• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove Moving its Eggs (2 Viewers)

Hi All!

A mourning dove recently created a neat and laid an egg on my fire escape. The next day, she laid a second egg in a nearby planter (also on the fire escape). I am concerned that she didn't lay the eggs together.

Can the second egg survive in this planter without the parents? While I consistently see a parent on or near the nest with the single egg, I haven't seen a bird address the egg in the planter at all.

Should I use gloves and move the egg into her nest to make it easier for her? I would like to give the babies the best chance of survival, but I don't want to create any rejection for both/either of the eggs.

Thank you!

yes mourning doves CAN move eggs from one place to another. They peck a teeny tiny hole in the shell so a little bit of fluid comes out. This drop of fluid then hardens and forms a "nub" that the adult bird can then grab with its beak, pick up the egg, and transport it. I know. The brilliance is mind blowing....

Hi All!

A mourning dove recently created a neat and laid an egg on my fire escape. The next day, she laid a second egg in a nearby planter (also on the fire escape). I am concerned that she didn't lay the eggs together.

Can the second egg survive in this planter without the parents? While I consistently see a parent on or near the nest with the single egg, I haven't seen a bird address the egg in the planter at all.

Should I use gloves and move the egg into her nest to make it easier for her? I would like to give the babies the best chance of survival, but I don't want to create any rejection for both/either of the eggs.

Thank you!
Feb 6, 2022 — Animal Help Now directs anyone in the UNITED STATES who encounters a WILDLIFE EMERGENCY to the closest, most appropriate help, 24/7. Go to their website ahnow.org. You'll put in your zip code and they'll direct you to nearest resources in your area. These people can answer such questions. Their phone number is 1-303-543-0755 Good Luck!

To Kbirds and wyluq

A warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum. We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back