• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (102 Viewers)

Jane Turner said:
I'm hoping to be staying with a prominent BF member ;)

Jane - sorry didn't put that very well - what I mean't was, if you saw all those fantastic birds last time you were here, you must be very lucky to be with, and therefore I want to be in the same area at the same time if you are going to see loads of good birds this time!!!!!! ;) Have a great time.

Best Wishes Penny

Jane Turner said:
I shall be making my once every 15 year trip to Norfolk on Friday..... so watch out!

weather looks promising...
planning a little sojourn there with Pete this weekend. mebbe see you around?
you can find us some good birds....(please).

dave..

:girl:

Weather forecast & birds

Looks like the high pressure over Scandinavia and NW Europe is going to push a few birds our way, expect to see a good arrival of thrushes, finches & Brambling in Norfolk over the next few days, hopefully along with a few goodies.

Heres hoping!!!!!

Jane Turner said:
I shall be making my once every 15 year trip to Norfolk on Friday..... so watch out!

Hi Jane

Frank and I will be at Titchwell on the Saturday - I think we are doing their guided walk. If you see a very tall, long haired, bearded geezer and me (a shorter, non-bearded but long-haired female<g>) both carrying white L series lenses, that's us! It would be great to meet you and anyone else on BF who happens to be about :)) Have fun!

Didi

Took a walk from my home to Cart Gap yesterday afternoon and saw a few Redwings, Song Thrushes & Blackbirds in the hedgerows along the way. Skylarks were quite numerous too and a Snipe flushed from barley stubble may have been a migrant.

James

On my way to work there is an area called Millfleet, near the quayside in King's Lynn, where the river runs through the town, there is lots of bushes there and a small reed bed, the banks of the river are very very steep and a kingfisher is resident here. I regularly look in here on way to work and had fantastic views of two grey wagtails bounded up and down after flies in early morning sun yesterday. Several records of Yellow Browed Warblers I notice on Birdline last night.

Jane Turner said:
My last visit coincided with the arrival of the Cley Pacific Swift, a Desert Warbler, Oriental Pratincole and Sociable Plover. My target bird is Gray's Gropper!

Well I was at all those! Don't remember you there, though.....
Have a good one!

I've had two large (200+) flocks of Redwings over the house today! Stuff is obviously moving! Mind you, I saw a larger flock at Banham last Sunday.....

Last edited:
davebenj said:
Plastic = escaped

Am I right?
(Not up on a lot of the jargon...)

Dave

Quite right, Dave! Escaped (or otherwise 'dodgy'!)
I've always enjoyed the jargon of twitching: there are lots of threads on here about it!
My favourites have to be : unblocker, grip (off) and string!

OK I'm an optimist, but for what it’s worth, this is the weekends predictions of rare birds in Norfolk:

American Golden Plover - moving between fields in the Glaven Valley, Cley and Stiffkey.

Radde’s Warbler - either on Blakeney Point or Winterton Dunes

Common Rosefinch - on Blakeney Point

Yellow-browed Warbler -and/or Pallas’s Warbler - Holkham Pines

Pallid Swift - flyover somewhere along the North Norfolk Coast

Anyone agree / disagree?

Ilya Maclean said:
OK I'm an optimist, but for what it’s worth, this is the weekends predictions of rare birds in Norfolk:

American Golden Plover - moving between fields in the Glaven Valley, Cley and Stiffkey.

Radde’s Warbler - either on Blakeney Point or Winterton Dunes

Common Rosefinch - on Blakeney Point

Yellow-browed Warbler -and/or Pallas’s Warbler - Holkham Pines

Pallid Swift - flyover somewhere along the North Norfolk Coast

Anyone agree / disagree?
Broadly agree - I was reading up on Pallid Swift for exactly this reason last night! I'm struggling to visualise Radde's at Winterton though - Wells Woods, more likely.

I'd add Pallas's Warbler in Trimingham cliff-top wood as a likely (though perhaps underwatched) spot as well.

Plus a few flyover Richards Pipits... Blyth's would go down well.

This would all be very nice, especially if it's me that finds any of it.... but I'd really like one top-notch thrush. Eye-browed, Dusky, Whites... don't mind, I'm not choosy! ;)

rare bird predictions in Norfolk

dbradnum said:
Broadly agree - I was reading up on Pallid Swift for exactly this reason last night! I'm struggling to visualise Radde's at Winterton though - Wells Woods, more likely.

I'd add Pallas's Warbler in Trimingham cliff-top wood as a likely (though perhaps underwatched) spot as well.

Plus a few flyover Richards Pipits... Blyth's would go down well.

This would all be very nice, especially if it's me that finds any of it.... but I'd really like one top-notch thrush. Eye-browed, Dusky, Whites... don't mind, I'm not choosy! ;)

Agree totally with pipits. Blakeney the obvious place, but if not Skolt Head or East Hills if anybody checks them and if not, then somewhere between Sheringham and Kelling. Probably Richard’s, but Blyth's or Red-throated possible (mates just found Blyth's on Shetland). Can't see the thrush happening, but fingers crossed. Sib Thrush at Wareham Green if anything anywhere.

Last edited:
Quite probably... but I need to build up a certain amount of enthusiasm to face the M11 on a Friday night! We'll have to wait until Sunday night to assess how much is fantasy and how much reality.

Having said that, it's more than just having a laugh - if you know what's realistically likely to turn up, read up on the ID, listen to the calls on CD and so on, then you're considerably more likely to find that bird than the next guy!

Got back a short while ago from a saunter around Happisburgh village and unfortunately things were very quiet. There was more about yesterday afternoon. Hopefully some stuff will make it's way in over the weekend - I'm sure a light rain would work wonders.

James

Another question (although I never got an answe to my last one!)
I am intrigued that a (the) juv Whiskered Tern has spent the afternoon at Titchwell after the 'erroneous' report from Brancaster Y'day! Anybody know any details as to the original sighting and why it was then reported as erroneous?

PS Tranquility Base: what are you suggesting when you said that you didn't see Jane at the Swift - nothing Contentious I hope!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back