• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Another Black Headed Bunting? Now that's greedy! Some good pics on twitter.

Where ? Surely Mr. Gantlett got some frame fillers ?

Hopefully a nice find for Mr Prentice ?

Norfolk & UK tick for me happy days, wasn't looking good when I arrived, bird had flushed to a garden south of coast road, it was raining and it was nearly dark. Penny looked like she was about to cry.
After an hour some good birding brains (AKA banwell, gregory & Clarke) thought it would be a good idea to check where the bird had been seen earlier and low behold there it was !!

Last edited:
Yes, along with the female on Helgoland yesterday.
On a serious note, it seems the B.B. Albatross has been hanging around the aforementioned island all day, only c260 miles away & with favourable winds.....

Indeed. Although the albatross comes from somewhere completely different. Does anybody keep BH Buntings nearby? http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&sa=X&ei=VFmGU9P0B4jWPLmFgLAK&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBg A reasonable question to ask given two records of a uber rare species within three days within the same locality? To date over the same period no records of BH Bunting at any of the more usual, well watched localities, Spurn, Fair isle et al. Suspect the BBRC would ask the same questions?

Last edited:
After an hour some good birding brains (AKA banwell & gregory) thought it would be a good idea to check where the bird had been seen earlier and low behold there it was !!
AND my brains – we all saw it together, not crying now!!!;););) It was Ashley that actually re-found it though, THANK YOU! Very happy bunny:t: Just home at 10.30pm. Bird last seen going into garden opposite at 8.40pm. Drenched, boots filled with water, pager not working either! Always look back where the bird was first seen/found, pays off most of the time:-O

Birdforum needs to have a smilee that's doing a happy little dance!

Thank you to Ian Prentice who found this awesome bird and making my evening!!!

Picture taken at 8.39pm in rain and dire light!

Attachments

• IMG_4228 crop.jpg
    IMG_4228 crop.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
AND my brains – we all saw it together, not crying now!!!;););) Very happy bunny:t: Just home at 10.30pm. Bird last seen going into garden opposite at 8.40pm. Drenched, boots filled with water, pager not working either! Always look back where the bird was first seen/found, pays off most of the time:-O

Thank you to Ian Prentice who found this awesome bird and making my evening!!!

Sorry Penny, I ammended my post. That was a proper twitch, we refound the bird and only had about 10-15 people for company. Happy days

Last edited:
Some decent birds found today, more of the same tomorrow? Friday could be very interesting if the rain ticks overnight on thursday. Good luck fellow Norfolkians, spare a moment for us marooned in the central belt...

That was a proper twitch

Having been to see the Bunting this morning, it's interesting that you say it was a "Proper Twitch" last night - The behaviour of those who "re-found" the bird last night was being discussed at length this morning, most people present were amazed that the bird was still around this morning after the actions of those the night before... but then it's all about seeing the bird and sod anyone else, right? :t:

Having been to see the Bunting this morning, it's interesting that you say it was a "Proper Twitch" last night - The behaviour of those who "re-found" the bird last night was being discussed at length this morning, most people present were amazed that the bird was still around this morning after the actions of those the night before... but then it's all about seeing the bird and sod anyone else, right? :t:
I think what Stuart means is, the excitement of going to see a very rare bird, putting it simply.

Were all the people present this morning there last night? Or were they fed gossip that has been twisted? Did they see OUR 'behaviour'? I don't know why people were amazed the bird was still there this morning?! The bird wasn't flushed or driven out, in any way shape or form!!! I fully expected the bird to be there this morning. All we did was walk on rough ground that joins the field edge and overlook the garden, quietly and slowly. The bird wasn't in the garden and it wasn't flushed (birds do fly of their own accord). It obviously favoured the hedge on the other side of the road. We walked back to join the rest of the birders standing on field edge, walked past them, crossed the road and went to look for the bird where it was seen earlier. We saw it fly across from the field (distantly) into the hedge. Read my blog post for the rest. I am not going to type the whole thing out again. The bird went into the garden to roost and was not disturbed at all, slept, got up and going by the pager has spent the majority of the day in favoured hedge.

OR were the people discussing this, maybe referring to the birders that got there way before I arrived.... who walked the field to flush the bird so the initial masses could see it (so I heard). Obviously that hasn't been mentioned!!!!

Anyway, glad lots of people got to see this fabulous bird today:t:

Off out birding now.....

Penny:girl:

Last edited:

behaviour?? you mean actually looking for it rather than standing around waiting for it to land on the end of your scope!! Not sure what you were behaviour were watching, all I saw were a few blokes and Penny wandering around looking it and a lot looking at their feet.

Last edited:

Exactly what behaviour? We returned to the scene following Penny et al ringing it out to find a few birders there with the bird perched in the top of a bramble. It moved to a more distant bush of its own volition (no pushing). Some birders moved closer, but still no pressure. Light was going fast and the bird flew over us back towards the road at which point most of us left.

On the subject of captive birds, I used to call in at Geoff Smith's aviaries at Attlebridge before he retired and sold up a few years ago. Over the years I saw a cage full of Rose-coloured starlings, a similar cage full of black-headed buntings, male Siberian thrush, an eye-browed thrush, a cage with five Egyptian plovers, dickcissel and other potential vagrants alongside all the exotics. Often Geoff didn't know what he had got (he thought the sibe thrush and the eye-browed thrush might have been a pair). It seemed that he would simply buy part of a shipment and it was pot-luck what he actually received. Quite distressing really, especially when you think that this must have been repeated at numerous dealers across the country.

I've no idea what you are talking about, I arrived about 7.45pm no sign of the bird, most people who had seen it left over the next half an hour, it was not looking good. A couple of us decided to walk behind the buildings to try and relocate the bird and low and behold we did, it flew and landed in its favoured hedge, we then set up scopes and called over the 15-20 people still around. We all enjoyed good views. I watched it for 5-10 minutes and nobody went any nearer to the bird, I went home for dinner !! End of story. That to me is a proper good twitch, not too many people, we all saw the bird, nobody flushed it and everyone went home happy.

Seems I've finally broken my Blakeney Point curse. After 2 depressingly quiet visits, I was very pleased to see not only the Icky this afternoon but a stonking male black red, some spoonbills, spot fly and a few other bits a bobs. Had a quick look for the Greenish but to no avail. Good too meet some of the regulars up there too.

Gutted to see the Black-headed Bunting showed again this eve. It was not playing ball in the early afternoon. A leisurely stroll from Cromer to Sheringham produced very little except a couple of groups of Gannets moving east close inshore. The horse/sheep paddocks at the Shire Horse Centre at Beeston Regis had a Hooded/Carrion Crow. On one side it looked pure Hooded, on the other, not so much.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back