• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new NL Pure 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Another question. By putting on and off the rainguard and also by adjusting the eyecups, every time the eyepieces come loose.
I don't know how to screw them firmly so they stay fixed, or maybe I don't dare to do it firmly. Any advise would be welcome.

This is a problem that has existed with ELs and now NLs. Not sure why Swaro thinks this is a good thing. I discovered the NL rain guard fixes the problem in the ELs.

In the back and forth with folks at SwaroNA, (Rhode Island), who were extremely helpful, I ended up with a spare NL rainguard part #740-938A. My NLs came with a too tight rainguard - same experience as you. But this part numbered rainguard solves the problem in the NL832, just fine.

Not sure this was luck of the draw or is in fact a part Swaro has had made to correct the issue? Give them a call.

I had the same problem with the rainguard, the molded gripper bars on the inside of each eyepiece guard are the problem as they really do grip. They can be removed with a scalpel or similar should you wish.

I found it much simpler to purchase the Swarovski Winged Eyecup set,

which not only keeps peripheral sunlight and wind away from your eyes but is supplied with an excellent rainguard which fits perfectly and, importantly, doesn't move the eyepieces when removed and re-attached.

I also contacted Swarovski and they also send me a spare rainguard. It is less tight, but still a little bit to much. But I think and hope it becomes more smooth a little bit by using it.
Prolly wont wear in, seems wishful thinking. I get it, went there too. Hasn't happened for me in either. Materials are tough.

Again, I do not know if the one they sent was intended to fix the issue or was just luck of the draw. If you turn the RG they sent over, on the underside of one side, there will be that part number. Its very faint, but there. If yours does not have it, Id call them back and describe this convo and ask if they know that part number is intended as a solution, or if not, might they have one with it to send?

Prolly wont wear in, seems wishful thinking. I get it, went there too. Hasn't happened for me in either. Materials are tough.

Again, I do not know if the one they sent was intended to fix the issue or was just luck of the draw. If you turn the RG they sent over, on the underside of one side, there will be that part number. Its very faint, but there. If yours does not have it, Id call them back and describe this convo and ask if they know that part number is intended as a solution, or if not, might they have one with it to send?
I will look into it, see if I find any number.

That is something to consider.
You don't have the problem with adjusting the eyecups?
No, I find that once fitted the winged eyecups fill the gap between the eyepiece and the body perfectly (that is one 'click' up).

Of course that one 'clik' up adjustment may not suit your eyes but once on, they do not move. The supplied winged eyecup rainguard is a much looser fit than the standard one to account for the height of the winged part and does not have the inner grips of the standard rainguard.

Maybe I was not clear. I mean that the whole eyepiece which is screwed on the body comes loose when adjusting the eyecups.

Maybe I was not clear. I mean that the whole eyepiece which is screwed on the body comes loose when adjusting the eyecups.
I understand, removing the tight rainguard can move the eyepieces upwards. If your eyepieces themselves are unscrewing from the main body then you should tighten them down. It will do no harm as they are designed to be removed and can work loose if not properly tightened.

I understand, removing the tight rainguard can move the eyepieces upwards. If your eyepieces themselves are unscrewing from the main body then you should tighten them down. It will do no harm as they are designed to be removed and can work loose if not properly tightened.
Properly tighten is what I am not able to do, maybe don't dare to do.

If it’s the eyepieces themselves you need to snug them down. Screw all the way down to bottom position then give it a little firm tightening, don’t over do it.

If the ocular covers (rain guards) are moving the eyepieces , I’ve found if you put them on just so slightly so that the rubber from the cover and eyepiece grip each other, they stay in place without moving the eyepieces. It’s only when you push them all the down over the rubber eyepiece rings is when they’re on to tight and cause some issues.

Excellent choice!

The strap is a PIA (!) to fit in the case. I use a Rick Young Harness on my 10x42 Pure's.

which easily fits in the case and can be used with all my bino's by purchasing extra clips. The harness is about £30 in the UK and sold by Amazon as well as others.

You will find additional strap mounts in the white box that came with your bino's to replace the original strap mounts fitted to the strap if you do go down the Rick Young route or with a different strap.

Do you think it would it work while also using a peak design strap over my shoulder that I use for the camera?

Do you think it would it work while also using a peak design strap over my shoulder that I use for the camera?
Yes. I use both the PD Slide and Leash straps on my FujiFilm X-H2’s when using the Rick Young harness.

It’s a great bit of kit and my wife has one on her new Canon IS bino’s.

Yes. I use both the PD Slide and Leash straps on my FujiFilm X-H2’s when using the Rick Young harness.

It’s a great bit of kit and my wife has one on her new Canon IS bino’s.
Thank you.
Just ordered from Amazon 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back