• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moved baby dove to new safe location- advice needed! (1 Viewer)

Ashley91

United States
Hello!
I have a doves nest under a large light (not being used) on my barn. One of the fledglings either fell or tried to fly out of it today And was on my concrete in front of the barn. My dog was the first to notice and was trying to pick it up, so I’ve kept him away from the bird. The bird is not injured and hopped over to the side of my barn in a Stoney area with some tall grass. I went to check on it to find a large snake right next to it. I scared the snake off, but nervous it would come back for the bird. I moved the bird to a large open top wooden crate just below the nest with some tall grass to help stay warm. Both parents have been in sight (before I moved it, one was laying with the baby). My concern is if the parents will continue to feed the baby and Keep it Warm being in the crate? I Really wanted to just leave it alone, but I couldn’t leave it right there to be prey.

** UPDATE- Baby dove did leave the crate and is now with both parents in the yard.

Attachments

• 4A7A86B3-2BC9-4FCC-8F89-7DB6B53FE3F5.jpeg
    4A7A86B3-2BC9-4FCC-8F89-7DB6B53FE3F5.jpeg
    924.1 KB · Views: 4
  • F1D86830-21BE-449A-ADDB-3C489192CDA8.jpeg
    F1D86830-21BE-449A-ADDB-3C489192CDA8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi Ashley and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope this proves useful. I'm guessing it's too high for you to be able to put the chick back?

It does sound as though the parents are aware of where the youngster is, so I'm sure they will do their best to try and raise it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how he gets on.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’m not sure why you moved the bird if its parent was with it.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’m not sure why you moved the bird if its parent was with it.
The parent wasn’t with the bird when I moved it. It was in a location where we have snakes, one was next to it and I didn’t want it to be prey. I moved the bird right in mother’s sight.

Hi Ashley and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope this proves useful. I'm guessing it's too high for you to be able to put the chick back?

It does sound as though the parents are aware of where the youngster is, so I'm sure they will do their best to try and raise it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how he gets on.
The nest is very high up, but it’s a fledgling, fully feathered. Both parents have been in sight watching it, so I figured it’s getting ready to fly. I just didn’t want it to be eaten before it got the chance to!

Yes, you did the right thing Ashley.

Although fledglings are able to 'flutter' around they're not ready to fly any distance. They need to exercise their wing muscles and practise taking short flights. This stage can take a few days.

The bird is doing good today, it moved around in the crate, mom is still in the nest above. Will it be able to fly out when ready?

Last edited:
It's hard to be definite Ashley, but most birds can jump and use their wings enough to get out of these places. But keep an eye and make sure he can do it.

I suppose you could put a sloping plank of wood in that he could climb up on?

The parent wasn’t with the bird when I moved it. It was in a location where we have snakes, one was next to it and I didn’t want it to be prey. I moved the bird right in mother’s sight.
Ah, I misunderstood your post then.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back