• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (6 Viewers)

I found a link!
Rhipidura ocularis -> so if looking at other birds with some eye-features, I can only think about
#9643 Black Spectacled Brush-finch

ps: a question: do we have to update the google spreadsheet ourselves...? Or is someone following it all up?

1711614215880.png

I found a link!
Rhipidura ocularis -> so if looking at other birds with some eye-features, I can only think about
#9643 Black Spectacled Brush-finch
Not the same family, but it's a finch and it's got a nice black-and-white pattern going on, it's also a montane species:
#9644 White-cheeked Bullfinch

I saw White-cheeked Bullfinch almost side-by-side with number 9645 on Mount Kitanglad, providing a support cast for Philippine Eagle, Apo Sunbird, Philippine Frogmouth, Bukidnon Woodcock, Giant Scops-owl... So what is number 9645...?
#9645 Red-Eared Parrotfinch

Down to 30 cards to play!

1711622128746.png

I saw White-cheeked Bullfinch almost side-by-side with number 9645 on Mount Kitanglad, providing a support cast for Philippine Eagle, Apo Sunbird, Philippine Frogmouth, Bukidnon Woodcock, Giant Scops-owl... So what is number 9645...?
#9645 Red-Eared Parrotfinch

I had a bad and scary experience on Mt. Kitanglad so missed the parrotfinch and some other species (got the bullfinch later at Mt. Apo).
Another bird with red on the head and in the same family as Red-eared Parrotfinch is:
#9646 Lesser Seedcracker

From a Seedcracker, the best I can do is move on to a Seedeater:
#9647 Black-bellied Seedeater

The bird was, unfortunately, far away in the reeds and not moving any closer.
1711623988157.png

As you mention São Tomé: I haven't been there, but I know it's home to the smallest Ibis in the world (the aptly named São Tomé Ibis).

I can't do the Ibis for now, but most people visit Sao Tome through Ghana so you could as well see another member (out of 5 in the African genus of Bostrychia ibises while there :) , so here is:

#9651 Spot-breasted Ibis

(only Sao Tome Ibis and Olive Ibis are left from all things 'Ibis'... anyone?)

As you mention São Tomé: I haven't been there, but I know it's home to the smallest Ibis in the world (the aptly named São Tomé Ibis).

I can't do the Ibis for now, but most people visit Sao Tome through Ghana so you could as well see another member (out of 5 in the African genus of Bostrychia ibises while there :) , so here is:

#9651 Spot-breasted Ibis

(only Sao Tome Ibis and Olive Ibis are left from all things 'Ibis'... anyone?)

Sure, I can do the tiny ibis (haven't seen the olive one though, so we need someone els to step in for that one):
#9652 São Tomé Ibis
saotibis.jpg

The very first bird mentioned in this topic is Rock Pigeon, so I can't take that one and have to be inventive to link with something rocky as I don't have any firefinches or allies on the list.
The closest I get to any kind of rock is Tsingy, the peculiar rock formations of NW Madagascar.

So (drumrolls) here is
#9655 Tsingy Forest Rail

:)

1711983102446.png

The very first bird mentioned in this topic is Rock Pigeon, so I can't take that one and have to be inventive to link with something rocky as I don't have any firefinches or allies on the list.
The closest I get to any kind of rock is Tsingy, the peculiar rock formations of NW Madagascar.

So (drumrolls) here is
#9655 Tsingy Forest Rail

:)

View attachment 1569414

Wow, great species! One of only five Madagascar endemics I'm still missing.

I can give you another species from the same family, but I'll have to go to New Guinea for it:
#9656 Chestnut Forest Rail

Wow, great species! One of only five Madagascar endemics I'm still missing.

I can give you another species from the same family, but I'll have to go to New Guinea for it:
#9656 Chestnut Forest Rail
thanks, there can't be any other than great species from now on, i.e. great in a sense that they are either in a far corner of the planet, elusive, rare or a combination of all of these characteristics. I have 5 more endemics to see in Madagascar (Dusky Tetraka, Mad. Cuckoohawk, Slender-billed Flufftail, Archbold's Newtonia and Yellow-bellied Sunbird-asity), and I honestly don't know if I can drag myself back to that place and probably still miss out on 2 or 3 of those!

I have no good link wrt that Forest rail so I'll let others find one.

I have 5 more endemics to see in Madagascar (Dusky Tetraka, Mad. Cuckoohawk, Slender-billed Flufftail, Archbold's Newtonia and Yellow-bellied Sunbird-asity), and I honestly don't know if I can drag myself back to that place and probably still miss out on 2 or 3 of those!
We have quite different gaps in our Madagascar list!
My five are: Tsingy Forest Rail, Mad. Serpent Eagle, Dusky Tetraka, Amber Mtn. Rock Thrush and Red-tailed Newtonia.

I forgot about Red-tailed Newtonia so that'll be 6! I 'accidentally' missed Archbold's after I stringed it and reviewed my pictures at home... silly me. I consider the Tetraka possible but requiring an expedition and too much time / resources, the Cuckoohawk a stupid miss, the Sunbird Asity maybe the most difficult now and I hope the Flufftail is still possible close to Tana. That leaves the Newtonias which could be both seen in the deep South (Archbold's occurs until there). So 4/6 (with the Tetraka and Sunbird Asity very hard) seems realistic...

Tsingy Forest Rail is dead-easy but a stupid amount of driving time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back