• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff P7 8x42 vs Nikon Monarch M5 8x42 vs Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 (2 Viewers)

All best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
I’m back home now after an eventful but excruciatingly painful time in hospital. I’ve quickly given the Nikons a once over everything’s fine, even appear a tad brighter that the previous pair I sent back…. I won’t be able to perform a thorough test for sometime.

One notable thing is the that diopter ring on the right ocular lens is notably slacker than previous pairs I’ve tested, with a bit of wobbly play to boot.

I don’t know if this will present a problem down the line and I’m reluctant in sending them back because of the massive price cut I got on these, and they were the last pair.

I’m back home now after an eventful but excruciatingly painful time in hospital. I’ve quickly given the Nikons a once over everything’s fine, even appear a tad brighter that the previous pair I sent back…. I won’t be able to perform a thorough test for sometime.

One notable thing is the that diopter ring on the right ocular lens is notably slacker than previous pairs I’ve tested, with a bit of wobbly play to boot.

I don’t know if this will present a problem down the line and I’m reluctant in sending them back because of the massive price cut I got on these, and they were the last pair.
Glad you are out of hospital and on the road to recovery! I found that the M5 was easy to adjust on the fly, if necessary. (I admit that I really like the locking diopter ring on the M7 ... and I keep saying that to myself to justify spending that extra $200). Also, the M5 was very forgiving in both getting and keeping objects in focus, so you should still be having a clear view even with a bit of wobbly play.

Glad you are out of hospital and on the road to recovery! I found that the M5 was easy to adjust on the fly, if necessary. (I admit that I really like the locking diopter ring on the M7 ... and I keep saying that to myself to justify spending that extra $200). Also, the M5 was very forgiving in both getting and keeping objects in focus, so you should still be having a clear view even with a bit of wobbly play.
Thank you.

I don’t remember seeing that sort looseness and wobble on the previous pair I sent back and it’s not something I’ve seen mentioned in any of the Monarch 5 reviews past or present. I suppose I could order another pair and compare them side by side, or just keep them and if the diopter ring starts to move without adjusting it then I could contact Nikon for assistance.

Thank you.

I don’t remember seeing that sort looseness and wobble on the previous pair I sent back and it’s not something I’ve seen mentioned in any of the Monarch 5 reviews past or present. I suppose I could order another pair and compare them side by side, or just keep them and if the diopter ring starts to move without adjusting it then I could contact Nikon for assistance.
Sounds like a real issue with your pair rather an M5 thing. Better check with the Nikon service folks.

Hi - I know this isn't a new thread but I'd like to share that my M5's are tight all the way around. I have read about bad "CA" (not with mine) and wobbly eye cups, again, not with mine. I believe that all of us M5 owners share the lens cap fitting loosely on the ocular lens side.

The GPO Passion ED 8X42 is a super binocular for the money. I think it's probably the best one can do at its price point. It's so good you may not ever need another binocular. Good luck!

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm curious about these GPO Evolve Binoculars 8x42 ED...

As an owner, could you give us more information about the warranty for the GPO's? Also I'm curious if they are really made in Germany, not saying that China or other countries can't achieve the same quality, but GPO stands for German Precision Optics (*see note below after editing this post). After a quick search I failed to find any precision about these two points on their website...

I'm on my 2nd pair of Nikon Monarch, but both have broken, now I need to "twist" the latest pair with great force while holding them to prevent double vision. Out of warranty of course, I sent them to the local Nikon shop ready to pay the costs of repair, but was told they don't have parts anymore.

So I'm hesitating between M5 & M7 and these GPO, all 8x42. These GPO are the heaviest at 740 g, almost 200 g more than my Monarch 8 x 36 ! else they look good on paper, good FOV, best focus limit, same price or cheaper than the M7. Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 would be the best of both world with their lifetime warranty (?), but they have this shallow focus that I didn't like in my previous Nikon (I understand it's less of an issue with the latest M5 and M7).

* Edit: after some search the GPO are apparently made or assembled in China for the ED series (this would also be the case for these Nikon Monarch BTW), and Japan for the HD. This might be the same optics sold as GECO brand (Beretta!), and maybe formerly Docter and Noblex? They look like good quality, sadly I can't find the lighter GECO in my area or on Amazon.

Last edited:
I'm curious about these GPO Evolve Binoculars 8x42 ED...

As an owner, could you give us more information about the warranty for the GPO's? Also I'm curious if they are really made in Germany, not saying that China or other countries can't achieve the same quality, but GPO stands for German Precision Optics (*see note below after editing this post). After a quick search I failed to find any precision about these two points on their website...

I'm on my 2nd pair of Nikon Monarch, but both have broken, now I need to "twist" the latest pair with great force while holding them to prevent double vision. Out of warranty of course, I sent them to the local Nikon shop ready to pay the costs of repair, but was told they don't have parts anymore.

So I'm hesitating between M5 & M7 and these GPO, all 8x42. These GPO are the heaviest at 740 g, almost 200 g more than my Monarch 8 x 36 ! else they look good on paper, good FOV, best focus limit, same price or cheaper than the M7. Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 would be the best of both world with their lifetime warranty (?), but they have this shallow focus that I didn't like in my previous Nikon (I understand it's less of an issue with the latest M5 and M7).

* Edit: after some search the GPO are apparently made or assembled in China for the ED series (this would also be the case for these Nikon Monarch BTW), and Japan for the HD. This might be the same optics sold as GECO brand (Beretta!), and maybe formerly Docter and Noblex? They look like good quality, sadly I can't find the lighter GECO in my area or on Amazon.
I can’t speak for what you’re describing on your Nikon, but it sounds like they’re old if Nikon doesn’t have any more parts, so time for new binoculars 😆.

Only the GPO HD line is MIJ (supposedly designed in Germany) , the rest are MIC. The GPO ED is a better binocular than the Diamondback , if you get a good mechanical one, I had two and returned both, as well two others I’ve tried I didn’t like. A better choice in optics and where it’s made is the Vortex Viper HD, excellent glass and made in the Philippines, and I believe about near the same price as the GPO ED.

I can’t speak for what you’re describing on your Nikon, but it sounds like they’re old if Nikon doesn’t have any more parts, so time for new binoculars 😆.

Monarch 8 x 36, I bought them new ~10 years ago... so not THAT old. I suppose the model itself was older than that...

1st time they fell on the ground, the eye piece became loose, which was not a serious issue and quickly repaired, under warranty, 2nd time warranty had just expired, and I waited a bit too long to send them back.

The GPO ED is a better binocular than the Diamondback , if you get a good mechanical one, I had two and returned both, as well two others I’ve tried I didn’t like. A better choice in optics and where it’s made is the Vortex Viper HD, excellent glass and made in the Philippines, and I believe about near the same price as the GPO ED.

I'll check these Vortex Viper HD too, they are slightly heavier than the M7, but specs and reviews look good. Also more expensive than the M7 in Europe around 540 euros, I see you get much better deals in the US, lower prices even after taking into account shipping and custom taxes!

I know they are not "heavy" bins, but when carrying a camera and other stuff, with hot weather, I might as well look at the M7 8 x 30, too bad my Nikon 10 x 42 are also a mess now, those 2 models would complement each other...

Monarch 8 x 36, I bought them new ~10 years ago... so not THAT old. I suppose the model itself was older than that...

1st time they fell on the ground, the eye piece became loose, which was not a serious issue and quickly repaired, under warranty, 2nd time warranty had just expired, and I waited a bit too long to send them back.

I'll check these Vortex Viper HD too, they are slightly heavier than the M7, but specs and reviews look good. Also more expensive than the M7 in Europe around 540 euros, I see you get much better deals in the US, lower prices even after taking into account shipping and custom taxes!

I know they are not "heavy" bins, but when carrying a camera and other stuff, with hot weather, I might as well look at the M7 8 x 30, too bad my Nikon 10 x 42 are also a mess now, those 2 models would complement each other...
I agree if your looking to save every weight then the M7 8x30 would be a better choice , if your ok with Country of manufacture. Unfortunately the Viper does not come in 30/32. If you decide on the 42, then there is only a 2oz difference. Although I like Nikon, these to Binoculars Optically are very comparable, but by far I like Vortex warranty and customer Service better than Nikon. Maybe not a bad idea to look around on the used market. I agree with you , 8x30/32 and a 1042/50 is a great combo, cover a lot of ground. Good luck.

Paul

I agree if your looking to save every weight then the M7 8x30 would be a better choice , if your ok with Country of manufacture. Unfortunately the Viper does not come in 30/32. If you decide on the 42, then there is only a 2oz difference. Although I like Nikon, these to Binoculars Optically are very comparable, but by far I like Vortex warranty and customer Service better than Nikon. Maybe not a bad idea to look around on the used market. I agree with you , 8x30/32 and a 1042/50 is a great combo, cover a lot of ground. Good luck.

Paul
Thanks for all the details.

I'll have a try at the M7 7x30. Better than my misaligned 8x36 when it comes to price, weight, dimensions, field of view, and minimal closup distance... that's good for hiking and travel, keep the old 10x42 in the car.

If I'm not happy with the shorter eye relief and smaller exit pupil value, then I'll have a look at something a bit more "comfortable" like the Vortex.

I recently purchased a new Vortex Viper HD 12x50 and briefly used a new Viper HD 10x42. Both are impressive for the money in optical and build quality imo. I am surprised by the compact size for a 10x42.

I used the Viper HD 12x50 this evening after sunset watching Common Nighthawk, hawking insects a quarter mile away. Was impressed with the view.
20230824_143155.jpg20230824_143150.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back