• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Hawke Frontier Apo vs Nikon MHG (1 Viewer)

I did more tests this morning and while the fov is slightly narrower than what the specs boast, it's ok. It's probably around 415-420ft.
I'm not sure what biased my tests yesterday, maybe bad eyecups/hinge setup.

Hi, I acquired the Hawke Frontier APO 8x42 recently and I have just given them a quick test:

• effective field of view is 395-400ft, not 426ft (I compared them side-by-side with a 395ft binoculars and a 426ft binoculars)
  • focus wheel revolution: 0,9 turn
  • image is bright enough
  • eyecups too large and not so comfortable but it's ok
  • good click/position on eyecups
  • design average/ok
  • weight ok
  • not so compact but ok/average
  • glare control ok (better than the Viper which is the worse with its 2 almost-permanent grey stains)
  • sharpness edge to edge good
  • image quality (colours and neatness, CA control) looks good but not able to judge to be honest

Conclusion: balanced binoculars with no major flaws. Just a massive deception on the fov at 395-400ft, still it remains very good.
That is a big inflation on the FOV though. The Nikon MHG has a big advantage in FOV.

I bought my 10 x 42 Hawke APO based on the build quality of a cheaper pair which was excellent. I have 2 x Nikon Monarchs and I am a lifelong NiJon photographer- and highly rate Nikon gear but to be honest the Hawke optics handling and build quality is just superb. a friend has a Zeiss pair and they equal it for clarity.

I've just spent a lengthy time with both ED X and APO 8x42. Bought the ED X.

The APO had a green cast, horrendous roller ball to the point I would say jello feeling on the edges when panning.
The ED X is better than my 8 x 42 Victory FL..I really mean that.

I've owned a lot of Alphas and now I'm proud as punch with a £400 piece of glass that gives me all that an Alpha can and change for beer and gin.

"The ED X is better than my 8 x 42 Victory FL..I really mean that".

How much gin have you had? :). (joke).
This just shows how different we all perceive the view through the glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back