• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (103 Viewers)

HarassedDad said:
Approx 25 turnstones were running in with the gulls, fighting for breadcrumbs - and astonishingly 2 Sanderling. Now I've seen turnstones go for bread before, but never sanderling - anyone else seen it?

There used to be an old guy (don't know if he's still around) that would feed bread/scraps to the birds at the east end of Walcott seafront most days. He'd always keep to about the same time of day ~ 3pm-ish ~ and the gulls and waders could be seen gathering on the beach and offshore in anticipation of a free for all feast. In relation to your query, Sanderlings would be attendant along with Turnstones and occasionally the odd Dunlin. Purple Sandpipers used to be regular at this site in small numbers but I haven't seen them here for several years and don't recall seeing them join in the scrap fest.

Incidentally, this is now a regular site for Med Gull ~ I've seen up to 3 1st yrs and a 2nd yr here together ~ and I forget the last time I even drove past without seeing one either in flight or sitting on the sea wall...

James

Frootshoot said:
Yep, get well soon Sue. Hopefully you'll be fully recovered for the weekend.

James
Thanks James. I don't suppose I will be too popular sneezing at the wrong moment and frightening all the birds away!
Sue

Penny Clarke said:
Fantastic day today, beautiful weather, beautiful birds ;)

Mission today, Black eared Kite!

There is a massive Willow that reaches to the skies a couple of gardens from me, biggest one I have every seen - it is seems to be a very popular rest stop for a lot of birds, who land in and then shortly take off and carry on. Anyway while eating my porridge early this morning, I spotted several birds flitting about in the top branches, rushed to get binoculars, and 5 bramblings were taking a break in the sunshine! lovely, never seen them from my garden before, very pleased. Several greenfinches and goldfinches in the garden, robin, blackbird. On leaving King's Lynn, I saw my usual sparrowhawk.

Driving down the road off the A149 to Snettisham RSPB, a jay bounded across the road. Parked up, loads of cars in car park. What a wonderful day, not much on the first pit, apart from a few cross ducks, mallard, an egret and a redshank. Mudflats: Golden plovers, shelduck, redshanks, wigeon, etc etc. 2 scaup, pochard, several golden eye, little grebes etc from shore hide. Walked right up far end and headed for the bodies and scopes!!!!! Standing on the high bank I had wonderful views of 2 short eared owls (which 3 other birders had picked up) over the marsh and then shortly after that I had very distant views (AT LAST!) of the black eared kite (12.20pm), with marsh harriers mobbing it as well!!!!!! Then after this had brilliant views of a barn owl, also pair of reed buntings sitting in the gorse. Stood by the sluice eating sandwiches and cup of tea, it was like a summer's day. Walked back along the high bank, saw my first heron of '07!!! red legged partridge, and a little egret flew over, I then joined with some other birders, further along on the bank (1.20pm) to watch brilliant views of the Black eared kite in the sunshine soaring in the blue sky, with 2 marsh harriers near Snettisham Church!!!!! 1.35pm a couple and myself had stunning views of a Male Hen Harrier - Wow what a day!!! Walked back along the causeway and along the top and back to carpark. Cup of tea and chocolate! Then on to Holme HBO, 3 long tailed tits in the Tamarisk shrub by centre, and then 2 short eared owls displaying over the marsh, directly opposite, with I watched along with Jed, Sophie and Connor. Pink feet coming in for the night on the marshes, sun setting over the broadwater. [Lesser Yellowlegs still at Thornham today and so were the Waxwings at Burnham Thorpe]. Silouttes of starlings on the wires against pink skies down the track. A mistle thrush sitting on the telegraph wire by pay hut. Stopped at Redwell marsh and sat in the hide until 5pm and had a Merlin over Holme church flying west!!!!! Tea and cake at parents, home. ;) :bounce: :girl:

Sounds like the perfect day Penny.I would love to visit Norfolk and reading reports like your one,makes me very envious.

Watcha

hybrid Blue Snow x Ross's Goose this afternoon on the way home amongst the many, many pinks and now two Little Gulls; an adult and a first-winter round Somerton Holmes

beautiful sunset with Barn Owls and Marsh Harriers quartering around and cranes bugling away...

Tim

Ben Nevis said:
Sounds like the perfect day Penny.I would love to visit Norfolk and reading reports like your one,makes me very envious.
Hi Ben Nevis

It was a perfect day, I had always planned to to retire to Norfolk, I just got back here early - lucky me!!!!!

You could always book your holidays in Norfolk this year, for a change?

Best Wishes Penny

Tim Allwood said:
Watcha

hybrid Blue Snow x Ross's Goose this afternoon on the way home amongst the many, many pinks and now two Little Gulls; an adult and a first-winter round Somerton Holmes

beautiful sunset with Barn Owls and Marsh Harriers quartering around and cranes bugling away...

Tim
Hi Tim, hope you and everyone else is well. Sounds like fine birding your neck of the woods. Heavy snow arriving Thursday apparently, good for photography for those that are out and about.

Best Wishes Penny

HarassedDad said:
PS Where's gapton marsh? only it looks like I'll be moving to yarmouth at the end of the year so I need to pick up where the good spots are.)

GApton marshes is on the south side of Breydon, past the rugby club, - sort of behind MFI . Its marked on the OS map 134 if that doesnt make any sense.

Whats about round Cley / Salthouse etc, at the minute ?

Last edited:
Karl J said:
Whats about round Cley / Salthouse etc, at the minute ?

FYI Karl,

Recently in the Cley – Salthouse area...

Shorelark ~ 10 west of Cley coastguards
Velvet Scoter ~ female offshore with c. 2000 Common Scoter
Pale-bellied and Black Brant with Dark-bellied Brents by East Bank/Arnolds
Twite ~ 15 between Cley & Blakeney along footpath
Waxwing ~ one seen in flight in Cley village
Snow Bunting ~ c.30 salthouse beach car park
Little Stint ~ Pats Pool Friday 2nd Feb
Water Pipit ~ up to 3 near sluices along Cley Beach Road

Oh I'm struggling on the night shift alright... |=\|

James

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Ben Nevis

It was a perfect day, I had always planned to to retire to Norfolk, I just got back here early - lucky me!!!!!

You could always book your holidays in Norfolk this year, for a change?

Best Wishes Penny

Shall certainly be giving it some thought Penny.Are the locals friendly...?

Frootshoot said:
FYI Karl,

Recently in the Cley – Salthouse area...

Thanks for that, in the event the necessary entire day just didnt materialise so went for a scoot around some of the less well travelled local lanes instead

West Casiter, Mautby, Thrigby etc. Nothing rare but still interesting ... couple of GS woodpecker, several pairs of Egyptian geese, first Greenfinches i've seen for ages (where'd they all go ?), Teal / Coots / couple Shoveler on Mautby decoy, overflying Snipe, and a marauding male Sparrowhawk just a little too close for comfort as it came zipping across the lane at head height between 2 horse paddocks

seemingly not many thrushes about - just a few Fieldfare

And a small white Stork(?) right near Thrigby Wildlife Park, but it looked a lot like the ones on the inside of the fence :-O

Last edited:
Karl J said:
... first Greenfinches i've seen for ages (where'd they all go ?), ...

South Norfolk it seems. I had to drive round the area between Long Stratton and Venta Icenorum yesterday and as well as numerous fieldfares in the fields there were loads of finches (chaff-, green and gold), song thrushes and blackbirds popping out of the hedges as I drove along, as well as 3 GS Woods and bucket loads of tits (great, blue, long-tailed and the odd coal). Strikes me as a much under-watched area.

HarassedDad said:
South Norfolk it seems. I had to drive round the area between Long Stratton and Venta Icenorum yesterday and as well as numerous fieldfares in the fields there were loads of finches (chaff-, green and gold), song thrushes and blackbirds popping out of the hedges as I drove along, as well as 3 GS Woods and bucket loads of tits (great, blue, long-tailed and the odd coal). Strikes me as a much under-watched area.

Those sheepfields around the site of the ancient roman camp look great for spring wheatears and other migrants,plenty of good birds gone unrecorded down in that tas valley also I reckon.My patch is a little further south,though I pass this spot regularly when traveling to the city.

Matt

interesting. its nice round the old roman site in the summer

isnt there a gravel pit nearby that s been turned into a nature reserve too ? (i seem to recall going there ~18months back to see a red (black?)-necked grebe and came away with Common, Green and couple of Wood sandpipers too, near Harleston somewhere maybe ?)

Karl J said:
interesting. its nice round the old roman site in the summer

isnt there a gravel pit nearby that s been turned into a nature reserve too ? (i seem to recall going there ~18months back to see a red (black?)-necked grebe and came away with Common, Green and couple of Wood sandpipers too, near Harleston somewhere maybe ?)

Do you mean weybread pits?,south east of harleston town

Had a good days birding there myself a couple of years ago (april 05)

Got 1 avocet,1 little gull,1 bar tailed godwit,and a common sandpiper.I'm sure osprey has been recorded from that site.Little egrets showing interest too!

Another underwatched site!

Matt

Could not go out birding today until 3.30pm!!!!! Family stuff to sort today. But wow what a fantastic afternoon I had!!!!!!!!!! :D Drove down to Holme NOA and as soon as I reached the carpark and got out, wow right before sitting on the wires were 2 stunning waxwings!!!!! Apparently they have been there all day!!!!! Went down to HBO, saw a short eared owl hunting over the marsh and then went back to take a 2nd look at Waxwings and I watched the most amazing thing - one waxwing passed a berry to the other, absolutely stunning, one of the most beautiful moments I have seen. Several people had seen them doing this during the day. Father told me this was extremely unusual at this time of the year, as this is courtship behaviour!!!!!!

Penny :girl:

Penny Clarke said:
Could not go out birding today until 3.30pm!!!!! Family stuff to sort today. But wow what a fantastic afternoon I had!!!!!!!!!! :D Drove down to Holme NOA and as soon as I reached the carpark and got out, wow right before sitting on the wires were 2 stunning waxwings!!!!!
Penny :girl:

Nice afternoons birding Penny

I also saw a waxwing today (yestarday)..from my bedroom window!

Late influx?

Matt

Attachments

• waxwing3.jpg
    waxwing3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 114
not a great deal about at the moment

did the roost from a quiet spot - not Stubb Mill - and was treated to a couple of Merlins and an absolutely stunning ringtail at very close range. The cranes came in late - about 25 or so, the first two dropped in no more than 20 yards from the cut where i was standing. They proceeded to start calling - ear splitting volume, gave the dog a fright. Closest i've managed cranes here.

Seems to have been an influx of Common Gulls - a few reasonable flocks feeding in the fields today. Looking forward to getting out on the bike in the coming week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back