• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 1st Zeiss - Jenoptem 7x50W (1 Viewer)

By the time Binocollector's multi-coated Jenoptem came along in the 1980s these binoculars were selling in western countries for peanuts (except in the US), I assume because the DDR was desperate for hard currency. I see the 7x50W Jenoptem listed for £59.95 including 15% VAT in a 1987 Vic Oddens ad.

I bought a 8x30 Deltrintem from them in 1987 for £43.43 without VAT and could have bought an 8x30 Jenoptem for ten pounds less.

BTW, what is that "W" after the 7x50 for? It wasn't a wide field binocular (128m @1000m.)
Afaik, the W did stand for 'Weitwinkel', or 'wide angle'. That too was a marketing driven addition, I believe.

someone over at Astromart is selling mint condition Zeiss Jena official Stasi binoculars! 8x30. How cool is that? Good thing I'm not a collector! :D:D

someone over at Astromart is selling mint condition Zeiss Jena official Stasi binoculars! 8x30. How cool is that? Good thing I'm not a collector! :D:D
Very much a collectors item, an 8x30 IF dating back to the 1970s or earlier, judging by the serial number.
Note that the MdI markings show it as property of the Ministry of the Interior, so Stasi or related civil security, rather than military.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back