• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary (2 Viewers)

egrets and our old friend, the kingfisher

Attachments

• PICT8762.jpg
    PICT8762.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PICT8763.jpg
    PICT8763.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 95
  • PICT8765.jpg
    PICT8765.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 75
  • PICT8767.jpg
    PICT8767.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 75
  • PICT8768.jpg
    PICT8768.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 82
saurus and flocks

Attachments

• PICT8771.jpg
    PICT8771.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 73
  • PICT8772.jpg
    PICT8772.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT8773.jpg
    PICT8773.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT8774.jpg
    PICT8774.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT8775.jpg
    PICT8775.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 84
and finally, back to the eagle (?) again. She/he is still there.

Thats all I have for now. Maybe if I revisit next year I'll post more....

I just read on wikipedia that numbers of birds here are dwindling so if you are reading this and can spread the word around about this remarkable place it'll surely help the cause!

Attachments

• PICT8776.jpg
    PICT8776.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 93
  • PICT8777.jpg
    PICT8777.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT8778.jpg
    PICT8778.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 101
  • PICT8791.jpg
    PICT8791.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76
  • x.jpe
    x.jpe
    165.1 KB · Views: 97
I think your first raptor is a Crested Serpent-Eagle and the second one may be a Steppe Eagle.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I can confirm or correct.

I think your first raptor is a Crested Serpent-Eagle and the second one may be a Steppe Eagle.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I can confirm or correct.

thank you, that seems like it and matches the description I saw through binoculars. The strange thing is that both eagles (if I may call them that) chose the exact same spot to perch and watch for prey. And, also I thought eagles were territorial, so how come there are two eagles in the same area?

Good to see you cover a place not so well known in the other parts of the country..Thanks.

The sarus-cane that you mention is the purple-heron, the first of your raptors is the shikra..other birds i could make out are..heron,common moorhen,purple swamphen,egrets,lapwing,and ducks..

This place might be equally interesting during the 'post-winter' months...like march onwards..might be hot but you will certainly be able to find the local birds in the vegetation.

Regards.

I should have looked at the "Sarus" pics, which are actually Purple Galinule.

The first raptor is quoted as "bigger than crow or kite" hence not a Shikra; also the tail stripes are wrong. CSE I believe.

;)

Good to see you cover a place not so well known in the other parts of the country..Thanks.

The sarus-cane that you mention is the purple-heron, the first of your raptors is the shikra..other birds i could make out are..heron,common moorhen,purple swamphen,egrets,lapwing,and ducks..

This place might be equally interesting during the 'post-winter' months...like march onwards..might be hot but you will certainly be able to find the local birds in the vegetation.

Regards.
thank you for the appreciation! Yes I reported the names rather casually, with a closer look I'm certain there were no Saurus cranes there at all. But I'm fairly certain the raptor I saw wasn't a Shikra because it was too big. The picture I'm provided were taken with a 35mm DSLR at 200mm so the perspective might look messed up. Infact the first time I saw it I jumped with excitement because I thought it was the same eagle I had seen earlier. I had never seen such a big raptor before. CSE seems more accurate the more I look.

In the off-season months, the sanctuary is open but most people come here for picnics. The lake dries up and maintenance is poor.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back