• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (100 Viewers)

Well I have agreed to volunteer on a stand for a registered charity at Wild About Norfolk, so my birding this weekend will be minimal to non-existent. I thought Friday evening might be worth a bash because of the east/south-east winds and rain belts moving in from the south, but as others have said looks like the winds are coming from central europe and there is both heavy rain here and rain over Scandi.. Might still be worth a bash with a break in the rain....darn still not enough east... I don't think Saturday or Sunday look especially good either though, with the winds/charts still a bit wrong, although I'm aware Im disagreeing with the punks here! Weather forecast keeps on changing, ups and downs!

Well I have agreed to volunteer on a stand for a registered charity at Wild About Norfolk, so my birding this weekend will be minimal to non-existent. I thought Friday evening might be worth a bash because of the east/south-east winds and rain belts moving in from the south, but as others have said looks like the winds are coming from central europe and there is both heavy rain here and rain over Scandi.. Might still be worth a bash with a break in the rain....darn still not enough east... I don't think Saturday or Sunday look especially good either though, with the winds/charts still a bit wrong, although I'm aware Im disagreeing with the punks here! Weather forecast keeps on changing, ups and downs!

Don't worry - if the long range forecast is right, next weekend looks amazing. Great Snipe guaranteed!

I'm finding this weekend really tricky to predict and changes by the hour. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of a fall of eastern migrants, but I also reckon a good Yank wader's on the cards. I think I'm going to hedge my bets and do Burnham Overy Dunes as every one else is doing Blakeney. Easy stricking distance from East Hills or Wells if the fall does materialise and not far from some decent freshmarshes if it doesn't.

Titchwell September 5th

Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh from 14:50
Curlew sandpiper - 5 juvs on fresh marsh
Roseate tern - 1 reported briefly on fresh marsh late morning before flying towards the sea
Spoonbill - 3 on fresh marsh
Pink footed goose - 3 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 7 on brackish marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on brackish marsh
Arctic skua - 8 offshore
Sooty shearwater - 2 probables reported offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide

Paul

Sacked off Blakeney as too wet and conditions not promising enough
Spent day around Sheringham

Beeston - West Runton
Whinchat 4, 3 at Beeston
Sedge Warbler 1 in clifftop brambles
Whitethroat 6
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff

seawatch 2-5.30, 6 obs

Sooty Shearwater 2W
Bonxie 1W
Grey Heron 7W, 2 and 5
Curlew Sandpiper 6E, juvs, flying in tight steady single file, clearly bigger than Dunlin and more chunky, paler than Dunlin and white rumps noted, seawatching and patch tick - cool
Whimbrel 1E
Little Gull 1W
Fulmar 5W
Red-throated Diver 1W
Wigeon 1W
Common Scoter 1W

I seem to recall (from some years ago) a very similar weather pattern to that at present which brought an influx of Sabines Gulls and Grey Phalaropes to many inland waters across the south of the UK. Given that Tuesday saw 21 Sabs and 55 Grey Phals (11 and 50 respectively on Wednesday) past Bridges of Ross, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat over the next few days. It may well pay off to search any larger inland waterways, particularly in the west of the county...

James

EDIT: Clicking this Birdwatch link will open up a Sabines page with some good info on 'wrecks' including dates and numbers...

Last edited:
that was the Great Hurricane of 1987 (Michael Fish famously looking like a total spanner) and happened mid October, there were two Sabine's inland at Dickleburgh Moor and two more at Welney, the low originated in the Bay of Biscay and wrecked Sabs and Grey Phal all over the south coast, so this low seems to be doing the same, interestingly because its so early in the season ive heard some juv as opposed to 1st win Grey Phalaropes are turning up which are pretty rare.

A strong NW would see me seawatching, but an easterly with a bit of rain or mist and good weather over the continent would see me up Blakeny Point. A string of strong westerlies and I'll be scanning the freshmarshes for Bairds or white-rumped etc.
QUOTE]

incidentally something people havent mentioned is raptors, during the south easterlies last week there was a brilliant passage of raptors at Dungeness and Sussex over a period of some days last week http://www.dungenessbirdobs.org.uk/lateframe.html
This did filter up to Norfolk with Honey Buzzard and an Osprey heading West along the ridge, Incleborough possibly could have been pretty good, perhaps opportunity has gone now, but worth remembering that south easterlies in August / September is probably best time for raptor passage.

If it puts your mind at rest everything probably happened before last weekend - 'highlight' of four hours on Incleborough last Saturday was a grey wagtail west. To be fair conditions were pretty cr*p but 'you never know'. An hour or so at Kelling Heath mid-afternoon did produce a party of four common buzzards high east but that was it. If the forecast for the weekend stays as it is then will see you at Sheringham on Sunday-not likely to be lots of stuff but my money is on some goodies being picked up. Sabs and Grey Phals are definitely on the cards but a repeat of last year's Great Shearwater fest looks pretty remote!

Titchwell September 6th

Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult briefly on fresh marsh @ 12:45 although very elusive
Black tern - 1 over fresh marsh mid-afternoon
Curlew sandpiper - 4 juvs on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 200 roosting on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh
Mandarin - eclipse drake on fresh marsh
Osprey - 1 fishing over Thornham Harbour mid morning
Arctic skua - 7 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Eider - 4 offshore
Whinchat - 1 from Parrinder Hide
Lesser whitethroat - 1 in carpark
Garden warbler - 1 in carpark

Paul

Hi Paul,

2 Ospreys today perhaps? One in the Thornham Harbour area and one along the beach at Titchwell - at least some on site felt two birds were involved...

A good fall further north with plenty of common and scarce, but as expected all above Norfolk really. Tomorrow should be odds on for a good seawatch perhaps taking into account the forecast conditions, the stuff seen further north and the 98 Manxies past Salthouse in 20 mins this afternoon...

A good fall further north with plenty of common and scarce, but as expected all above Norfolk really. Tomorrow should be odds on for a good seawatch perhaps taking into account the forecast conditions, the stuff seen further north and the 98 Manxies past Salthouse in 20 mins this afternoon...

First off looking bang on for a decent seawatch tomorrow, however predicting it will gradually pick up during the day and the evening looks excellent,

at work today but heard the report of 98 Manx past Salthouse, something about it sounded too bizarre not to be true and hit the tanks hoping for a few past, 3 got incredibly distantly, from the top deck, but could still make out the gleaming white underparts and underwings with black fringing, was then joined by the chap who had the 98 who is sound even if he is from Cromer ;) we had another 2 much closer + 4 distant Skuas and 3 Bonxies, hopefully stuff will start passing closer as the wind swings round to NW (from xcweather this will be around 4.)

having said that looks good for a fall tomorrow afternoon as well
Good luck tomorrow :t:

Last edited:
First off looking bang on for a decent seawatch tomorrow, however predicting it will gradually pick up during the day and the evening looks excellent,

at work today but heard the report of 98 Manx past Salthouse, something about it sounded too bizarre not to be true and hit the tanks hoping for a few past, 3 got incredibly distantly, from the top deck, but could still make out the gleaming white underparts and underwings with black fringing, was then joined by the chap who had the 98 who is sound even if he is from Cromer ;) we had another 2 much closer + 4 distant Skuas and 3 Bonxies, hopefully stuff will start passing closer as the wind swings round to NW (from xcweather this will be around 4.)

having said that looks good for a fall tomorrow afternoon as well
Good luck tomorrow :t:

I thought it too bizzare to be true,, particularly given earlier encounter of string (see below), but bang on cue just over half an hour after the report, two largish groups flew past Sea Palling at extreme range, and I guess we missed quite a few as visibility dropped due to a squall around then. Total haul for the day was:

Rush Hill: 2 Curlew Sand, 8 Green Sand, 1 Greenshank, 1 Hobby, but no sign of Marsh Sand, even though a few birders claimed to have seen it and one was "watching" it when I was there (curiously in exactly the same place as the greenshank. Maybe I missed it and it was hidden behind the greenshank the whole time???)

Waxham: 6 Arctic Skua, 1 Great Skua, 1 Med Gull, 2 Little Terns,1 Arctic Tern, 1 RT Diver, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Spot Fly
Sea Palling, 1 Sooty Shear, 17+ Manxies, 3 Arctic Skuas, 1 Little Tern
Cley: 4 Greenshank, 6 Spot Shanks, 1 Curlew Sand.

A bit mediocre, but hoping for more tomorrow, particularly as seawatching looks mega from about 2pm onwards

Last edited:
I thought it too bizzare to be true,, particularly given earlier encounter of string (see below), but bang on cue just over half an hour after the report, two largish groups flew past Sea Palling at extreme range, and I guess we missed quite a few as visibility dropped due to a squall around then. Total haul for the day was:

Rush Hill: 2 Curlew Sand, 8 Green Sand, 1 Greenshank, 1 Hobby, but no sign of Marsh Sand, even though a few birders claimed to have seen it and one was "watching" it when I was there (curiously in exactly the same place as the greenshank. Maybe I missed it and it was hidden behind the greenshank the whole time???)

Waxham: 6 Arctic Skua, 1 Great Skua, 1 Med Gull, 2 Little Terns,1 Arctic Tern, 1 RT Diver, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Spot Fly
Sea Palling, 1 Sooty Shear, 17+ Manxies, 3 Arctic Skuas, 1 Little Tern
Cley: 4 Greenshank, 6 Spot Shanks, 1 Curlew Sand.

A bit mediocre, but hoping for more tomorrow, particularly as seawatching looks mega from about 2pm onwards

You didn't go to Burnham Overy Dunes then Illya as you said you were going to? Wondered why I didn't see you there;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.s. Now writing up today's birding.......

You didn't go to Burnham Overy Dunes then Illya as you said you were going to? Wondered why I didn't see you there;)

P.s. Now writing up today's birding.......

I revised my plan when I looked at the weather and realised a migrant fall wasn't going to happen today in Norfolk. Really fancied the chances of a Cory's today, blown-up the Channel and with two in Suffolk y'day. Humming and hahing as to whether to do the Wells-Burnham Overy dunes stretch or focus on seawatching again. Not sure yet.

Blakeney Point for 1st light on Monday morning before work's a definate though

Saturday 6th September

I woke up this morning to rain beating down outside. Left my house dressed head to toe in waterproofs all ready for the day! and arrived at Burnham Overy Staithe at 8.30am. I was one of the first people on the quay this morning I think (most sensible people would probably be asleep instead of walking in the rain!). I started walking along the seabank and there was tons of waders in the channel, lots of redshanks, godwits, avocets etc etc. A fantastic scene of 20 grey plover still in their striking summer plumage all standing on a sandbank was probably the highlight of the day! At least 9 ringed plover, lots of turnstones, 3 little egrets, several curlew. 1 wheatear bounded on the path in front of me. 2 sparrowhawks and a kestrel over the marsh, 1 juv. reed bunting, 3 goldfinches, 2 mute swans. When I got to the end of the bank where the bushes are I decided to 'pish' anything that might be lurking in the big sallow bush, out - it worked instantly - a willow warbler popped out and looked at me as if to say 'very funny' and just as quick, popped back into the depths of the bush! Walked up to Gun Hill and stayed there for a while because it came on the pager that a osprey was in the Thornham channel. Good I thought, I couldn't be much higher to view that if it comes this way, but alas it went south!:C I have never known a day that changed as much weatherwise as it did today, sun one minute, pouring with rain the next etc. 5 linnets around Gunhill area and also a avocet flew along the shore along with sandwich terns. Left here and walked all the dunes, all the way to Holkham pines to try and find something! Another wheatear, a chiffchaff, more linnets, 1 tree pipit and 2 green woodpeckers And loads of swallows flying low over the marshes. A couple of birders I met had seen a whinchat, stonechat and a juv. cuckoo. I walked back in sun and showers and half way along the bank 3 elderly gentlemen were walking towards me carrying umbrellas - 'what are you watching?' one of them asked as I was peering into a bush. 'There's nothing here apart from gulls and cormorants is there?' they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I explained that there was alot more to be found than just cormorants and gulls! Just before the carpark I watched several birds flitting about in the ditch and elders below including a blue tit, great tit, linnets, greenfinch, chiffchaff, blackbird and a jay.

At the carpark Penelope had a lovely snooze in her car in the sunshine after consuming far toooooo many cheese scones (no one to share them with:-C)!!!!!!!!!!!! I am beginning to look like a scone:eek!:

Arrived Titchwell 3.15pm. Walked straight into visitor centre to buy a bar of chocolate (oh dear!) and then straight to Island Hide to see if I could see the White Rumped Sandpiper :-O. Saw a water rail (4pm), 1 snipe, several pied wagtails, ringed plovers, curlew sandpipers, ruff, avocets etc etc but NO White Rumped Sandpiper. Eddie M. walked into the hide and declared he was going to stay until he had seen it or until it was dark, so I said I hoped to still see him sitting here when I came back from walking out to ;) sea! The sea was quite a way out, but I battled through the wind and rain - it felt like winter!!!!! and stood by the edge of the sea and saw a dark phase arctic skua attacking a tern going west at 5.15pm. I counted at least 28 grey plovers, 16 sanderlings and 9 carrion crows came in off the sea and went south. Loads of waders feeding in the rock pools including turnstones, redshanks, sanderling, ringed plovers, little egret, cormorants etc etc. Back along the main bank I was scanning over the marshes and spotted a bird of prey at Thornham Point coming straight for me, narrow pointed wings and as it got closer I realised it was a hobby - (5.50pm-6pm) it flew over reserve and dropped the other side of the bank, then appeared high in the sky and went back towards Thornham Point. 3 spoonbills were 'spooning' in the now beautiful sunlight from Parrinder Hide and I got some distant pictures and also a juv. pied wag was directly beneath the hide window. I counted 74 cormorants on the island, 18 little egrets on the dead trees and 3 grey herons were together on the the middle island. I walked along bank towards Island Hide. Heard several bearded tits pinging. In Island Hide I was very pleased to see Eddie M. still there! (sorry Eddie!;)) He pointed out 2 Med Gulls to me right at the back:t:

Lots of birds were up all over the place including a marsh harrier as someone was shooting on the marshes over the other side. Very sadly the wildfowlers association is allowed to shoot there.

Someone told me today that a short eared owl was seen in the dunes by Gore Point at Holme this morning. I had aimed to go there after Titchwell, but I ran out of time. Went to parents for cup of tea and then back home.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

2 Ospreys today perhaps? One in the Thornham Harbour area and one along the beach at Titchwell - at least some on site felt two birds were involved...

Hi Conor

Unfortunatly I was in the office while most of the activity was happening! but from the radio messages I was hearing the bird was very mobile and was seen flying between the reserve and the harbour. It was also seen to fly south at least once before coming back. I would suggest that it was one bird but there have been plenty moving south through the country over the last few weeks so who knows.

No signs of a major fall so far this morning but 5 jay, 6 goldcrest, 5 chiffs and 10 blackcaps in the carpark provided some interest - hopefully the rest will appear when it stops raining. 25 bonxies past in the last hour.

Paul

Titchwell September 7th

Today's highlights

Cory's shearwater - 1 east @ 11:20 (myself and Dave Hawkins) - a description is on its way to the county recorder B :)
Long tailed skua - adult east @ 09:15 (Dave Hawkins)
Great skua - 85 past 08:00 - 12:30
Arctic skua - 30 past 08:00 - 12:30
Manx shearwater - 5 past 08:00 - 12:30
Sabine's gull - 6 juvs lingering offshore ca 11:00 - 12:30 although spending most of the time on the water out of sight
Black tern - 1 juv west offshore
Little gull - adult west offshore
Cormorant - 91 roosting in dead trees
Greenshank - 8 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 3 juvs on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Lapwing - 297 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 3 on fresh marsh
Mandarin - eclipse drake on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Ringed plover - 18 on fresh marsh
Wigeon - 4 on fresh marsh
Garganey - female & juv on reedbed pool

Paul

Many thanks to the kind & thoughtful person/s at Cley who kept on 'phoning RBA with the more significant birds on the seawatch today. This is not just not from me, but also from several others in the shelter at Sheringham who benefited.

The second Cory's, in particular, was the closest shearwater that one of the most experienced observers present had seen in the UK !

All in all, one of the best seawatch days in my ten years of living here.

Many thanks, again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back