• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff P7 8x42 vs Nikon Monarch M5 8x42 vs Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Devil in the Detail

United Kingdom
First post but would like to wish all a Merry Christmas first and foremost.

I’m in the market for 8x42 ( possibly 10x42 ) with good clarity, depth of field and reasonable FOV. Weight is another important factor so under 650g is a must. I know the M5 have a lower FOV than the other two but if it’s sharper edge to edge then I can live with that. These binoculars will be a Jack of all Trades instrument, using for wildlife/birding/general and stargazing. My budget is £250-300 maximum.

I’ve already ordered the P7 8x42 along with a P3 8x42, the P3 were noticeably dimmer in low light so they’re definitely going back. Any opinions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated thanks.

There is no substitute for what you are doing …… look through the ones in your price range.

You can read spec sheets until your eyeballs fall out, you can read the endless circular debates here over whether or not 2% more brightness is significant. (it isn’t, since it is undetectable) You can go through many, many posts offering advice which varies between well thought out and worse than useless.

It still comes down to what “works” for you. Good luck in your search, and be happy with what you end up choosing.

Come back and let us know, and remember to not just use them on birds. Look at everything, and you will discover many things which you would never have even known were there.

There is no substitute for what you are doing …… look through the ones in your price range.

You can read spec sheets until your eyeballs fall out, you can read the endless circular debates here over whether or not 2% more brightness is significant. (it isn’t, since it is undetectable) You can go through many, many posts offering advice which varies between well thought out and worse than useless.

It still comes down to what “works” for you. Good luck in your search, and be happy with what you end up choosing.

Come back and let us know, and remember to not just use them on birds. Look at everything, and you will discover many things which you would never have even known were there.
Great advice.👍

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

If 10x42 is interesting (have you tried a 10x pair and been able to hold it steady for longer observations?) and buying used is an option, the following pair will beat any new 300 quid option...

They were Opticrons top offering at around 2010... not to be confused with the current to dog Aurora VHD... here's a product page and some reviews...

Joachim

Last edited:
The Vortex Diamondback HD 8X42 is actually a decent binocular. I've used one some over the past few months and for the money it's probably hard to beat. I actually liked it better than I thought I would. I see you specified a max weight and price. My best advice is to see if you can tolerate a little more weight and see if you can squeeze out or save another 100 quid. The GPO Passion ED 8X42 is a super binocular for the money. I think it's probably the best one can do at its price point. It's so good you may not ever need another binocular. Good luck!

E35585D6-B6CC-4B0E-963A-5638C29C8455.jpeg

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg

Chuck,
What do you think of the new M7 vs the older Monarch 7 in 8x42.
Andy W.
I think the optics are improved. Sweet spot is larger and seems a little brighter. For sure the build quality IS a step up. For the money it's probably what one is looking for when weight and FOV are the priorities. The GPO is a REAL step up optically. It comes across as a binocular 50% more expensive but it's not.

The Vortex Diamondback HD 8X42 is actually a decent binocular. I've used one some over the past few months and for the money it's probably hard to beat. I actually liked it better than I thought I would. I see you specified a max weight and price. My best advice is to see if you can tolerate a little more weight and see if you can squeeze out or save another 100 quid. The GPO Passion ED 8X42 is a super binocular for the money. I think it's probably the best one can do at its price point. It's so good you may not ever need another binocular. Good luck!

E35585D6-B6CC-4B0E-963A-5638C29C8455.jpeg

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg
Sadly I’ve got to remain disciplined with my budget.

On the subject of the Monarch 7s I’ve located a pair of 10x30 within my budget, the smaller objective lens of these may make any stargazing a bit of a chore though.

Any thoughts on these or am I better sticking with 42mm?

Edit;

I’ve ordered the M5 8x42 to compare with the P7 8x42. I've got them on 30 days approval so plenty of time to compare the two. The P7 are impressive for the price much brighter and sharper than an pair of 7s I tried. However that wanting to get the best bang for buck at my price point means I want to try as many as a possible before splashing the cash.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

If 10x42 is interesting (have you tried a 10x pair and been able to hold it steady for longer observations?) and buying used is an option, the following pair will beat any new 300 quid option...

They were Opticrons top offering at around 2010... not to be confused with the current to dog Aurora VHD... here's a product page and some reviews...

Joachim
Thanks for the link.

I’d prefer to buy new but willing to delve into the secondhand market.

Hi,

used market needs to be divided into used from a reputable business with a no questions asked return policy (which is about the same as buying online new - maybe with less warranty) and buying used from a private seller (which I would not recommend unless in person and you can test the optics beforehand).

If 32mm objectives are an option, this used 8x32 will also be very good - once at the top of Opticrons 8x32 lineup:

Here's the product page and some reviews:

As for 10x30 - there's a reason they're not the most popular size - the 3mm exit pupil is normally pocket binocular territory and the will be a bit dark in bad light plus the tiny exit pupils need very careful eye placement for a proper view.

Joachim

Hi,

used market needs to be divided into used from a reputable business with a no questions asked return policy (which is about the same as buying online new - maybe with less warranty) and buying used from a private seller (which I would not recommend unless in person and you can test the optics beforehand).

If 32mm objectives are an option, this used 8x32 will also be very good - once at the top of Opticrons 8x32 lineup:

Here's the product page and some reviews:

As for 10x30 - there's a reason they're not the most popular size - the 3mm exit pupil is normally pocket binocular territory and the will be a bit dark in bad light plus the tiny exit pupils need very careful eye placement for a proper view.

Joachim
Thank you.🙂

The Monarch M5 arrived this morning. I’ve been back and forth testing these and the P7’s back to back, to be honest the difference to my eyes isn’t much at all.

The P7’s actually appeared brighter against Tree branches backlit by ambient blue skies yet when conditions became gloomier there was barely nothing between them for brightness, maybe the M5’s slightly edged it.

Both binoculars are sharp in the centre but the M5 ‘s sweet spot maybe just a fraction larger, CA rarely seems to effect my ageing eyes even when I go looking for it but then again I’m no expert on that matter. The FOV and weight difference is a definite win for the P7.

Both binoculars are more or less the same costs wise, the P7 some £10 cheaper. If the P7’s had been say £50 less then I’d be sending the M5 back and keeping the P7.

Now I’ve just discovered another brand I’d never heard off until now, Geco. Apparently they’re the GPO’s with another badge on them. I can get these for £202 in a 8x42 configuration, not the Gold ones I hasten to add.

No reviews at all on the Geco ones I can find but I’ve read up on the GPO’s and watched a few YouTube videos. The price seems good if the reviews for the GPO are to be believed, anyone care to chip in whose far more knowledgeable than I and offer any opinions etc?

The Monarch M5 arrived this morning. I’ve been back and forth testing these and the P7’s back to back, to be honest the difference to my eyes isn’t much at all.

The P7’s actually appeared brighter against Tree branches backlit by ambient blue skies yet when conditions became gloomier there was barely nothing between them for brightness, maybe the M5’s slightly edged it.

Both binoculars are sharp in the centre but the M5 ‘s sweet spot maybe just a fraction larger, CA rarely seems to effect my ageing eyes even when I go looking for it but then again I’m no expert on that matter. The FOV and weight difference is a definite win for the P7.

Both binoculars are more or less the same costs wise, the P7 some £10 cheaper. If the P7’s had been say £50 less then I’d be sending the M5 back and keeping the P7.

Now I’ve just discovered another brand I’d never heard off until now, Geco. Apparently they’re the GPO’s with another badge on them. I can get these for £202 in a 8x42 configuration, not the Gold ones I hasten to add.

No reviews at all on the Geco ones I can find but I’ve read up on the GPO’s and watched a few YouTube videos. The price seems good if the reviews for the GPO are to be believed, anyone care to chip in whose far more knowledgeable than I and offer any opinions etc?
Firstly, I am going through the same experience as yourself, but in the USA. Secondly, there is something off about your price points: the current going sale price of the M5 in the USA is $257, while the P7 is $157. A £10 price differential is hard to believe, so check out current sale prices. Thirdly, I grabbed a Celestron Nature DX ED for $120 in a flash sale, so I have an even harder job! I look forward to comparing notes with you.

Firstly, I am going through the same experience as yourself, but in the USA. Secondly, there is something off about your price points: the current going sale price of the M5 in the USA is $257, while the P7 is $157. A £10 price differential is hard to believe, so check out current sale prices. Thirdly, I grabbed a Celestron Nature DX ED for $120 in a flash sale, so I have an even harder job! I look forward to comparing notes with you.
Here in the UK the P7 8x42 retails at £239 whilst the M5 8x42 is at £249. There’s very little between them in the performance stakes. The new dielectric coatings on the P7 makes them pretty evenly matched, the differences are better build quality on the M5 and a wider FOV on the P7.

Here in the UK the P7 8x42 retails at £239 whilst the M5 8x42 is at £249. There’s very little between them in the performance stakes. The new dielectric coatings on the P7 makes them pretty evenly matched, the differences are better build quality on the M5 and a wider FOV on the P7.
The results of your comparison are very helpful. I'm shocked at the UK prices, although I'm originally from North London, so I shouldn't be. Sounds like it would be cheaper for you to order from Amazon US. I spent too much time, yesterday, swapping between them, with the added Celestron confusing me into a heap, so appreciate any commraderie and advice. The P7 felt much more comfortable in my hand than the M5. The Celestron is cheap, has nice optics, is cheap, has a fantastic FOV, is cheap, and I feel it is going to fall apart if I breathe too hard, but -- hey -- I got it cheap. I think that the Celestron is going back.

The results of your comparison are very helpful. I'm shocked at the UK prices, although I'm originally from North London, so I shouldn't be. Sounds like it would be cheaper for you to order from Amazon US. I spent too much time, yesterday, swapping between them, with the added Celestron confusing me into a heap, so appreciate any commraderie and advice. The P7 felt much more comfortable in my hand than the M5. The Celestron is cheap, has nice optics, is cheap, has a fantastic FOV, is cheap, and I feel it is going to fall apart if I breathe too hard, but -- hey -- I got it cheap. I think that the Celestron is going back.
I was looking at the Trailseeker ED 8x42 here but the cheapest price I can find is £329, I don’t think it brings anything more to the table for the extra to be honest. The Geco 8x42 ( GPO brother ) looks good on paper but ordering them from Germany puts me off in case they have to be returned.

I agree that the P7’s are more comfortable in the hand, but the eyepieces just seem cheap and rattly compared next to the M5. Vortex’s Diamondback 8x42 were also a consideration, but they just didn’t seem as bright as either the P7’s or the M5.

I was looking at the Trailseeker ED 8x42 here but the cheapest price I can find is £329, I don’t think it brings anything more to the table for the extra to be honest. The Geco 8x42 ( GPO brother ) looks good on paper but ordering them from Germany puts me off in case they have to be returned.

I agree that the P7’s are more comfortable in the hand, but the eyepieces just seem cheap and rattly compared next to the M5. Vortex’s Diamondback 8x42 were also a consideration, but they just didn’t seem as bright as either the P7’s or the M5.
Actually, my Celestron bargains we're the Nature DX EDs. I liked the recent Cornell Bin Comparison article, especially the Tableau visualization. They ranked the M5 extremely highly, but if I can't tell much difference between a $256 bin or a $156 bin, I shouldn't be spending an extra $100. However, there was an intriguing Opticron Oregon 4PC Oasis that was a top pick and fell into the cheaper range... and I managed to get that on sale, too. It's going to be a fun headache figuring all this out. The Cornell Lab Review: Affordable Full-Size 8x42 Binoculars

Actually, my Celestron bargains we're the Nature DX EDs. I liked the recent Cornell Bin Comparison article, especially the Tableau visualization. They ranked the M5 extremely highly, but if I can't tell much difference between a $256 bin or a $156 bin, I shouldn't be spending an extra $100. However, there was an intriguing Opticron Oregon 4PC Oasis that was a top pick and fell into the cheaper range... and I managed to get that on sale, too. It's going to be a fun headache figuring all this out. The Cornell Lab Review: Affordable Full-Size 8x42 Binoculars
The sub £300 market is pretty saturated with Chinese models which more or less perform the same IMO. The exceptions being the likes of Nikon who lay down stringent rules for manufacturing, or so I heard. 😁

I think I’m getting there now.

One more pair I’d like to try and within my budget is the Hawke Frontier HD X 8x42, not many reviews about due the popular ED X I presume. Any thoughts from members here how this would stack up against the M5 and/or the Vortex Diamondback HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back