• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New OM-1 (5 Viewers)

There's a number of webpages dedicated to recommended settings for this camera. Can anyone recommend one in particular for someone not used to Olympus/OM cameras? I don't think my film OM4 camera experience will help much!

There's a number of webpages dedicated to recommended settings for this camera. Can anyone recommend one in particular for someone not used to Olympus/OM cameras? I don't think my film OM4 camera experience will help much!
A few months ago, but I think I started off with this thread in DPReview: hopefully this link will work (there is an Excel spreadsheet to download - worth reading through the responses as some have more detailed & birding-specific hints based on user experiences). Link at OM-1 Settings Spreadsheet: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I've read lots of other bits & pieces from other users & since made a few changes but hopefully a starting point there. I also found it useful to download the full manual & "invested" about £12 in getting it printed & bound. At least you get to start with the new, much improved menus! If you have any specific queries feel free to ask.

I found this one to be the most comprehensive. They also have a Youtube version.

A few months ago, but I think I started off with this thread in DPReview: hopefully this link will work (there is an Excel spreadsheet to download - worth reading through the responses as some have more detailed & birding-specific hints based on user experiences). Link at OM-1 Settings Spreadsheet: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I've read lots of other bits & pieces from other users & since made a few changes but hopefully a starting point there. I also found it useful to download the full manual & "invested" about £12 in getting it printed & bound. At least you get to start with the new, much improved menus! If you have any specific queries feel free to ask.
Self-promo here: I run workshops on the OM-1, with official support from OM-Systems. Either 1:1 or in small groups. Previously I worked very closely as a training provided for Canon on stills and video products, so I know my way around R5 and R6 (and Sony /Nikon) in detail too (not the EOS R3, a friend is official Canon trainer on that camera).

There is some excellent information about using the OM-1 on the web, but some very inaccurate info too. It is never just about applying a list of settings, but knowing how they affect camera behaviour and the way you use that to gain maximum benefit.

I believe he is talking about the original film OM1. Cameras were a bit more simple in those days. I had an OM4 which was about as complicated as they got.
Right....the 'film OM-1". I have even done a bit of bird photography with the film. Grab a zoom for the OM-1 Film and shoot away. A bit more difficult though depending on the bird, location, light etc. But it makes a person slow down and appreciate nature more, in my case.

Back in the 70ties to a little into this century, I was using a film camera (minolta) with a manual focus lens for bird photography. Not being very rich, that certainly limits how many shots you take per bird! Getting a digital where shooting more was essentially free was a luxury!
Niels

Back in the 70ties to a little into this century, I was using a film camera (minolta) with a manual focus lens for bird photography. Not being very rich, that certainly limits how many shots you take per bird! Getting a digital where shooting more was essentially free was a luxury!
Niels
Yes looking back I wonder why I bothered. Especially as I didn't have much money then. Digital photography was a total game changer. My first digital camera was an Olympus bridge camera in 2001.

Yes looking back I wonder why I bothered. Especially as I didn't have much money then. Digital photography was a total game changer. My first digital camera was an Olympus bridge camera in 2001.
This brings back memories. I had a Pentax P30n and a Sigma 400mm lens. I seem to recall that I once got a reasonable shot of a turnstone on the beach at Bamburgh. But I soon gave up until the joys and freedoms of digital came along.

Still, it was fun (if expensive) trying.

Malcolm

I began shooting digital with cameras with some Canon superzoom in the mid 2000's....up to then, all film. The Canon wasn't much and the images, as I look back on them suck, but, it was a way to capture birds in Ecuador and at least ID them. You mean, I can press the shutter down more than one time and get images and not have to pay for them? Really...? That revelation alone was worth the price of the Canon Superzoom .... I think 5-6mp... jim

My first digital was a nikon coolpix 4500 where I am not sure how long the zoom was. Then in front you could place an extra lens, I believe a 3x extender. No EVF and a tiny screen on the back. Then I graduated to a superzoom with an EVF, just so much better. Then after horrible results in the dark forests of Costa Rica, Panasonic came out with a m4/3 and the 100-300, and it was light enough that I did not break my back carrying it! The price to pay for improved quality was moving to the PanaLeica 100-400. I do not want a lens heavier than this. But i might want the OM1 (digital) or I want to move forward with a newer and better Pana camera to go along with it - that is the great thing with two brands sharing the lens fit even though they should have made more things shared (such as making the combined IS work across platform).

But I am cheap, so change of camera will wait a bit more.
Niels

Right....the 'film OM-1". I have even done a bit of bird photography with the film. Grab a zoom for the OM-1 Film and shoot away. A bit more difficult though depending on the bird, location, light etc. But it makes a person slow down and appreciate nature more, in my case.
Fascinating how the world has changed. I shot half my career on film. I came back from a month long assignment, shooting Elephants for a magazine and cursed because I had to get 30 rolls of film through the X-Ray machines unscanned...

Now we have incredible miracle machines like the OM-1 for so little money and so little weight.

Last edited:
Fascinating how the world has changed. I shot half my career on film. I came back from a month long assignment, shooting Elephants for a magazine and cursed because I had to get 30 rolls of film through the X-Ray machines unscanned...

Now we have incredible miracle machines like the OM-1 for so little money and so little weight.
I have traveled overseas with film...new and undeveloped and I have had no issue. If you present the 'container of film' to any TSA in any country, they handle it okay from what I have seen. I shoot film and digital overseas but still find the analog feel to be better. But, I don't shoot elephants, so I can't say what I might use with that. jim

Good to know there are some about now. Was wondering how you're getting on with your OM1 ... and if yesterdays smart Night Heron was with the Oly or Canon?
Only just got my OM1 and don't know what I'm doing yet, but, yes, used that; nice to christen it with a local Night Heron. Canons & Sony put aside for the moment....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back