• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Both the camera, UR-E20 and the scope adapter are ok.
I do not have a photo of it now. (Getting dark here now) But I modified a photo in Adobe Elements so it looks the same. (Scope at 20x and no camera zoom)

As you see in the image it is a shading from the aperture. When I halfpress the shutter it will go away and then come back when I release it. I hear that is is the aperture mowing. And at aperture at 3.0 and higher the shade is always there.

If you have a long tube ( toilet roll core will do or roll up some paper ) hold it over the lens and zoom the lens in and out. If there is a problem with the lens then the vignetting circle will be off-centre. Otherwise is it possible that the scope eyepiece is not centered properly?
Neil.

Just tried out the P5100 for the first time today.I must say that i'm pretty impressed.I used it with a Kowa 823,32mm lens kowa adapter and ure-20.
I've so far been using a Coolpix 8400 and I have been happy with that but the P5100 is much lighter, had no vignetting and Iwas able to crop the photos with no detrimental effect.
Looking forward to giving it another go soon.

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 262
Very nice results Martin. The advantage of the P5100 over the 8400 is also the extra reach. Even in Macro Mode it's 43 v 37 mm and at the top end it's 120 v 85 . It all helps.
Have you tried to compare the two cameras on the same subject. That might be interesting.
Neil.

Thanks for your comments guys.
I took the p5100 for a test in the field yesterday, I managed a few decent shots but I think there is some room for improvement.
I think I had the sharpness setting too high (2), the close ups seem a bit 'harsh' also the metering was auto.
I thought that it might fare a bit better with the sharpness setting a bit lower and spot? metering?

I was particularly impressed at the cameras ability to capture detail at a longer distance, the redshank must have been 50m away, but I think I should make some adjustments in the settings for close up work.

Attachments

• 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 099_filtered-Edit.jpg
    099_filtered-Edit.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I have a P5100, UR-E20 and hopefully (if the order goes through) an Opticron ES 80 GA ED + HDF 20-60x zoom. What would I need to connect this lot together? Would like to be able to try other eye pieces out at a later date as well

Cheers

Jon

I have a P5100, UR-E20 and hopefully (if the order goes through) an Opticron ES 80 GA ED + HDF 20-60x zoom. What would I need to connect this lot together? Would like to be able to try other eye pieces out at a later date as well

Cheers

Jon

I've got the same kit, except I don't use the 20-60X for photography. I have a smaller wide angle lens that works muvh better. I've never really tried the zoom on a low mag. I think you'd be struggling on a high mag. to get sharp images.

In terms of bolting it all together, the Eagle-eye adaptor may work - I use this for my lens, and it just nips up with screws. The UR-E20 scresw onto the adaptor - prob. worth giving Eagle-eye a call.

Cheers for the info, which WA eyepiece do you use, I have pondered getting one specifically for digiscoping. My scope might even turn up tomorrow, fingers crossed.

I am thinking of buying the P5100. My current setup is Sony DSC-W70 + Sony Adapter + Kowa TSN-DA10 Adapter + Kowa TSN 883.

What adapter do I need to connect the P5100 to the Kowa TSN-DA10 Adapter?

Also is there a fairly compact cable shutter release mechanism available that attaches directly to the camera. When not actually taking photos I like to put the camera in my jacket pocket.

I will have to buy mail order so if anybody can recommend a good site / shop I would be grateful.

Thanks.

I am thinking of buying the P5100. My current setup is Sony DSC-W70 + Sony Adapter + Kowa TSN-DA10 Adapter + Kowa TSN 883.

What adapter do I need to connect the P5100 to the Kowa TSN-DA10 Adapter?

Also is there a fairly compact cable shutter release mechanism available that attaches directly to the camera. When not actually taking photos I like to put the camera in my jacket pocket.

I will have to buy mail order so if anybody can recommend a good site / shop I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Hi birchall

You will need a 28mm kowa adapter ring (product code PTL5281) that fits over your TSN-DA1.Then you will need a Nikon URE-20 adapter, this fits to your camera then screws to your 28mm kowa adapter.
I usually gert my gear from Warehouse Express http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3046&brand=140

Hope this helps.

Martin,

Many thanks for the info and prompt reply.

I cannot believe the price of the two adapters on warehouse express. They are going to cost me nearly one third as much again as the camera.
Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Thanks again.

Brendan

Nikon P5100 with Kowa 883

Hi all,

A great thread and I think I have got the correct info but I want to double check before ordering....

I want to connect my 5100 to 883 plus 20-60x zoom, and I understand I need the following;

1) Kowa DCA DA-10
2) 28mm Kowa adapter ring PTL5281
3) Nikon adapter UR-E20

Is this correct? or are there alternative set ups to consider?

Where is the best place to order the UR-E20?

I also need a cable release rig for the camera, what are the options?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I am asking questions which have been answered previously.

Campkins are listing the UR-E20 cheaply, but I am currently waiting for my one to turn up as its out of stock. Got a really good deal on the 2x tele converter and the wide angle add on, just cant use them yet as no UR-E20 to connect them to.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back