• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Dipped out on the BLACK STORK over Ringstead/Old Hunstanton and then just as I pull in the drive, news of a LITTLE BITTERN comes up at Snettisham Coastal Park! Should have stayed at home!:-C

Titchwell May 23rd

Today's highlights

Little gull - 8 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Osprey - 1 west @ 07:20.
Red kite - 1 east @ 14:45
Hobby - 2 west

Paul

Someone might be able to tell you about some closer on north Norfolk farmland, but if not then either head north to Stiffkey Fen, or follow the A148 east and have a look on Holt Lowes.

Staying in Little Snoring this weekend, could anyone please advise the best place for Turtle Dove nearby?

Personally I would rather this wasn't answered on a public forum at this time of year - Yes it's repeating the same old story but we have to be extremely vigilant of any scarce breeders for a variety of reasons...disturbances by birders, photographers and also remarkably still egg collectors! Please don't take offence as it's a general reply and in light of a recent theft of eggs from a raptor's nest.

Cracking Red-spotted Bluethroat at Blakeney Point last night, found by Andy Stoddart.

More pictures on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_5616 crop.jpg
    IMG_5616 crop.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5803 crop.jpg
    IMG_5803 crop.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Personally I would rather this wasn't answered on a public forum at this time of year - Yes it's repeating the same old story but we have to be extremely vigilant of any scarce breeders for a variety of reasons...disturbances by birders, photographers and also remarkably still egg collectors! Please don't take offence as it's a general reply and in light of a recent theft of eggs from a raptor's nest.

Which is why he sent me a PM :t: The request can be put on a forum but the reply doesn't have to be.

Dear Norfolk Birders,

My good friend Gary Prescott (aka the Biking Birder) is repeating his adventures of 2010 by cycling around the UK visiting every RSPB and Wildlife & Wetlands Trust and seeing as many species as possible, all in aid of charity gaining sponsorship as he goes (RSPB, WWT, Asthma UK and an orphanage in Peru where he spent some time on previous travels). Further details and his travels so far this year are on his blog (sort of uptodate): http://bikingbirderridesagain2015.blogspot.co.uk/

This time around he has altered his schedule to maximise his birding opportunities as he aims to connect with over 300 species (he is currently on 204 as of this evening) and as a result is spending to whole of May in East Anglia.

Gary would be very grateful for any information regarding the following birds that are currently missing from his year list; I appreciate some could be sensitive breeders whilst others are relatively common (but time is of the essence in trying to connect as quickly as possible):-

Garganey, Grey Partridge, Quail, Crane, Golden Pheasant, Montagu's Harrier, Rough-legged Buzzard, Honey Buzzard, Hobby, Spotted Crake, Little Stint, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Jack Snipe, Green Sandpiper, Stone Curlew, Caspian Gull, Turtle Dove, Long-eared Owl, Short-eared Owl, Nightjar, Red-backed Shrike, Woodlark, Shorelark, Grasshopper Warbler, Marsh Warbler, Savi's Warbler, Golden Oriole, Little Tern, Black Tern, Ring Ouzel, Tree Pipit, Snow Bunting, Lapland Bunting

Any information (depending on its nature) can be posted on the forum, PM'ed to me to pass on or emailed direct to Gary at: [email protected]

Many thanks in advance
Phil (and Gary)
I see Gary was featured on Springwatch Unsprung tonight in quite an extensive interview. I don't know if it is available on iPlayer if you missed it.

Ron

Thanks for clearing that up Penny, regarding Turtle Doves there are a pair near to me that have been purring for a few days.

Pat

Titchwell May 27th

Today's highlights

Avocet - 100 on lagoons
Little gull - 11 on fresh marsh this morning
Black tailed godwit - 118 on fresh marsh. Highest count of the spring
Curlew sandpiper - 2 summer plumage birds on fresh marsh this afternoon
Red crested pochard - 11 on Patsy's reedbed this afternoon
Short eared owl - 1 sat on grazing meadow fenceposts this afternoon

Paul

Just seen some photos on Facebook of a snowy owl in Bowthorpe. No doubt an escape but might be worth checking if you live nearby.

scratch that now confirmed as an escape (no surprise).

My apologies for any confusion. I took it that it was the next post and therefore a reply to my query. Anyway, back on track. So where's the best place for Turtle Doves at the moment. By PM of course!

Harrier Help?

Could anyone PM me about Montague harriers? Have never seen one and would really like to know how! Hope this is the right place for this message...

Turtle Doves

My apologies for any confusion. I took it that it was the next post and therefore a reply to my query. Anyway, back on track. So where's the best place for Turtle Doves at the moment. By PM of course!

Phil, they're still quite well spread throughout North Norfolk but locally scarce. It's well recorded that at present they can be found near Fakenham, Stiffkey, Titchwell and to the North West near Thornham. Up till last year they could be found purring from the lamp posts around Morrison's car park in Fakenham. There are a pair this year in the latter vicinity. Also there are some near Blofield if you look at a friend's bog....Birds of the Heath.

Good luck, Pat

Could anyone PM me about Montague harriers? Have never seen one and would really like to know how! Hope this is the right place for this message...

There's a pair of Montagu's Harriers at Blacktoft Sands RSPB reserve up in Yorkshire on the south side of the Humber. RSPB have publicised the fact and the wardens up there are very helpful, telling you the best time to see them and where to look.

Montagu's Harrier

Thanks for the reply Nick. But I think I live about 10 minutes away from the ones in Norfolk, so I was really asking where best to view them in Norfolk (the alternative being trying to search out the nest myself and risk disturbing them!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back