• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Falcon Spain LANNER or ELEONORA'S (1 Viewer)

I photographed this falcon in Spain on September 3rd 2016 location was Duqessa Costa del Sol Southern Spain i new it was not Peregrine as photographed that species from exact same location a few months before and not Hobby as have many pics of Hobby in all plumage stages from UK. I had some encounters with Eleonora's on Mallorca in 2009 JULY , but have had no encounters with Lanner .Both Lanner and Eleonora's are sighted in the Gibraltar region the Duqessa location is only 30 miles from Gibraltar, you can see it from the roof top i watched and photographed all the Raptor species that migrate south through Spain, This bird struck me with size and shape -size like male Peregrine but slimmer less bulky longer body and tail-Flight was very like Hobby patrolling flight very leisurely and supple wing action not stiff like Peregrine but PLUMAGE is what has always thrown me i had it marked as Immature LANNER until i saw a recent report and pics of Immature Eleonora's in UK this August that bird looks very close to my bird particularly in contrasting underwing pattern and tail barring i have now re enhanced my photos and can see all the features of 3Y 3CY immature /sub adult Eleonora's pale phase [inc hint of rusty thighs] from the ID books i have .Can any one verify please ? SEE FILE ATTACHMENTS for PICS

Attachments

• DSC_0334_E L NEW COPY 1AA_e.jpg
    DSC_0334_E L NEW COPY 1AA_e.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0335_ELEANORA LANNER FALCON_e.jpg
    DSC_0335_ELEANORA LANNER FALCON_e.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0336_Fotor ELEANORA LANNER FALCON_03336A.jpg
    DSC_0336_Fotor ELEANORA LANNER FALCON_03336A.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
yes Eleonora’s but I’d call it 2cy, juvenile tail flight feathers, P4 looks longer so first adult feather (except fot body moult)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back