• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 1st Zeiss - Jenoptem 7x50W (1 Viewer)

Binocollector

Germany
There has been a gap in my collection for quite some time. Especially since I'm German myself, I don't own that many German binos. So far I only had one Optolyth 8x30 and 2 Hartmann 8x30.
I often saw those vintage Zeiss porros but so far never pulled the trigger on ebay. Often the condition didn't look good enough to warrant the price.
But after reading a few reviews on Holger Merlitz's website, mainly about military optics, I came across the Jenoptem 7x50. And I kind of have a "7x50-phase" at the moment. Before that there were the 8x30-phase, the 7x35-phase, etc.
So long story short - went on eBay and found a 7x50 that looked almost too good to be true. Less than 120€ and condition looked great.
I got home from vacation today and had 3 packages waiting, one was the 7x50 and it is far better than I expected. I was a bit worried about edge sharpness or too much field curvature but it's actually quite good. Brightness is much better than I'd have thought for such an old bino. It has those lovely purple coatings and even though I'm well aware that color of coatings doesn't mean much - it just looks so gorgeous. Everything else works like a charm. Super smooth focuser, perfect alignment, just some slight scratches on the prism covers and beauty rings around the objectives. I'm thinking about ordering a set of those rubber covers for the tubes and winged eye cups.
Really happy with that purchase. It's sharper and brighter than my recently acquired Nikon "Marine" 7x50 (that one was kind of a disappointment).
But a thread is worthless without pics.
IMG_20220903_172141.jpgIMG_20220903_170320.jpgIMG_20220903_170317.jpgIMG_20220903_164312.jpgIMG_20220903_164259.jpgIMG_20220903_164238.jpg

After reading your post, I had a quick look on ebay for some , was tempted, but as I wear specs they won't be any good for me.
:(

Like many birders of my age I grew up using Russian then East German binoculars when I had a little more savings. I almost bought a pair of Deltrintims from a flea market last week, but one side had obvious haze - the good barrel though was better than I remembered. Still very serviceable binoculars 35 years on.

those are in fantastic condition, congrats!
Thanks, indeed they are. Normally these can go for well over 200€ used. I forgot to take a pic of the whole bino. So here's some more eye candy.
IMG_20220903_192521.jpgIMG_20220903_192421.jpgIMG_20220903_192350.jpgIMG_20220903_192330.jpgIMG_20220903_192314.jpg
After reading your post, I had a quick look on ebay for some , was tempted, but as I wear specs they won't be any good for me.
:(

True, unfortunately eye relief is like on any typical 7x50 porro from that time. Too short.

Beautiful. I grew up with the Oberkochen Porros myself. One small question, not knowing enough about CZJ, how much does the "1Q" designation (not visible here) mean in practice?

I'm not sure but I saw a very similar symbol on some old opera glasses by ROW - Rathenow Optische Werke, which belonged to the same conglomerate as CZJ. They also got their glass from Zeiss.
But I'm not sure what the symbol actually means. I might go check some German bino forums to find out more.
But I always thought it was kind of a "budget line" thing. I'm certain however there are Zeiss fans here who are far more knowledgeable about the brand.

I gather that exports to Western countries were 1Q, and have only seen photos of bins with or without that, none of the other marks shown on that wiki. I just wondered how noticeable a difference there might have been as I've never examined or compared any. (I'm not a collector.) Porro designs being relatively simple, I'm not sure how much variation could arise (that couldn't be easily corrected).

Congratulations, and may you have much enjoyment of your new acquisition. Zeiss of today should probably be grateful to Zeiss Jena DDR for providing so many people with their first experience of the great optics name. There must be very many owners of Victory series binoculars that started with a Jenoptem.

Supposedly IQ meant specially selected, maybe through quality control.

B.
It was also reported that the Q1 logo was purely a marketing touch, perhaps rationalized by the Zeiss history of making first class product.
It should theoretically be possible to tell whether there was any actual QC applied, as the Zeiss Jena binoculars were given sequential serial numbers.
So if some glass was superior enough to deserve a Q1 logo while the next one was not, there should be a fairly random sprinkling of Q1s in the sequence.
Of course, assembling such a set of sequential production today seems impossible.

I gather that exports to Western countries were 1Q, and have only seen photos of bins with or without that, none of the other marks shown on that wiki.
I checked my opera glass by ROW (Rathenower Optische Werke) and it carries the "S" inside a triangle, which is "Sonderklasse" which would be one step below the "1Q"-sign.
sfcvj.jpg

The Zeiss survey camera has both Zeiss and Emil Busch Rathenow marked as makers.

Probably the 20cm Topogon, 50cm Aero Tessar and 75cm Telikon lenses were all Zeiss and most of the camera Emil Busch, possibly magnesium.
The standards are extremely high.

IQ binoculars are probably on average slightly better than non IQ.

However, fakes are more likely to say IQ, I think.

Regards,
B.

By the time Binocollector's multi-coated Jenoptem came along in the 1980s these binoculars were selling in western countries for peanuts (except in the US), I assume because the DDR was desperate for hard currency. I see the 7x50W Jenoptem listed for £59.95 including 15% VAT in a 1987 Vic Oddens ad.

I bought a 8x30 Deltrintem from them in 1987 for £43.43 without VAT and could have bought an 8x30 Jenoptem for ten pounds less.

BTW, what is that "W" after the 7x50 for? It wasn't a wide field binocular (128m @1000m.)

I bought a 8x30 Deltrintem from them in 1987 for £43.43 without VAT and could have bought an 8x30 Jenoptem for ten pounds less.

BTW, what is that "W" after the 7x50 for? It wasn't a wide field binocular (128m @1000m.)
Shortly after '89, when the Berlin Wall came tumbling down, you could have gotten basically anything from the GDR for peanuts, nightvision goggles, binos, etc.
Nowadays not so much anymore. In fact I think most old Zeiss Jena binos are overpriced on ebay.
However, there is an NVA 7x40 on there right now that seems to be in pristine condition and starting bid is 300. It was unsold for that price and is relisted. I am very tempted as the NVA 7x40 seems to be one of the best of those old Zeiss Jena military optics.
However I already have 2 Komz 7x30 and an IOR 7x40 (which is pretty awesome even though it is from 1980!) so I think that's more than enough "iron curtain" military optics for now.
Unfortunately I have no idea, what the "W" stands for.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back