• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove Moving its Eggs (2 Viewers)

Hello, we had a mourning dove who nested outside of our bathroom window, on the window still and they had laid 2 eggs and were doing pretty fine, sitting in a potted plant with a fake plant for shade underneath the roof of the second story. We could easily see the nest from our bathroom window and today it was incredibly wind, like intense winds common for SoCal with Santa Ana winds and I suddenly noticed, the mourning dove had left and so had the eggs. I know predators and such can take the eggs, but I had just seen the bird and the eggs an hour prior, so I am doubting that predators came, is it possible for the doves to move their eggs to a second location due to high winds bothering them at this location. I am afraid that the doves will never return to this nest because they had come last year and successfully had 6 pairs of twin babies over nearly 8 months and they finally returned in early February. I really hope that they come back to nest again, but it is an amazing feeling to see mourning doves raise babies.

Sad to hear this.

Did you check the ground below to see if the wind blew the eggs out of the nest although if the nest is still in place that's probably not a factor. Please let us know if the Doves return. I don't know if they are capable of moving an egg with their feet but maybe someone can answer that.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi mourningdovelover and a warm welcome from me too.

That's so sad the eggs have disappeared. Do let us know if you discover what happened.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Unfortunately, doves aren't capable of moving eggs from location to location. They can't grasp the egg any way to move it. If they have to abandon a nest, they'll just lay more eggs in the new location. They may come back if they still like the area, though.

Since they've nested there in the past, and have presumably encountered those same winds, I'd think it's likely that the wind didn't scare them away. If the nest is still there, I would think a predator may have taken the eggs, rather than them being blown out. Some predators are fast-moving. A snake, maybe? Some are remarkable climbers, and a decent-sized snake could have swallowed the eggs quickly and left. A decent-sized snake would probably have taken awhile to eat the dove, though, so she's likely fine. You would most likely have seen a predator eating the adult dove, if that had happened.

Unfortunately, doves aren't capable of moving eggs from location to location. They can't grasp the egg any way to move it. If they have to abandon a nest, they'll just lay more eggs in the new location. They may come back if they still like the area, though.

Since they've nested there in the past, and have presumably encountered those same winds, I'd think it's likely that the wind didn't scare them away. If the nest is still there, I would think a predator may have taken the eggs, rather than them being blown out. Some predators are fast-moving. A snake, maybe? Some are remarkable climbers, and a decent-sized snake could have swallowed the eggs quickly and left. A decent-sized snake would probably have taken awhile to eat the dove, though, so she's likely fine. You would most likely have seen a predator eating the adult dove, if that had happened.
I mean I was thinking that, but at the same time with all the wind I am not sure how the snake would be able to readily climb up nearly 10-15 ft and snakes aren't too common in our area especially in the winter season as it has been relatively cold here lately. I saw the Mama or Papa bird with the empty nest and I don't know what happened, not sure if something came and ate the eggs when the birds switch places. I was really hoping that the birds could have moved the eggs because I really didn't want the eggs to be harmed :(((

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I actually watched a dove fly out of nest with an egg in its mouth (thief) Fortunately 2 other babies made it

Are you sure it had an egg with it? I can't see how they could grasp an egg firmly enough to carry it. Is it possible it was carrying something else?

Are you sure it had an egg with it? I can't see how they could grasp an egg firmly enough to carry it. Is it possible it was carrying something else?
Yes, I was shocked, I was 2 feet away looking at the nest and the bird flew off w/ it. I searched the yard thinking it got dropped but no luck.

Yes I was 2 ft away watching the nest since I heard some commotion and it took off w/ an egg. I searched the yard thinking it may have been dropped but no luck.

Yes I was 2 ft away watching the nest since I heard some commotion and it took off w/ an egg. I searched the yard thinking it may have been dropped but no luck.
Hi, I saw your comment and totally believe you. We took pictures of one of our regular mourning dove couples because she laid an egg on the top of our fence. We couldn't believe it. They were both walking back and forth, around the egg. I went in to the house, came right back out and it was gone, with the parents. I looked everywhere for the egg. I just got thinking about it and googled "can mourning doves can move their eggs", and yes, they can. It is fascinating!

Hello, we had a mourning dove who nested outside of our bathroom window, on the window still and they had laid 2 eggs and were doing pretty fine, sitting in a potted plant with a fake plant for shade underneath the roof of the second story. We could easily see the nest from our bathroom window and today it was incredibly wind, like intense winds common for SoCal with Santa Ana winds and I suddenly noticed, the mourning dove had left and so had the eggs. I know predators and such can take the eggs, but I had just seen the bird and the eggs an hour prior, so I am doubting that predators came, is it possible for the doves to move their eggs to a second location due to high winds bothering them at this location. I am afraid that the doves will never return to this nest because they had come last year and successfully had 6 pairs of twin babies over nearly 8 months and they finally returned in early February. I really hope that they come back to nest again, but it is an amazing feeling to see mourning doves raise babies.
I was curious about an experience we had with one of our Mourning Dove couples a while back. I googled it and that is how I found this forum. The Google answer was yes, they can move their eggs. It directed me to an interesting article. Then I found your comment so I have not continued on to more articles yet.

My experience was with one of our regular Mourning Dove couples. They liked to sit on the flat, top of our fence. My son was getting home from work and noticed an egg, right there with Mama and Dad, on the fence. He took pictures and then called me outside. I couldn't believe it. I know they aren't the most eloquent nest makers, but this was hysterical. Mama and Dad were walking around the egg, sitting next to it... We were trying to figure out if there was a way to move it to a safe spot for them without them leaving it for good. I walked in the house, walked back out a few minutes later, and the egg was gone with the parents. We searched everywhere, both sides of the fence, there weren't any shrubs to conceal it if it fell. The three were gone.

I'm going to continue my research. But I thought I would just share my experience. I hope you recieved more visits and got to watch them hatch and grow. The closest I have come is when the parents would bring their fluffy, young fledglings out to sit with them on the fence top. Mom and Dad would enjoy eating out of the floating, flat feeders I hung for them, while keeping a close eye on their babies. But watching them hatch and grow would be amazing. A few of our hummingbird friends made nests where we could watch the whole process, from a comfortable distance, and it is an experience you don't forget. When those babies takes flight you are already very attached. It is such a beautiful thing to watch.

I had dove nesting on my front porch. I helped them two years ago to build a sturdy nest under my front porch ceiling. Have had no problems until today. Eggs were there on Sunda. Look today no eggs. Have seen no snakes in the area. But who knows. I am putting up a camera to keep an eye out in the future.

This just happend to me also, last week i noticed an egg on the ground "broke of course" so i wanted for the parent to leave the next. I checked to see if there was another egg in the nest, and there was. But this week i noticed the parent was gone for 15+ hours so i checked again to see if the egg was there.... it was not. i do live in SoCal desert but not close to a desert area. if it was a snake any idea what kind i had think of a snake that would climb a 8 ft poll to get to 1 dove egg.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back