• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from leica (1 Viewer)

It's puzzling Vortex is not a sponsor of the bird fair considering their popularity with birder's.

I know nothing about sponsoring Bird Fair but being a sponsor usually means paying money up front and it looks like the UK Vortex importer and / or Vortex don't think its worthwhile or have other plans for their promotional budgets.

Meanwhile we had better get back to Leica's new babies......

Lee

Yes, it is very exciting. I wonder if people are already lining up in front of the gates to be the first to see this revolutionary product? ;)

---
Update: my sources have told me that the new revolutionary product which according to Leica is a culmination of "a century of knowledge" is just an open-hinged Trinovid

Last edited:
Yes, it is very exciting. I wonder if people are already lining up in front of the gates to be the first to see this revolutionary product? ;)

---
Update: my sources have told me that the new revolutionary product which according to Leica is a culmination of "a century of knowledge" is just an open-hinged Trinovid

That would be pretty stupid marketing...:-C

My source (google) tell me, though a bit miss-spelled...:

"Leica Noctovid 8x42 Binoculars
2 025,00 GBP
Exceptionally well balanced due to the compact design of the binocular tubes, and covered with a durable rubber armouring, the Leica NOCTIVID offers an ..."

Looks like we have a new top-of-the-line model from Leica...
:t:

Within 2 hours we know whats true and not...

Last edited:
"The designers have managed to integrate up 12 lenses in the new models NOCTIVID This to ensure observation quality that meets the most stringent requirements. The glasses (high transmission) SCHOTT HT TM are guarantors of true colors to reality. Binoculars Leica NOCTIVID have lenses for which new high-temperature plasma processes were used, this to perform treatments the light transmission is perfectly uniform throughout the entire light spectrum, with the final full color neutrality and images perfectly clear.

innovative screen systems for capturing excess light, deliver optimal reduction reflections and maximum contrast. Changing the inclination of the lens, helped push further sharpness at the edges of the image"

http://archyworldys.com/binoculars-new-leica-noctivid-8-and-10-x-42/

I guess the above is an auto-translation from this french site:

https://www.francenetinfos.com/nouvelles-jumelles-leica-noctivid-8-10-x-42-146745/

Attachments

• Noctivid_10x42_HD_3D-2.jpg
    Noctivid_10x42_HD_3D-2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Nouvelles-jumelles-LEICA-NOCTIVID-8-et-10-x-42.jpg
    Nouvelles-jumelles-LEICA-NOCTIVID-8-et-10-x-42.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
New from Leica - Leica Noctivid
View this email in your browser

New Leica Noctivid
Unparalleled Viewing Experience
Distilled from 110 years of experience. Named after the Athene noctua, the symbol of wisdom, knowledge and insight, the Leica Noctivid are the best binoculars we’ve ever made.

Stylish and compact, they offer the perfect balance of attributes for crystal clear seeing experiences. Easy one-handed use, large eyepieces, incredible depth of field, clean contrasts and the perfect combination of light transmission and colour density. Unparalleled viewing.

Leica NOCTIVID delivers an unrivalled experience for the user, packaged in a compact, elegant yet incredibly robust design.

Exceptionally well balanced due to the compact design of the binocular tubes, and covered with a durable rubber armouring, the Leica NOCTIVID offers an outstanding grip and sits comfortably in the palm of the hand.

Precision is unmatched. Thanks to a newly-designed focusing wheel, which allows pin-sharp focusing on even the tiniest of details bringing distant objects into view instantaneously.

Small and light enough to be carried on every trip, the Leica NOCTIVID is available in a choice of 8x42 and 10x42 providing exceptional viewing in all light conditions.

Engineered with 12 glass lens elements, the NOCTIVID ensures first class optical excellence even in the most challenging situations. Manufactured with high-performance SCHOTT HT™ (High Transmission) glass, the binoculars deliver incredibly natural colour rendition, while thanks to a special new high-temperature ‘plasma deposition process’. The premium-quality lens coating guarantees perfectly balanced light transmission throughout the entire wavelength range of visible light. This results in a breathtakingly bright and colour-neutral viewing image.

Additional innovations include ingenious ‘baffle systems’ to suppress stray light keeping reflections to an absolute minimum while retaining maximum contrast. Furthermore, the lens radius has been modified to improve sharpness right up to the extreme edges of the viewing image.

For challenging weather conditions, Leica’s innovative AquaDura® coating ensures a stunning crystal-clear view at all times. Water and dirt simply roll off the lens surface and fingerprints are easily removed with a soft cloth. Furthermore, each model is waterproof to a depth of five metres.

Extremely durable and designed for a long working life, the Leica NOCTIVID incorporates a patented, hard surface coating (class 8) delivering additional protection for all exposed metal surfaces of its robust magnesium body.

8x42 135 m field of view 92% light trasmission

10x42 112 m field of view 91% light transmission

Uffffff........not very nice at all

If the transmission curve is flat, it's very good, swaro claims 90%..
more than that is not to be expected with SP-prisms.
Remember that these are REAL numbers not allbinos "happy go lucky" measurements.

A smaller FOV will mean less distortion. But still a bit larger than the SV:s.
No doubt field flatteners is implemented.

The high weight is a disappointment for me,
but more and bigger glass in the eye pieces takes its toll.

The Noctivid is not a clear upgrade from any of the alphas...considering the specs
but definitely the best-looking...

Last edited:
Leica sure does not try to trump with specs. Looks like the usual Leica way of evolution in small steps ...

More info now on the Leica website: http://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Noctivid

The blurb talks about better baffling and better ease of view. These things don't show in the specs but are of real use if there is indeed an improvement on Leica's already good level in these disciplines. Curious to hear birdfair visitors first impressions.

Cut-way

Last edited:
Leica sure does not try to trump with specs. Looks like the usual Leica way of evolution in small steps ...

More info now on the Leica website: http://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Noctivid

The blurb talks about better baffling and better ease of view. These things don't show in the specs but are of real use if there is indeed an improvement on Leica's already good level in these disciplines. Curious to hear birdfair visitors first impressions.

Cut-way

Good glare handling would be a major point.
Perhaps you could see the Noctivids as the perfect blend of Swaro SV and Zeiss SF...what a coincidence...;)

Pretty much what I have been looking for.
The only concern is the weight.
Would be nice to have a Leica with good eye relief in the house though..

Well, some handy incremental steps :t: , and the odd stagger or two backwards! :eek!:

Increased Eye Relief = big tick
HT glass and colour neutrality = tick
Better baffling and stray light control = tick
Flatter field/sharper edges = tick
Better balance and ergonomics = tick
Compact size = tick
Increased Transmission (92%) = tick
(should make about 95% in Allbino's test then if the figures for the Conquest HD are anything to go by ! :) :cool:

No increase to quite ordinary field sizes = meh

Significantly increased weight = what the ! -> fail ! :storm:

Jury still out on CA handling,

and ?¿? Increased Depth of Field ?¿? ----> is this a genuine innovation along the lines of the patent? or Zeiss style OTT marketing fluff? ('coz surely claiming 2 turns as "fast focusing" is ! :)
This is what our native English website says ...... "ensure image plasticity almost like in 3-D. Thanks to superior contrasts and uncompromisingly large depth of field,"

Could our roving reporters live on the scene check this last part out for us? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Talk about unimpressive... They claimed introduction of HT glass would improve the transmission from the HD to the HD+, which most tests have revealed to be untrue. The HD+ still had a fair amount of CA. Oh, and they are now the heaviest of the alphas.

Last edited:
Way too heavy.

I guess I'm just simple to please. All Leica had to do to make a new
world class bino:

Same small size and keep 7x in the lineup

Single hinge like Vortex Razor and Nikon HG

Reduce weight (very important) - 22-24 ounces for an alpha level 42mm bin should be the goal.
16-17 oz for 32mm.

Innovate on the focus mechanics making it super precise and easy to get optimal focus; the best we've
ever seen.

CA control on the level of Zeiss and Kowa

Same great Leica colors and contrast with excellent color balance

Higher transmission

Wider FOV than Uvid with large sweet spot or flat field

That's about it for me.

Looks like Noctivid may have done a few of those things.
We shall see, but so far I am very disappointed by weight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back