• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (83 Viewers)

Good post Mark

As a frequent visitor to Norfolk, I have always received help and guidance of local birders and seen some great birds as a result of their assistance.
So thank you.

regards

Merlin

C/R Twite - Thornham

Evening all,

Since November nine colour-ringed Twite have been recorded in Thornham Harbour – four from Derbyshire, four from West Yorkshire and the one I’m about to ask about. On the 22nd November a Twite with green over yellow was recorded but unfortunately it didn’t allow views of its other leg – has anyone seen it and managed to get a full combo?

27 Twite this morning in the car park coming to drink from the puddles - red/orange x red/metal and red/black x pink/metal noted.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I've been puzzling through this fascinating flock too and I haven't had your specific green/yellow bird but I had a green/orange on RL and red/metal on LL last week which I'm waiting to hear back on.

https://twitter.com/Twite_news

Plus a Black/Yellow RL but like you, couldn't get the other leg yet so if anyone sees that one...

They've been a bit flighty, understandably, this last couple of weeks with the amount of people about but hopefully it'll quieten down a bit now and we can get more detail on the rest, as I'm sure there's at least one other C/R combo there.

Irene

Hi Robert,

I've been puzzling through this fascinating flock too and I haven't had your specific green/yellow bird but I had a green/orange on RL and red/metal on LL last week which I'm waiting to hear back on.

https://twitter.com/Twite_news

Plus a Black/Yellow RL but like you, couldn't get the other leg yet so if anyone sees that one...

They've been a bit flighty, understandably, this last couple of weeks with the amount of people about but hopefully it'll quieten down a bit now and we can get more detail on the rest, as I'm sure there's at least one other C/R combo there.

Irene

Hi Irene,

Thanks for the reply - will keep searching for green/yellow.

Green/orange x red/metal was ringed as a juvenile in October on Rishworth Moor and I think you'll find your missing combo is black/yellow x red/metal which is from the same site and ringed as an adult of the 25th October.

Purple Sandpiper on boulders under Hunstanton Cliffs this afternoon.

Robert

Titchwell January 4th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - male over the reedbed late afternoon. 2 ringtail + male to roost on Saturday evening
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh this afternoon
Woodcock - 1 in/off sea and landed in dunes this afternoon. 20 reported flying out of the scrub at dusk on Saturday evening
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool
Barn owl - 2 hunting over the grazing meadow
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Chiffchaff - 2 present
Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Avocet - 33 on fresh marsh
Mediterranean gull - adult on fresh marsh mid-afternoon

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Irene,

Thanks for the reply - will keep searching for green/yellow.

Green/orange x red/metal was ringed as a juvenile in October on Rishworth Moor and I think you'll find your missing combo is black/yellow x red/metal which is from the same site and ringed as an adult of the 25th October.

Purple Sandpiper on boulders under Hunstanton Cliffs this afternoon.

Robert

Thanks for the update, Robert. Always interesting when you get quite a few birds ringed at the same site turning up at the same wintering spot.

I could do with that Purple Sand having a Heacham/Snettisham awayday!

Irene

Titchwell January 5th

Today's highlights

Chiffchaff - 2 near carpark in scrub
Scaup - drake offshore with common scoter
Woodcock - 1 in/off sea
Peregrine - 1 hunting over reserve
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs in reedbed
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Avocet - 32 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on tidal pool
Greenshank - 2 on tidal pool
Goosander - female on tidal pool
Stonechat - 2 on grazing meadow
Common scoter - female on fresh marsh
Little gull - 2 offshore

Paul

Titchwell January 6th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - ringtail to roost with 12 marsh harrier
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Chiffchaff - 2 in carpark
Avocet - 28 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on tidal pool
Goosander - male briefly on fresh marsh this morning
Marsh tit - 2 on feeders
Peregrine - 1 hunting over reserve again
Brambling - 2 on feeders
Barn owl - 3 hunting around the reserve late afternoon

Paul

RFI Flitcham Pallid Harrier & Blackborough End Tip

I dipped the PH when it first turned up at Flitcham, but am finally having another bash this weekend. Where is the best (/less disturbing) place to scan from? 100m or so east of the car park, along the road? using the reserve car park?

Separate query: does anyone know whether Blackborough End Tip is operational at weekends?

thanks in advance

James

Titchwell peregrine

This interesting looking peregrine was photographed in the dead trees by David Burns yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't see the bird myself but it does look a bit different but that maybe because I don't see peregrines up close that often.

The brown and rather pale head was the thing that struck me. I assume that it is a juv but not really see one like that before. The bird was big although size is not apparent. It was tussling with the marsh harriers at dusk and was reported as 'nearly as big'

Probably juts a 'normal' peregrine but interested to see what others think

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0009_5.jpg
    IMG_0009_5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0010_3.jpg
    IMG_0010_3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0008_5.jpg
    IMG_0008_5.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0007_5.jpg
    IMG_0007_5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 196
I dipped the PH when it first turned up at Flitcham, but am finally having another bash this weekend. Where is the best (/less disturbing) place to scan from? 100m or so east of the car park, along the road? using the reserve car park?

Separate query: does anyone know whether Blackborough End Tip is operational at weekends?

thanks in advance

James

WHAT reserve car park??? The car park was always too small for its purpose, with 2 disabled spaces and room for about 6 other cars. Most of the non-disabled parking has recently been converted into a pond. A newly planted hedge has also eliminated one of the 'just-about-squeeze-in' spaces. There is now just about space for two non-disabled cars, as long as one of them doesn't have a passenger, because there is a tree in the way of the passenger door... :( Not surprisingly, when I was there there were cars abusing the disabled facilities.

Titchwell January 7th

Today's highlights

Avocet - 29 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh but mobile
Hen harrier - ringtail to roost with 10 marsh harriers
Bewick's swan - 6 west over the reserve this morning
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow

Paul

James

Blackborough End Tip is strictly private. There is no access to view the tip without trespassing on Middleton Aggregates land. Some individuals have permission to stand on Middleton Aggregate land having sat H&S tests and have to wear high vis and hard boots. Trespassing will cause problems in the future for those that have permission and may impact on long-term data collection there. The position is similar to Pitsea Tip I believe - private.

Sometimes the gulls loaf in the fields nearby and can be viewed from the road and layby.

Hope that helps
Dawn

This interesting looking peregrine was photographed in the dead trees by David Burns yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't see the bird myself but it does look a bit different but that maybe because I don't see peregrines up close that often.

The brown and rather pale head was the thing that struck me. I assume that it is a juv but not really see one like that before. The bird was big although size is not apparent. It was tussling with the marsh harriers at dusk and was reported as 'nearly as big'

Probably juts a 'normal' peregrine but interested to see what others think

Paul

Hi Paul,

I saw a similar (or the same?) peregrine on the ground at Cley early one morning before Christmas.
It was fairly distant and it had me going initially but, like you, I decided it was a juvenile fairly quickly. It had odd head markings, exactly the same markings as illustrated as a plumage variation in the Collins Birdguide.

I was interested to see a report of a tundra falcon on the BF Birdnews map about a week later. Perhaps that's what I saw. Who knows.

James

Blackborough End Tip is strictly private. There is no access to view the tip without trespassing on Middleton Aggregates land. Some individuals have permission to stand on Middleton Aggregate land having sat H&S tests and have to wear high vis and hard boots. Trespassing will cause problems in the future for those that have permission and may impact on long-term data collection there. The position is similar to Pitsea Tip I believe - private.

Sometimes the gulls loaf in the fields nearby and can be viewed from the road and layby.

Hope that helps
Dawn

Dawn: thanks; no trespassing intended! I was indeed hoping that the birds would be on the adjacent fields, and thus visible from the A47. Just keen to know whether the tip is operational on a Sat. James

It was lovely to hear three Song Thrushes singing simultaneously at Shotesham Ford this afternoon at dusk. A real new year treat. Three Grey Wagtails flew in to roost also including a singing male. Only one Little Egret roosted in the usual spot but hopefully a few more will join this bird soon.

Steve.

Titchwell January 9th

Today's highlights

Avocet - 29 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow
Common scoter - 200 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Marsh tit - 1 on freeders
Marsh harrier - 14 to roost

Paul