• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying bird in Dufferin County, Southern Ontario. (1 Viewer)

Wen

Canada
Last evening, two birds in birch tree. Black plumage, size of pileated woodpecker, wedge tail, woodpecker type beak, red patch on rump. Closest bird I can find that resembles them is a Black Woodpecker (except the Black Woodpecker has a red patch on head) and apparently found in Europe. I have checked all my bird books, on line, even A.I. but no luck.

I wonder if they were escapees. There's nothing native to your area that matches your description, which sounds like a red-rumped cacique.
Thank you! That's them !! Your escapees suggestion may very well be correct. They flew from the tree, and then noticed I was watching them on the deck and they circled and flew over me. I had the impression they weren't totally wild. I was going nuts trying to figure out what they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back