• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning NL binoculars the Swarovski way (2 Viewers)

John A Roberts

Australia
Swarovski has just posted a short video, showing how to clean an NL binocular, using the provided brush and bar of soap.

See at: ✔️ How do I clean my rifle scope correctly? 🧼🧽 ✔️ Where can I find more information about my product? 📚 ✔️How can I send my binoculars for repair? 🧰🔧 In our latest article you will find the answers to exactly these questions - and more: 💡 https://swarovs.ki/YY9D #closer2hunting #seetheunseen | SWAROVSKI OPTIK Hunting |
You might need to click a couple of times to get it started.

With gusto!.jpg

Taking into account the generous use of running water to wash the soap away,
running water might provide a quick fix for some complaints about focusers becoming stiff or uneven due to picking up grit or other debris (?)
- though of course not using water as a high pressure jet to attempt to blast the problem out!

John

:ROFLMAO: I am looking forward on the market to the Swarovski shampoo, some Swarovski moisturing hand cream, and of corse, some Swarovski sun lotion for anti melting binocular armor

I like my Habicht because it is not so sensitiv, and does not need such meticulous treatment :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I like my Habicht because it is not so sensitiv, and does not need such meticulous treatment
Completely agreed 👍 That is one reason I like Habichts and recently I started to use it few times (as nobody bought it from me) while NLs remain in a box with a dehumidifier.

The thing I can’t understand why Swarovski still make Habichts with non-biodegradable thick rubber armor or leather armor. So, if it is ok, why don’t they adapt these materials to make the armor of the NL, etc. Aesthetically it would not be as good as the current armor but durability would be much more extended. Personally I don’t care the look much compared to the durability, which is much more important to me. Of course, different people have different opinions or preferences.

:ROFLMAO: I am looking forward on the market to the Swarovski shampoo, some Swarovski moisturing hand cream, and of corse, some Swarovski sun lotion for anti melting binocular armor
Each to his own, but (sarcastically) I have to wonder if Swarovski is promoting OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) by providing their NL cleaning kit.

I'm certain some will vehemently disagree with the following and rightfully so. Each to his own. Here's my perspective.

Some 40 years ago a renowned wildlife photographer told me the worst thing I could do to a camera or camera lens is to clean them when it's not necessary. Good advice that has worked well for me with binoculars.

My 2003 EL's have been heavily used (I still regulary lead local birding trips) and show obvious brassing (paint worn off), but otherwise are in very good shape. They never have been "shampooed" -- or sprayed with or submerged in water. Rarely, the barrels and removable eyepieces are wiped down with a moist microfiber cloth. Yes, I carefully use photo-lens procedures to clean the lenses, but only when necessary. They're my 'beater pair' -- I haven't used a case or lens covers for perhaps 15 years. The lenses have no scratches and look perfect. Admittedly, I do use the objective lens covers with my newer, seldom-used SV's.

It’s probably absolutely fine, but there’s something deeply troubling about the prospect of running something so expensive under the tap. It would feel so wrong, like a phone or a computer 😳

It’s probably absolutely fine, but there’s something deeply troubling about the prospect of running something so expensive under the tap. It would feel so wrong, like a phone or a computer 😳
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. If a binocular is waterproof and built to withstand inclement weather, at least according to the manufacturer's claims, what's wrong with putting it under a tap? For instance after a seawatch in rough weather with lots of saltspray and sand on the binoculars? There's no better way to get that stuff off.

I've been cleaning my my waterproof binoculars under the tap ever since getting a Leica 8x32 BA in 1994, and I never ever had any problems whatsoever. Not with water or condensation inside the binoculars, not with a sticky focuser. But then I never cleaned my Cl 10x30 under the tap, but only because it never got so dirty. Maybe I shouldn't after reading about the problems some people here had with the focuser afterwards.

BTW, Canon recommends cleaning the 10x42 L IS under the tap or soaking it in a bucket of water ...

Hermann

Attachments

• Canon 10x42 L IS_cleaning.JPG
    Canon 10x42 L IS_cleaning.JPG
    964.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
With my Fujinon 10X70 I will very gently go over the lens(es) with a clean soapy finger, then gently rinse copiously, under a running tap.

Then I either blot dry (don’t rub) or use a puffer.

I do this reluctantly, and no more often than absolutely necessary.

The lens surfaces look like they did when they left the factory.

FWIW, I've always learned that the most important thing in cleaning lenses is to get any hard pieces of grit off the lens surface first, before you move into more serious cleaning (rubbing with a cloth or tissue).

So I'll blow compressed air on the lens and rinse it under the tap as the first step. Or, I'll use sterile cotton balls moistened with water and use a rolling motion to carefully clear the lens of debris first. The second step is then using Opti-wipe pads to gently swab the lens with 100% alcohol. The final step is to breathe on the lens and swab with another opti-wipe to remove any final streaks.

at every step, I'll use the cotton ball or opti-wipe only once and discard. So you don't pick up a piece of grit and rub it on the lens. Here's a link to opti-wipes - these are the best:

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. If a binocular is waterproof and built to withstand inclement weather, at least according to the manufacturer's claims, what's wrong with putting it under a tap? For instance after a seawatch in rough weather with lots of saltspray and sand on the binoculars? There's no better way to get that stuff off.

I've been cleaning my my waterproof binoculars under the tap ever since getting a Leica 8x32 BA in 1994, and I never ever had any problems whatsoever. Not with water or condensation inside the binoculars, not with a sticky focuser. But then I never cleaned my Cl 10x30 under the tap, but only because it never got so dirty. Maybe I shouldn't after reading about the problems some people here had with the focuser afterwards.

BTW, Canon recommends cleaning the 10x42 L IS under the tap or soaking it in a bucket of water ...

Hermann
Yea. I think, maybe hope... its about the brush and soap. Thats surely different.

Swaro recommended running my ELs under faucet.

Wonder if this was an early adopter (earliest issued examples) problem with NLs thats just gotten carried forward here, as we do with stuff. Maybe is no longer? Guy can hope.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've always learned that the most important thing in cleaning lenses is to get any hard pieces of grit off the lens surface first, before you move into more serious cleaning (rubbing with a cloth or tissue).

So I'll blow compressed air on the lens and rinse it under the tap as the first step. Or, I'll use sterile cotton balls moistened with water and use a rolling motion to carefully clear the lens of debris first. The second step is then using Opti-wipe pads to gently swab the lens with 100% alcohol. The final step is to breathe on the lens and swab with another opti-wipe to remove any final streaks.

at every step, I'll use the cotton ball or opti-wipe only once and discard. So you don't pick up a piece of grit and rub it on the lens. Here's a link to opti-wipes - these are the best:

In a tour many years ago of the Leupold factory, they were cleaning all those lens surfaces mid assembly with cotton balls and alcohol. I still do that, gently. I always go to something wet first so as to float away debris. Dont think I would do your breath on lens as any step, unless I was in the middle of nowhere and needed to clean. Never know what sort of havoc those Jalapeno peppers you had for lunch might provoke.

The following attachment offers an excellent guide for cleaning high-end camera lenses and binocular lenses. Their first stated rule (below) is exactly what I was taught more than 40 years ago. In my view, the best rule is to repeat Rule 1.

Rule #1: Avoid unnecessary cleaning of your lens

How to Clean Your Lens and Filters

There are some interesting customer questions to and answers from B&H staff on lens cleaning at the end of their guide.

Last edited:
The following attachment offers an excellent guide for cleaning high-end camera lenses and binocular lenses. Their first stated rule (below) is exactly what I was taught more than 40 years ago. In my view, the best rule is to repeat Rule 1.

Rule #1: Avoid unnecessary cleaning of your lens

How to Clean Your Lens and Filters

There are some interesting customer questions to and answers from B&H staff on lens cleaning at the end of their guide.
Thanks for the link, useful indeed.

I have read about some not wanting alcohol on the coatings, however I've never seen any evidence that this will cause any problems. I do know that Zeiss have an alcohol free wipe but from the reviews it seems not as effective.
I did have some Swarovski lens cleaning solution and believe this was alcohol free, it worked fine and I also agree with the use of a bulb pump and using the cotton wool balls once only as well.
From my experience with Swarovski glass the coatings are quite hardy.
I've never needed to wash a binocular but as others have said with seawater it is probably a good idea, however I'd be extremely careful.
I read somewhere that a Leica had water ingress after a clean or of being in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back