• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nelson's Sparrow? - Winnipeg, Manitoba (voice) (2 Viewers)

khustochka

So, I have been hearing this bird for a few days, in the late evenings. I made a recording on July 1, 2020, after 11 pm. in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The sound is surprisingly loud, I was hearing it from inside the building (open window), despite the place is relatively noisy (cars passing by etc). I was dismissing it for some time but at least decided to step outside and made a recording. I think I was usually hearing it between 10pm and 1 am, but not after 1 am (though it is obviously quieter late at night, so if it were singing I would have heard it).

Habitat is a wet "meadow" (or a grassland, or a field, or just a wasteland - a place that has some grasses and very wet soil, with some poodles or patches of water and probably some marshy vegetation, but not much). I hear Wilson's Snipes from there every night.

Now, I have some doubts, because it sounds a bit different from all the Nelson's Sparrow records I found. It has two parts - very short chirp and then relatively short buzz. It just feels other records have a different intonation.

To me it does not sound very much like Le Conte's or Savannah Sparrow, because the "buzz" is so short. Especially in Savannah I would expect it to be much longer. I found one record on eBird claimed to be LeConte's and it is somewhat resembling my recording but the "buzz" is still about twice longer, and the first syllable is also longer and buzzier.

Would like to hear any thoughts, thanks you!

Attachments

• 20200701_230837_Custom_Nelsons.mp3
    284.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 2.49.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 2.49.32 PM.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back