• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ATC/ STC 17-40x56 Telescope (1 Viewer)

Since my post 19 minutes ago, 4 replies already ! We need to get out !!
When Swarovski announced this scope I was very interested.
I've recently undergone lung surgery and after the second Op. I contacted a really bad infection. And I mean BAD.....think DEAD !! ! I had to go back into Hosp where I also got COVID ! As a result ,I currently have to carry oxygen!
So, lighter gear means more to me than most!
I want to like this ATC (or a Kowa or anything similar) but as I state ,when combining the weight of a pod there isn't much difference. Then carrying the Scope/Pod on a Scopac or Mulepack, then the difference isn't noticeable!..........even for me!!
I've just done a quick comparison on weight in grams( forget price/quality etc etc)
Swar ATX 95 2217
Swar ATX85 1977
Swar ATX65 1652
Swar ATC 900

Kowa 99 1810
Kowa 88 1460
Kowa 553 810

A decent pod (carbon)
Swar 1800
Benro 1586

So, this thread is about the ATC so lets compare the ATC with Benro pod 2486, Swar ATX65 3238, Kowa 553 2396, Kowa 88 3046.
So the ATC is a 'can of Beans' lighter (on average)
Is it worth it??
Sirui Traveller 5 CX 1070
ATC 900
So, just under 2 kgs
Make that a large can!
๐Ÿ˜€

How's the stability with the Sirui actually? Haven't looked at that specific tripod.
Great. And carbon. I've used it fully extended in wind with my mm3-60, not had enough wind yet to judge with the ATC, but expect it to be the same: at least as stable as an aluminium tripod, but much lighter.

Sirui Traveller 5 CX 1070
ATC 900
So, just under 2 kgs
Make that a large can!
The Sirui is too short for me. I need more height. One of the disadvantages of being tall.

BTW, I tried one of the larger Siruis, and in direct comparison to a Gitzo of similar size and weight there was a rather large difference. Not just in price, also in stability ...

Hermann

Iโ€™m wondering if itโ€™s a good idea to replace my Zeiss field scope with the new STC. Itโ€™s more compact, wider FOV, less weight but sometimes fogging up and then how much would i get for my Zeiss?

Iโ€™m wondering if itโ€™s a good idea to replace my Zeiss field scope with the new STC. Itโ€™s more compact, wider FOV, less weight but sometimes fogging up and then how much would i get for my Zeiss?
Hi

I have not kept up to date with news on this telescope and s it isnโ€™t odd that your comment about fogging up has surprised me - do you have further details ?
thanks

Hi

I have not kept up to date with news on this telescope and s it isnโ€™t odd that your comment about fogging up has surprised me - do you have further details ?
thanks
As i understand it well, Swarovski put new coatings on their NL Pure and ATC/STC 17-40x56 telescope โ€œto save the planetโ€.

I have two Habichts and the the newest one which has this new coatings to -i suspect but donโ€™t know for sure- fogs up more than the older one. Both have the same eyecups in green GA. So if the new telescope, which format i really like has the same problem itโ€™s a possible dealbreaker for me.

For more information and debate: Has anyone noticed their NL Pure binoculars misting up?

Ah, my mistake I saw "fogging up" and mistakenly thought it meant internally rather than on the external surfaces.
Hopefully, this only occurs with big temperature/humidity changes (like getting out of the car on a very cold day) and is a temporary problem.
sorry for the misunderstanding, I will read the NL thread

You didn't say which Zeiss you've got.

Hermann

Tried the ATC recently. I'm struggling to think of a time when this item will be useful ! I've tried similar 'scopes before and agree they have some use for travel when weight is an issue. The ATC needs a tripod. For extended use ,it needs a tripod that fully extends and is fully stable. Travel pods are not ! Swarovski have made a big play on it's ability to be hand held.Total nonsense !!

Fact check.

As far as I can see, Swarovski actually claim:

"Thanks to its length of 258 mm (10.2 in), the ATC spotting scope with angled view will fit in any backpack. A weight of just 970 g (34.2 oz) makes it a top choice for tours in rough terrain and remote areas. The clever half shell makes it easier to position on a surface without a tripod and allows unimpeded turning of the focusing and zoom wheel at all times."

And therein lies the appeal for me. I do not own any form of tripod / rest but for years I've owned and used a CTC draw-tube using ad-hoc rests as and when required. The portability and lack of clutter has worked well for me.

The ATC / STC complete with the touted 'half shell' is a logical evolution given this pattern of use me, which is why I have one on order.

Of course, an ATC / STC would work perfectly well with a tripod but, for me anyway, using one in this way is failing to capitalise on the niche.

Last edited:
Fact check.

"Thanks to its length of 258 mm (10.2 in), the ATC spotting scope with angled view will fit in any backpack. A weight of just 970 g (34.2 oz) makes it a top choice for tours in rough terrain and remote areas. The clever half shell makes it easier to position on a surface without a tripod and allows unimpeded turning of the focusing and zoom wheel at all times."

And therein lies the appeal for me. I do not own any form of tripod / rest but for years I've owned and used a CTC draw-tube using ad-hoc rests as and when required. The portability and lack of clutter has worked well for me.

The ATC / STC complete with the touted 'half shell' is a logical evolution of this pattern of use me, which is why I have one on order.

Of course, an ATC / STC would would perfectly well with a tripod but, for me anyway, using one in this way is failing to capitalise on the niche.
I'd love to know how the 2 compare if you get a moment, I'm not too tempted to upgrade/change from the my ctc but would be interested to know if there's any significant optical advantages of the stc (I'm assuming it's the stc you have on order?)

Will

Fact check.

The ATC / STC complete with the touted 'half shell' is a logical evolution of this pattern of use me, which is why I have one on order.

Of course, an ATC / STC would would perfectly well with a tripod but, for me anyway, using one in this way is failing to capitalise on the niche.
To add to this (having used the ATC with and without a tripod): it works very well with both. It's light, has excellent optics, a very useful range of magnification, fits in the bag, gives comfortable viewing. It has replaced my MM3 60 for mobile use, the MM3 now relegated to a tripod in a cabin in the Norwegian wilderness!
Cheers
Per

I'd love to know how the 2 compare if you get a moment, I'm not too tempted to upgrade/change from the my ctc but would be interested to know if there's any significant optical advantages of the stc (I'm assuming it's the stc you have on order?)

I'll eventually offer some views, Will: but I'm afraid I won't have the luxury of a side-by-side comparison. The CTC has had to form a p/x for the STC.

I'm an infrequent scope user (and even less so since I started to wrestle with an NL12x42 as something of an all-rounder) but I enjoyed the CTC, not least because of the portability and unencumbered (by tripod etc) useability. Fashionable they are not: functional they absolutely are.

I'm hoping the STC will offer similar optical performance, and additionally confer the benefits of being more robust and even more portable / versatile. For context, the STC will mainly be used from inside my camper / travelling hide, and will also occasionally be carried in my pushbike rackpack as a complement to my Victory Pocket 10x25.

I'll eventually offer some views, Will: but I'm afraid I won't have the luxury of a side-by-side comparison. The CTC has had to form a p/x for the STC.

I'm an infrequent scope user (and even less so since I started to wrestle with an NL12x42 as something of an all-rounder) but I enjoyed the CTC, not least because of the portability and unencumbered (by tripod etc) useability. Fashionable they are not: functional they absolutely are.

I'm hoping the STC will offer similar optical performance, and additionally confer the benefits of being more robust and even more portable / versatile. For context, the STC will mainly be used from inside my camper / travelling hide, and will also occasionally be carried in my pushbike rackpack as a complement to my Victory Pocket 10x25.
Very true with the ctc, never see them out birding, practical - definitely, useful - most certainly, fashionable absolutely not!

Sounds like you need to make an anti rotation plate that has recesses on both sides to fit the foot and the top of your tripod head, this would stop the rotation issue. 3D printing would be an option if anyone has the dimensions. Some thin rubber sheet could also help.

Peter
I used to have the problem, with my scope working lose and rotating on the quick release plate,although not with a Swarovski. It would happen every week until I wrapped simple plumbers PTFE tape around the threads.

It is used to seal threaded joints in the real world

Since using 14 months ago, I haven't had to retighten once

I used to have the problem, with my scope working lose and rotating on the quick release plate,although not with a Swarovski. It would happen every week until I wrapped simple plumbers PTFE tape around the threads.

It is used to seal threaded joints in the real world
That's a neat idea. Thank you!

Hermann

Very true with the ctc, never see them out birding, practical - definitely, useful - most certainly, fashionable absolutely not!
There are IMO a few reasons why so few people use a CTC or comparable drwatube scopes (doesn't Meopta still make one?):
  • It's a straight scope, and straight scopes are (usually, not always) less convenient than angled scopes: You need a larger tripod and so on.
  • A drawtube scope is less water resistant than other scopes. I wouldn't want to useone in really wet weather, no matter what the manufacturers say. (BTW, the Optolyth 30x75 of old that looked exactly like the CTC leaked like a sieve ...)
Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back