• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (122 Viewers)

Titchwell May 19th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 on saltmarsh this afternoon
Pintail - 3 late birds still present on the fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler - male reeling on the grazing meadow
Little ringed plover - 2 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Turtle dove - 1 in dead trees this morning
Wheatear - 1 on beach

Paul

Hi all,

Does anyone have a reliable spot for summer Tree Sparrow in Norfolk. Preferably near Norwich or accessible by public transport though anywhere would do. I've tried a few sites without success this spring... it's been ages since I've seen one. If the information is too sensitive for a public forum a private message would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Will

Welney WWT is usually a pretty safe bet for tree sparrow and corn bunting

Looks fantastic, wish i'd gone now. Do they plan to do it again next year?

I believe the intention is to make it an annual event, I think they didn't over promote it as they wanted to have this year to iron out the teething problems and then 'go big' next year, i.e. more advertisement in local press, birding magazines, regional t.v., getting a Packham or an Oddie involved (Simon King would need his own security detail to protect him from Penny (!)). There was obviously a lot of hard work put in by a number of people to make it a success: there is certainly room for a smaller English bird fair earlier in the year. Hope to go again next year!

Grus grus!

There seems to be somewhat of a dirth of genuine bird news on here recently: so for those who might consider visiting the county this Summer, there is probably no better place to see wild Cranes in the UK at the moment than Strumpshaw Fen! A hour or so in Fen Hide virtually guarantees close sightings, with the added attraction of up to five Bitterns flying about!

Attachments

• FEn hide.jpg
    FEn hide.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 159
  • FEn hide best.jpg
    FEn hide best.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 136
Titchwell May 20th

Today's highlights

Spotted flycatcher - 2 in picnic area late afternoon
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh late afternoon
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh mid morning only
Spoonbill - 1 around reserve but mobile
Whimbrel - 1 on volunteer marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh

Paul

Excellent reports and pictures Penny. I think your talents are wasted some birding magazine should sign you up.
Ahhh.....thanks Geoff. Only thing is though, I wouldn't be able to waffle on about other stuff eg cheese scones etc;););)

No Norfolk bird news from me today, twitched outside county;)

There seems to be somewhat of a dirth of genuine bird news on here recently: so for those who might consider visiting the county this Summer, there is probably no better place to see wild Cranes in the UK at the moment than Strumpshaw Fen! A hour or so in Fen Hide virtually guarantees close sightings, with the added attraction of up to five Bitterns flying about!

Are they breeding in the area? Please pm if sensitive.

Walked Burnham Norton Marshes this afternoon. Had the entire place to myself and not a dog in sight;):t: Birds seen: marsh harrier, little egret, grey heron, shelducks, tufted ducks, shovelers, redshanks, avocets, sedge and reed warbler, few hirundines, 2 mistle thrushes, reed buntings, whitethroats, wood pigeons, 2 cuckoos, cormorants, lapwings, little, common and sandwich tern, and a beautiful sunset.

Penny:girl:

Cracking pictures there ! I'm hoping to pop down on weekend if possible with the little fella. Its a Great sight , seeing cranes in the yare valley:)
Shaky

Titchwell May 23rd

Today's highlights

Garganey - drake on fresh marsh
Pintail - female on fresh marsh
Little gull - 1st summer on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 4 male, 2 female + 2 broods (9+2 yng)
Wigeon - 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 1 on saltmarsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 Thornham Point

Paul

The Boys are Back in Town!

After a great day out with Brian Tubby (nearly ten miles around Winterton, Horsey & Strumpshaw) I arrived home to find a Turtle Dove at one of our feeding stations! We had a visit by a duller bird a week ago, so maybe we have a pair again: fingers crossed!

Our East Coast ramble produced several families of Stonechats, hundreds of Little Terns, a Red Kite, a Hobby and some good butterflies, including Wall and a very early Dark Green Fritillary. Nothing much at Strumpshaw except lots of mating Hairy Dragonflies and plenty of newly-emerged Swallowtails.

Attachments

• Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Turtle 3.jpg
    Turtle 3.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Turtle 2.jpg
    Turtle 2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 56
After a great day out with Brian Tubby (nearly ten miles around Winterton, Horsey & Strumpshaw) I arrived home to find a Turtle Dove at one of our feeding stations! We had a visit by a duller bird a week ago, so maybe we have a pair again: fingers crossed!

Our East Coast ramble produced several families of Stonechats, hundreds of Little Terns, a Red Kite, a Hobby and some good butterflies, including Wall and a very early Dark Green Fritillary. Nothing much at Strumpshaw except lots of mating Hairy Dragonflies and plenty of newly-emerged Swallowtails.

I believe we spoke today on the Nelson Head track, well done with the Turtle Dove.
Thanks for the heads up on the Walls.
You really did have a good day after all.

Fabulous day:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back