• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ATC/ STC 17-40x56 Telescope (1 Viewer)

I've had the good fortune to use an ATC 56 for a few weeks now, and my observations are a little different. I use it it on the Gitzo GT1545T Traveller - the plate it comes with is fairly small. When scanning on a flat railing or wall, without the tripod, I've been pleasantly surprised at how rock steady it is, scanning at 17x is great, and going up to 25x for scanning has been fine. It's not something I plan to do regularly, but as the scope is in my camera bag anyway, I can if required. It's a great combination with the Gitzo, it's the same weight as my camera and lens I carry over my shoulder all day long.
It's certainly heavier and chunkier than the other <60mm alternatives but to put it bluntly, they are not want you want to be using to use on a regular basis due to the quality of the eyepiece - I was directly comparing it with the Kowa this morning, which has such a tiny, narrow eyepiece that's pretty uncomfortable for long scans - and this is where I see the biggest difference, this might well be aimed at the travelling birder, whereas the ATC for me is designed for everyday use. The ATC eyepiece however is big, wide and chunky, like a big boys scope, no big difference to using the 65 or 85 (I've had both for many years), it's a very comfortable mismatch with the objective. It doesn't feel like you're using a tiny scope when scanning, and scanning through shorebirds for an hour is no discomfort - scanning at x17 is also much more pleasant than x25, as a starting point. At x40 I found it razor sharp, and though ATX65/85 are excellent at x60, I so very, very rarely went beyond x40 anyway.

I thought it would be a scope I would use for travelling or hiking. However, during these weeks I've come to realise it's absolutely adequate for my everyday birding - though I don't go to gull roosts nor do long-distance seawatching, or anything as unsavoury as that anymore!
Quality vs size/weight comparison will mean I am most likely to use the ATC 56 the vast majority of the time now - it'll be interesting to see if I do decide to use my ATX65 on any particular occasion actually as the more I think about it, the more I doubt I will.

James

James,

After more than 1 year, what do you think of the scope based on your usage for birding in the rainforest and other habitats? Cheers.

James,

After more than 1 year, what do you think of the scope based on your usage for birding in the rainforest and other habitats? Cheers.
Hey Jason, it's outstanding. I no longer use my ATX on tours, just this. Lightweight, compact and even the eyepiece is the same size as the ATX, it doesn't really feel like I'm using a small scope. I really enjoy being able to start out at 17x.

Two issues, one minor, one not-so - ocular lens cap has a habit of going missing, which matters when there is no case (I'd love a super slim, tight case for it). Though the one obvious flaw, is it can't be carried long distances on the tripod, as there is no secondary pin keeping the quick release in place, it's spinning lose regularly, so I always carry it separately from the tripod. Perhaps I should just super glue it in place.

Hey Jason, it's outstanding. I no longer use my ATX on tours, just this. Lightweight, compact and even the eyepiece is the same size as the ATX, it doesn't really feel like I'm using a small scope. I really enjoy being able to start out at 17x.

Two issues, one minor, one not-so - ocular lens cap has a habit of going missing, which matters when there is no case (I'd love a super slim, tight case for it). Though the one obvious flaw, is it can't be carried long distances on the tripod, as there is no secondary pin keeping the quick release in place, it's spinning lose regularly, so I always carry it separately from the tripod. Perhaps I should just super glue it in place.

Hio James thanks and I have just received the green colour too and sending back the ATX65 after many years. How about using the Loctite red colour on the 3/8 thread? I have applied a bit of the loctite on the thread of the arca swiss plate. Hope it will works as advertised and see you again in Sabah next time.

Last edited:

I just found this scope. While I usually don't like zoom oculars, this one is very attractive with such a wide AFOV at the lowest power.
Another thing I don't like with zoom is the decreasing eye relief as the power increases.
This scope is stated to have 20mm ER. I assume it is at 17x. Or have Swarovski succeeded to keep constant ER from 17-40x?
I don't know if it's even possible.

Last edited:
I just found this scope. While I usually don't like zoom oculars, this one is very attractive with such a wide AFOV at the lowest power.
Another thing I don't like with zoom is the decreasing eye relief as the power increases.
This scope is stated to have 20mm ER. I assume it is at 17x. Or have Swarovski succeeded to keep constant ER from 17-40x?
I don't know if it's even possible.

Same with other scopes I used, I don't extend the eyecup and found the fov to be similar throughout its zooming range for ATC and STX without moving my eye position while zooming the eyepiece

Same with other scopes I used, I don't extend the eyecup and found the fov to be similar throughout its zooming range for ATC and STX without moving my eye position while zooming the eyepiece

Ok! So if it works with eyeglasses at 17x it may work at 40x too. I need to find a dealer so I can try this out.
It's the first time I really find a zoom spottingscope interesting.

Hi - I’m using a small makeshift leather washer and it holds fine - it’s a thin circular leather off cut with a hole cut in the middle of it for the thread to go through

Attachments

• IMG_4867.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 62
Hi - I’m using a small makeshift leather washer and it holds fine - it’s a thin circular leather off cut with a hole cut in the middle of it for the thread to go through
Which tripod are you using? I have the same head, but am looking for a lightweight but stable tripod...

Rebirder reports that the ATC "can't be carried long distances on the tripod, as there is no secondary pin keeping the quick release in place, it's spinning lose regularly, so I always carry it separately from the tripod." He has therefore resorted to fitting a leather washer. IMO any scope that spins loose regularly is not fit for purpose, especially one costing £2000. I suggest Swarovski has (unusually) made a serious mistake here. A product recall or free retrofit leather washer (with royalties to Rebirder !) may be in order.

Rebirder reports that the ATC "can't be carried long distances on the tripod, as there is no secondary pin keeping the quick release in place, it's spinning lose regularly, so I always carry it separately from the tripod." He has therefore resorted to fitting a leather washer. IMO any scope that spins loose regularly is not fit for purpose, especially one costing £2000. I suggest Swarovski has (unusually) made a serious mistake here. A product recall or free retrofit leather washer (with royalties to Rebirder !) may be in order.
Hi - it wasn’t me that reported that it couldnt be carried long distances. However it’s clear that the 2 surfaces (tripod and scope) can’t grip well enough hence the need for the home made adaption!

Hi - it wasn’t me that reported that it couldnt be carried long distances. However it’s clear that the 2 surfaces (tripod and scope) can’t grip well enough hence the need for the home made adaption!
Yes, you are right. My mistake. It was James Eaton. Apologies.

Has any other ATC owner had a problem with the scope "spinning loose" ? It's a bit alarming if any scope, let alone a £2000 one, can drop to the ground off the top of a tripod.

Does it depend on the material on the top of the QR plate ? I have plates with "knobbly" rubber or cork on the top which gives a bit of friction. Does the ATC have the customary flat foot to attach a QR plate, and if so how much surface area does it have ?

Last edited:
Yes, you are right. My mistake. It was Jason Bugay Reyes. Apologies.

Has any other ATC owner had a problem with the scope "spinning loose" ? It's a bit alarming if any scope, let alone a £2000 one, can drop to the ground off the top of a tripod.

Does it depend on the material on the top of the QR plate ? I have plates with "knobbly" rubber or cork on the top which gives a bit of friction. Does the ATC have the customary flat foot to attach a QR plate, and if so how much surface area does it have ?
Yeah if you have the rubber/cork element it does fix better with the half shell on - I’m just using the leather washer as an extra security measure

Yeah if you have the rubber/cork element it does fix better with the half shell on - I’m just using the leather washer as an extra security measure
My ED50 has a safety line to the top of the monopod because the thread in the foot tended to pull out of the early ones :) Nikon fixed mine FOC and I have not had a problem since. I wouldn't expect to need something like that on a £2000 scope from Swarovski. Does the ATC have the customary flat foot, and if so how big is the foot ?

My ED50 has a safety line to the top of the monopod because the thread in the foot tended to pull out of the early ones :) Nikon fixed mine FOC and I have not had a problem since. I wouldn't expect to need something like that on a £2000 scope from Swarovski. Does the ATC have the customary flat foot, and if so how big is the foot ?
This topic has been discussed several times in this thread. I don't like the foot AT ALL. I believe the design of the tripod foot is, to put it bluntly, idiotic. How anyone can design a tripod foot nowadays WITHOUT a safety pin is beyond me.

Search for "ATC+foot". There's plenty of information on this thread. BTW, the first thing I'd do is use a 3/8'' screw and ditch the 1/4'' to 3/8'' adapter. Forget about cork and the like, it doesn't work. The only good combination is metal on metal. But that won't work here. I'd also use a tether. That's the second thing I'd do.

Hermann

Is this your experience?
Strange, 'cause I've carried mine connected to the tripod for miles on the flats and in the mountains: always been aware of the potential problem, but not had it spinning loose.
Per

Yes, you are right. My mistake. It was Jason Bugay Reyes. Apologies.

Yeah if you have the rubber/cork element it does fix better with the plate

Yes, you are right. My mistake. It was James Eaton. Apologies.

No problem with mine. Put a bit of locktite on the 3/8 thread of the Arca Swiss plate on day 1, so far so good and always carry the scope mounted on the tripod plus with the digiscoping adapter too.

I went for a bird surveys with speedboat daily last week and the scope were mounted on the tripod and even with the strong vibration, the plate still intact.

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_.convert_tmp_files_IMG20240226171516_20240308060455.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back