• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (103 Viewers)

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to walk along the river from Cantley to Buckenham RSPB? The OS Map seems to suggest the footpath stops before the latter but I'm sure I've read people saying they've done it.

Also, I've never been to the factory pools at Cantley. Is the best viewing from the public footpaths? I seem to recall people saying you have to sign in?

Lastly, I know Cantley can be great in the autumn but does it attract much in the spring?

All info appreciated.

Will

Cantley

There is a footpath all the way along the riverbank from Buckenham to Cantley: it's superb in the summer for dragonflies and in the winter for geese. As to the factory pools: if you park in the village and walk down past the Rushcutters pub, there's a footpath that takes you to/through them. BUT! You MUST stick strictly to the path at all times. What you'd see depends on the time of year and water levels, but I've seen marsh terns, Baird's SP, Marsh SP etc etc.

Me and a mate popped down to the 'Cantley Pools' last week. Water levels very high no waders, highlight being 3 hobby's passing over. Spoke to a worker there and he told me that they're moving water around to clean out the areas hence why the main pool is so full. How long the cleaner process takes I'm not sure. But he also said that they're not producing sugar at this time of the year so there's not more water flowing anyway so the levels will gradually go down from now on.

Cantley pools can be excellent, particularly in Autumn, 93Birder. I tend to sign in, and if it is quiet I am usually allowed to drive down to the furthest car park. If it is busy on site, and depending who is on the reception, I sometimes have to leave my car outside the factory boundary.

Cracking afternoon session at Rockland Broad this afternoon. Black, Arctic and Common Terns along with Little Gull. Whimbrel, Wheatear, Hobby and Swift the other migrant highlights of the last few days. Full update on me blog, but thems the highlights for those who have better things to do!

Cheers,
Jim.

I arrived late for the Subalpine Warbler 'Party' at Holme because of working, but it wouldn't have made much difference if I had been earlier, as only two people were lucky enough to see it anyway! First YBW there for Norfolk this Spring too, didn't see that either.

Penny:girl:

4 Hobby near Lyng yesterday afternoon but numbers of other summer visitors seemed on the low side still i.e. only a couple of Sedge Warblers but no Whitethroats or Reed Warblers.

4 Hobby near Lyng yesterday afternoon but numbers of other summer visitors seemed on the low side still i.e. only a couple of Sedge Warblers but no Whitethroats or Reed Warblers.

Finding quite the opposite regarding Sedge, Whitethroats and Reed Warblers - all in good numbers and voice at sites all over Norfolk and Suffolk this weekend!!

Glad I got up early!!! WESTERN SUBALPINE WARBLER caught at HBO at 6.35am. Released at 6.50am. Got some cracking pictures! No further sign by 9.45am. Raining on/off all morning, but just stopped.

More pictures and full update on blog.

Attachments

• IMG_9337 crop.jpg
    IMG_9337 crop.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9326 crop.jpg
    IMG_9326 crop.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Titchwell May 6th

Today's highlights

Osprey - 1 west @ 16:00
Garganey - 3 (2 drakes) in reedbed
Spoonbill - 2 on tidal pool
Red crested pochard - 5 on grazing meadow pool
Med gull - 1 over carpark
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Re Cantley sugar factory- ALWAYS sign in at the reception! There is a public footpath that goes alongside the river but in order to see th large pools that attract the goods you need to leave the public footpath, getting caught off the path without a pass could affect other regular birders' access.
It takes 2 mins to sign in so do it!

Ps massive swift movement at strumpshaw this afternoon, being forced into dense clouds by hobbys hunting them, a great aerodynamic display!

Re Cantley sugar factory- ALWAYS sign in at the reception! There is a public footpath that goes alongside the river but in order to see th large pools that attract the goods you need to leave the public footpath, getting caught off the path without a pass could affect other regular birders' access.
It takes 2 mins to sign in so do it!

Ps massive swift movement at strumpshaw this afternoon, being forced into dense clouds by hobbys hunting them, a great aerodynamic display!

I do no worries there! I enjoy carrying a card which says '007 Birdwatcher' written on it ;)

Yellow-browed warbler spring records
A quick search of the net showed there was one in May 2012 in wells wood and nothing for 10 years prior to that. Are there many spring records form the 90's ? If not is this only the second spring record in norfolk ever ?

My day continued to be fabulous, well most of the day! Garganey, tons of hirundines all day. Stood at Holme looking for the YBW, when the pager bleeped up with Osprey over Thornham at 4.18pm. It was then 4.22pm. Raced up the slope to gain higher ground and I picked up the bird going high west just left of Holme Church;):t::t::t: What a Day;)

All pictures of Subalpine Warbler NOW on my blog.

Last edited:
Hickling Rush Hills scrape is excellent at the moment. Late this afternoon it was carpeted with waders, with lots of dunlin and ringed plovers. Among them were three wood sands, 2 greenshank, grey plover, whimbrell, some smart ruff, little ringed plover and of course little and Temminck's stints (and a drake garganey for good measure).

East Runton Hoopoe???

Just picked up on reported hoopoe last Tuesday at Hazelbury caravan park. Gutted, I live next door on Wyndham. Does anyone know who saw it/any more details

Not a bad day at Cley with Arnold's Marsh packed with ringed plover and Dunlin. A little gull alighted in front of Bishop's hide at midday but there was little else of note. I managed to miss the GWE and a hen harrier. There is a sweet family of mice/voles near Bishop's which I enjoyed watching, sadly on my return pm. a magpie had grabbed one and was eating it in the tree outside...what a ****.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back