , but i like the diopter & eyecup setup ive read about on the Pentax !

Thanks everyone for your shared knowledge :clap:

Hello!
I'd have the Pentax. Heavier but the build quality is considerably better than the Nikons (all plastic I think). The Pentax has a solid aluminium housing. It's very sturdy.
The HRII is now being replaced by the new HRc. Have you seen them?
Maybe it would make it on your shortlist. It is improved (lighter, smaller) but seems to be very affordable.

Cheers, Tom

Hello!
I'd have the Pentax. Heavier but the build quality is considerably better than the Nikons (all plastic I think). The Pentax has a solid aluminium housing. It's very sturdy.
The HRII is now being replaced by the new HRc. Have you seen them?
Maybe it would make it on your shortlist. It is improved (lighter, smaller) but seems to be very affordable.

Cheers, Tom

Hi thanks for the info , i had seen the Hrc a few times and wondered what difference was , & now i know , i'll look into them as well , cheers

Looks like none are that popular going by the lack of feedback here !!!!

Are there any other boards/forums concerning bins for birdwatching ?
So i can try and glean info/opinions on these bins , as im having little success here :))

I went for "Pentax 10x42 DCF HRC" in the end !

Well i did but two pairs later and having the same problem with both (a blurred spot in the centre of fov) i ended up with a pair of "Bushnell 8x42 Discoverer" and wow what a great bin !!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back