• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (100 Viewers)

Hey sorry about the self-promotion - its going to stop soon, someone is really going to put a sock in it very soon - but I have a new arrival - I think I'm going to call him Twist!

Congratulations Joshua!

Your website, feishokman.weebly.com, was born at 1:15am UTC on Thursday, January 2, 2014.

It weighs a healthy 4 pages and 6 elements.

You must be very proud! We're happy and excited for you.

Be sure to spread the word and tell your customers, family and friends!
Sincerely, The Weebly Team

PS this thread is dying a death right, ''the last man on earth was sitting in a room, there was a knock on the door...''

You're madder than a shit-house rat, Josh, but it's something to read of an evening at least.

By the way, Josh, are you in Thailand? Why didn't you mention it before? *insert sarcastic face here*

Slow up on the gear our kid, and stay beautiful xx

I can't offer controversy Stuart, but I can at least report on an excellent day south of the river. Further musings and anecdotes on my blog, but the meat is here.

Beginning at Surlingham Church Marsh, the bright sunshine meant the resident birds were seemingly more active than usual at this time of year. It did not take long to add Marsh Tit, Goldcrest (2) and wintering Siskin to the list. Looking across the river to Wood's End, an early contender for bird of the day: a Peregrine Falcon! Not recorded anywhere on the patch last year, back of the net! A real powerhouse in flight, a female I reckon. The Falcon had forced most stuff off the marsh, but a second treat in the shape of 15! Curlew circled and landed, a patch record smashed and to boot a tricky bird on the year list. Moving on round the muddy circuit, the expected species were added including Bullfinch (female), Lesser Redpoll, Treecreeper and Kingfisher. Heading to Wheatfen, I had amassed 40 species, the only 'dips' being Little Owl and Gadwall (elusive in Winter).

The warden agreed that it had been quiet of late, and the main focus of their work had been dealing with storm damage. I walked most of the circuit and saw very little, let alone new species. The Redpoll hotspot was silent. The 15 Curlew were seen again, circling over Rockland now. Into Tuck's (Surlingham) Wood and I fared a little better, picking up Song and Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare and to complete the set Redwing.

I had hoped for a few Wildfowl species on Rockland Broad but as is par for the course there was bugger all on the water apart from a few Coot and Tufted Duck. A Marsh Harrier with a green tag on either wing was of note, this female bird from the ringing project based at Sculthorpe I understand. Walking back to the carpark past Hellington Beck Outfall, something inside me suggested a closer look at the water's edge was necessary. A Grey Heron was flushed, and then the bird of the day was found; a Grey Wagtail. These birds always look so dapper, and apart from an old Church Marsh record from a few years back I had assumed is this species no longer bred on the patch. Now, this could be a wintering bird, but upon close inspection this is ideal habitat; have I overlooked this species? The patch continues to throw up surprises, and another species not recorded anywhere last year. Now on 50 birds, 60 do-able?

Claxton Marshes handed me Short-eared Owls last Winter, no such luck so far this period but an early Barn Owl was out and about. Looking across the river, I cheekily added Golden Plover, Barnacle and Canada Geese. A group of 6 Linnet were a bonus. 2 more Peregine, how the hell did I miss them last year?!

Last stop with the light fading, Langley Dyke. The 2 birds I needed for a nice round 60 soon appeared. A Little Egret was fishing the dyke, and a hunting Barn Owl flushed patch favourite Green Sandpiper! I waited until dark for a Hen Harrier, but instead was treated to the Corvid roost commuting overhead and a calling Little Owl- 61 at the finish!

Mammal totals: 8 Chinese Water Deer, 1 Grey Squirrel and 1 Rabbit. It was warm enough for a Bat or two this evening, I thought.

I occasionally pine after a coastal patch, or at least a location closer to the sea. The chance of finding a rarity increases, passage birds in evidence, sea watching etc. But today reminded me why birding the broads as a patch is hard to beat. Quality and quantity on tap, you just have to find it!

Cheers,
Jim.

I was driving to Strumpshaw today between Blofield and Strumpshaw railway bridge when a large raptor took off beside the road and glided low across the fields. I couldn't get a good look as it was not a safe place to stop but it was brown with a broad white band across the tail. It was about the size of a Marsh Harrier. Could it have been a female Hen Harrier and are there any being seen in the area at the moment?

Ron

I was driving to Strumpshaw today between Blofield and Strumpshaw railway bridge when a large raptor took off beside the road and glided low across the fields. I couldn't get a good look as it was not a safe place to stop but it was brown with a broad white band across the tail. It was about the size of a Marsh Harrier. Could it have been a female Hen Harrier and are there any being seen in the area at the moment?

Ron

There is a hen harrier in the area. I have seen a ringtail over Claxton marshes heading upriver in the late afternoon on two separate occasions in the last few weeks.

Last edited:
There is a hen harrier in the area. I have seen a ringtail over Claxton marshes heading north in the late afternoon on two separate occasions in the last few weeks.
Thanks. I wish I could have stopped to get a good look at it. The light was excellent and I would have had a great view of it over the ploughed field, although my bins were in the boot.

Ron

You're madder than a shit-house rat, Josh, but it's something to read of an evening at least.

By the way, Josh, are you in Thailand? Why didn't you mention it before? *insert sarcastic face here*

Slow up on the gear our kid, and stay beautiful xx

What we need is some controversy !

still haven't told you I'm teaching in Thailand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYAmtVl1UP8

http://www.youtube.com/user/macmilleristheshit
now I have

Gonna get it mate in stack loads - all within the banner of AB of course!!

Last edited:
The sea is in insane form at Holme! I'd of never expected to see Black-throated Diver, Great Northern Diver, Red-necked Grebe, Slavonian Grebe, Shag, Long-tailed Duck, Goldeneye, Mediterranean Gull, Little Gull (albeit from Hunstanton) and big numbers of Red-throated Divers & Red-breasted Mergansers by the first weekend of the year!!! The only thing I'm missing is Velvet Scoter and the rares...

The Wash must be holding very healthy populations of fish, crustaceans & molluscs etc of late following the large numbers of Cormorants a few weeks back and now this...

Robert - http://northwestnorfolknaturalists.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi,

I'm looking for any 'Norfolk Bird and Mammal Reports' for sale. I'm mainly concerned with 80s,90s and early 00's (I would like to know all/any years though). If you have any you don't and want to sell/get rid of please let me know by sending a list of what you have with prices to [email protected]

Also, any other books concerning Norfolk and birds that you may want to sell, please also let me know about these. Cheers.

Titchwell January 6th

Belated New Year greetings to you all. I trust you had a nice festive period.

Today's highlights

Twite - 9 at Thornham Point
Snow bunting 0 4 at Thornham Point
Lapland bunting - 1 at Thornham Point
Shag - 2 west offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 5 offshore
Spotted redshank - 4 on saltmarsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh

Paul

First bit of birding of the year for me today
Ruddy Shelduck - Blickling
Black Brant - Cley - entrance to still closed Beach Rd
Avocet, Beardies, Guillemot, Goldeneye , R T Divers etc at Cley

Had a look for Crossbills around car park at Holt CP .. Nothing much seen or heard there

Titchwell January 7th

Today's highlights

Twite - 3 feeding with linnets on the fresh marsh mid morning
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter - 3 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore

Paul

On a brighter note , Ruddy Shelduck , Mandarin Duck & Kingfisher all at Blickling lake this afternoon , phoned it in to RBA they didn't put it out . Shame on them

Helicopter crashed into the middle of Cley NWT Reserve apparently. Heard flying very low overhead by locals before it crashed – how tragic:-C:-C:-C

Could it really be true?

A birdwatcher phoned Birdline East Anglia with news of not one but three Cedar Waxwings in Norwich y'day. Could it really be true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back