• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (116 Viewers)

Night herons are seen occasionaly most years in the Wensum valley between Guist and Sennowe Park. I have always assumed they are some of the Gt Witchingham free winged flock.

2. I guess this is why it is assumed as a Escapee. About 20 years ago a few Night Herons escaped from Great Witchingham Wildlife Park. They managed to breed and for several years were seen in the Lyng/Sparham area. My mate who watches the area most days has not seen a Night Heron in the area for at least five years.

I don't think it was as long ago as 20 years that a free-flying population was being "kept" at Great Witchingham. Birds were still being seen regularly in the area until much more recently than that, though sightings have fallen off recently. My last sighting was in 2007 when two adults flew over Sparham Pools flying from the direction of Great Witchingham.

1. What would the chances be of the Night Heron being a genuine bird?... The stretch of Wensum valley that runs from Lenwade to almost Fakenham is an ideal habitat for such birds.

Of course there's always a possibility that a wild Night Heron in Norfolk would find the Wensum Valley an attractive place to hang out, but for any record round here the balance of probability is strongly weighted towards it being from Great Witchingham.

If the bird I saw was indeed a descendant of the escaped birds from years ago, would this make Night Heron a self sustaining bird?

I would never describe a bird as self sustaining because it is surviving in the wild. Rather if a population of birds was sufficiently well-established that it looks probable that they will survive through a number of generations without further escapes/introductions, then the population might be described as self-sustaining. So far at least, I don't think there's any evidence that Night Heron is close to enjoying that degree of success in Norfolk. You never know though... maybe one day.

Anyway, interesting to know they are still being reported - I didn't know about the recent Guist Bridge observations. Would be good to get a better understanding of their status - how many are still around, whether they are still being looked after in any way at Great Witchingham, etc.

Dear all

Apologies if this is considered some form of spam, but I have a spare train ticket from Norwich to Oakham on Saturday 22nd. I was intending on going to the Birdfair but can no longer make it.

The ticket is an off-peak return for £20.20.

Many thanks

Hugh

Have a good weekend everyone - lets hope some more goodies turn up at the weekend!;)

FROM HOLME NOA WEBSITE: (NOT SEEN BY ME)

http://norfolkornithologistsassociation.pbworks.com/

At Holme NOA seawatching produced 79 Teal west, 12 Eider, 96 Common Scoter, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 13 Fulmars, 3 Manx Shearwaters east, 66 Gannets, 1 Great Skua west, an adult Little Gull, 54 Sandwich Terns, 364 Common Terns, 16 Arctic Terns, 4 Little Terns, and 2 Black Terns sitting on the beach at low tide. Waders included 14 Golden Plovers, 20 Snipe, 12 Black-tailed Godwits, 28 Whimbrel,1 Spotted Redshank west, 2 Greenshank and 8 Green Sandpipers. A hatching of ants attracted several hundred gulls and terns in the evening and an adult Med gull was also of note among them. 10 Sand Martins and 75 Swallows flew through and at least 4 Cetti's Warblers, 4 Lesser Whitethroats, 15 Whitethroats, 3 Garden Warblers, 1 Blackcap, 15 Willow Warblers, and a Spotted Flycatcher were recorded during the day. A flock of 7 Spoonbills flew east towards Titchwell early morning, with three seen early evening flying in the same direction.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Have a good weekend everyone - lets hope some more goodies turn up at the weekend!;)

FROM HOLME NOA WEBSITE: (NOT SEEN BY ME)

http://norfolkornithologistsassociation.pbworks.com/

At Holme NOA seawatching produced 79 Teal west, 12 Eider, 96 Common Scoter, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 13 Fulmars, 3 Manx Shearwaters east, 66 Gannets, 1 Great Skua west, an adult Little Gull, 54 Sandwich Terns, 364 Common Terns, 16 Arctic Terns, 4 Little Terns, and 2 Black Terns sitting on the beach at low tide. Waders included 14 Golden Plovers, 20 Snipe, 12 Black-tailed Godwits, 28 Whimbrel,1 Spotted Redshank west, 2 Greenshank and 8 Green Sandpipers. A hatching of ants attracted several hundred gulls and terns in the evening and an adult Med gull was also of note among them. 10 Sand Martins and 75 Swallows flew through and at least 4 Cetti's Warblers, 4 Lesser Whitethroats, 15 Whitethroats, 3 Garden Warblers, 1 Blackcap, 15 Willow Warblers, and a Spotted Flycatcher were recorded during the day. A flock of 7 Spoonbills flew east towards Titchwell early morning, with three seen early evening flying in the same direction.

Report from today on my site.

Very interesting to hear about the hatching of ants - exactly the same thing happened a couple of days ago where I was staying on the coast in North Wales!

Coming back from Titchwell we passed Smithdon playing field with its usual flock of gulls, so I told Simeon to find the rare as we drove past - he found a Med Gull, so I turned round to add it to the year list... and found a further 3 :t: Maybe worth checking the gull flock here in future.

Titchwell August 8th

We are in the process of moving office at the moment and have been without computers for the last week hence no news or updates from the reserve. Back online now so will continue to post daily news and any Coastal Project work updates when necessary

Today's highlights

Curlew sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 628 on fresh marsh
Lapwing - 475 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 13 west this evening
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Red crested pochard - 5 on grazing marsh pool
Blackcap - 20 in carpark
Lesser whitethroat - 10 in carpark

Paul

Titchwell August 9th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh early morning
Curlew sandpiper - 5 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 32 on fresh marsh
Lapwing - 374 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 2 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - female with 5 young on grazing marsh pool
Eider - 31 offshore

Paul

Does anyone have info on the Long eared Owl at Cantley? Just appeared on RBA. Is it viewable roosting?
Cheers,
jim

PS Did anyone on the forum see the Bairds Sand at Hickling?

Spent the afternoon cycling around my local area today, highlight was a Red Kite drifting low over fields approx 1 mile south of Tacolneston. Just about managed a record shot through my bins, causing much curiosity from of a nearby couple walking their dog!!

First Red Kite I've seen out of Wales so can't be bad!!!

Bring on Autumn mig!!

Matt

Attachments

• 876 002.jpg
    876 002.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
checked Stiffkey Fen today, 1 Pink-footed Goose and 1 White-fronted Goose were maybe oversummering injured birds, also 1 Green Sand, 6 Common Sand,

on Blakeney Freshmarsh recently, 1 juv Water Rail showing well and the odd Green Sand on the pools. Out in the Harbour 1 Curlew Sand, 2 Whimbrel, 2 Greenshank and 360 Golden Plover.

Saturday 8th August

I had not been to Holme for ages so decided to arrive for the high tide. On the sea - not alot at all, 6 common scooter went west, few terns nothing else!

Sophie AW, caught and ringed a lovely juv. great spotted woodpecker and VERY luckily for me a juv. Treecreeper!!!!!!! - I can't remember ever seeing one in the hand before, they are so tiny and sweet and cute looking!

Sat about outside the observatory soaking up the sunshine and watching all the masses of butterflies on the orange buddleia - painted ladies, commas, red admirals, peacocks, gatekeepers etc etc.

Walked back up to NOA carpark where the scene in the NWT carpark was bedlam with beach people, buckets, spades and dogs - yuck! and also much to my amusement - SOMEBODY had had delivered to the carpark via a massive great catering van, a picnic which arrived in numerous wicker baskets and was then transported by the picnic party over to the beach. Made my plain cheese sandwiches look a bit naff!!! How the other half live!!!

Get me out of here!!! Re-located myself to the carparking area half way down the Firs Road by 5-bar gate and walked to NWT Forestry and had 2 Lesser Whitethroats in the pond area in the middle. On the way back to the car again, I found myself having to shout at some STUPID IGNORANT people - in the middle of the lagoons (where the little egrets potter about along with other waders) were 2 men wading through the water (waist height almost), 1 dog and 2 children on the edge - I was just waiting in amusement before I shouted at them to drop down in a hole - didn't they realise that the creeks do not have nice level bottoms!!!! Stupid people. Anyway I shouted across that ......'didn't they realised that they were not supposed to be in this area, mentioned the birds bla bla and that if the warden caught them they would be in MASSIVE trouble!!! One of the men responded quite reasonably and they appeared to walk out back to the beach.

Redwell Marsh NOA.

Caught up with Mike Steward in the hide and his 2 sons who I had not seen for ages. 1.30pm a juv. Common Buzzard came sailing over the hide from Holme church - we shot out of hide and it appeared to go to the sea and then did a u-turn and went back the same way over us again and back inland - it looked very odd initially, but I took pictures and got it checked out and confirmed as C. B. Also here 1 Greenshank, Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpipers, 2 Snipe and usual black headed gulls and some Black Tailed Godwits etc etc.

Popped into parents for awhile and then continued along the coast.

Stiffkey - stopped here by church to scan wires for bee eater!!! Had to make do with 4 greenfinches on wires and a Sparrowhawk flew over carrying a bird in its talons!!!

Walsey Hills NOA - I was just standing outside my car looking at the C. Buzzard pictures I had taken earlier when Pete S., Graham and Glyn (Lesvos hol. crew) pulled into carpark which was a lovely surprise. We all walked round Walsey and found 1 Garden Warbler, chiffchaff, I heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the back Willows and a Green Sandpiper flew over Snipe's marsh. Big pond been dug at the bottom of the hill! (no water in yet though) Pete told me about some lovely emperor caterpillars that were at Salthouse so off I trundled. Pete and co went home at this point.

On the way to Gramborough Hill I watched a very striking Linnet sitting on the wires. Several meadow pipts errupted from the grasses as I made my way along the narrow path following the fence. It took me ages to find just one Emperor Caterpillar (see pic below).

I then went into Dauke's Hide (NWT) and was so tired at this point I could not be bothered to list all the waders, but besides the usual selection there were 6 Curlew Sandpipers OH and the usual Saturday night selection of birders in hide too!!!

Attachments

• Emperor-IMG_3365.jpg
    Emperor-IMG_3365.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
CRACKING DAY'S BIRDING AND SUMMER WEATHER!

Arrived at Cley coastguards and sat on shingle eating jam sandwiches, coffee and being plagued by wasps who desperately wanted my jam sandwich much more than me!!! Nothing of note on sea at all! Looked up towards Blakeney Point and was tempted and then I saw the heat haze and thought maybe not!

Walsey Hills

Stunning views of Adder basking on bank (see pic below).

Along the back path, 1 female blackcap flitting amongst the elders in the sunshine along with 1 Garden Warbler, 2 Common Whitethroats and the familiar call from a Cetti's Warbler. Lots of bird movement in here this morning - also lots of young birds about including blue tits, great tits and chaffinches. A massive rat was very happily feeding under the bird table!

Cley Visitor Centre for lunch followed by a gooseberry ice cream. Lemon cake bought for supplies later in day!

East Bank - 2.25pm bearded tits heard along the way. On Arnold's Marsh - loads of black tailed godwits, 1 spotted redshank, 3 little egrets, 3 Greenshanks, 1 Green Sandpiper flew over calling, 12 cormorants, a single golden plover, 2 Ruff, 3 egyptian geese flew over. Wonderful snooze on shingle by the sea - lovely!

Walked back - up to Visitor Centre for a 2nd ice cream!

2nd Walk up East Bank - 2 juv. Garganey, found by MG right at the back of Arnolds in front of the cormorants. Also Sparrowhawk went east over the bank.

Back at the Visitor centre - from carpark, 1 Hobby at 7pm and also several Spoonbills landed in front of the NWT hides.

Left and here and decided to take the scenic route back to King's Lynn which I was so glad I did! Just after Blakeney on the spur of the moment I decided to pull in the parking area which isn't!!!! it says PRIVATE PARKING ONLY - by the cliff/quarry area below what is known as The House of the Hill to have a coffee and lemon cake stop! Anyway I soon realised the scrub/elders were full of birds - there was movement everywhere - common whitethroats, at least 4 lesser whitethroats, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits - which ever way you looked there was something moving. Wouldn't it be nice to have something good in here I thought, wishfully thinking.... suddenly I could not believe what I was seeing a STUNNING MALE RED BACKED SHRIKE appeared in front of me on an elder - WOW!!! 7.40pm - phoned RBA - rushed to car, got camera, came back - gone!!!!!!!!!! - BOTHER!!!!!! I scanned every leaf of every bush to find that again, still no sign. Cars start pulling in - isn't it amazing how quickly people get there!!!!! Anyway - Eddie M. refound it again (8.10pm) round the side public footpath that overlooks the quarry area and we all made our way round the path and on tip toe (more or less) I managed to a get a very distant fuzzy shot (foliage in way, so blurry), but at least I got a picture!!! It disappeared from view again and that was it. Walked back round the to the rusty red gate in pull in area by NO PARKING sign and waited again until 8.45pm, no sign - it had gone to bed.

NORFOLK YEAR LIST - 227 - see Surfbirds county list.

1 Self found Red Backed Shrike at Blakeney and 1 Adder basking at Walsey Hills NOA

Attachments

• RBS-IMG_3436.jpg
    RBS-IMG_3436.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Adder-IMG_3419.jpg
    Adder-IMG_3419.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
A cracking bird and well done on the find Penny! May your autumn continue in the same vein...

James

Thank you James!

It was soooo annoying as when I first saw it (camera was in car) it was VERY close to me and would have filled my camera screen. When I got the camera and came back it disappeared and when refound - this picture was very distant, cropped and fuzzy because I was peering over a bush and foliage was in the way!

On 'rare birds information' I just found a thread by RBA about a Baird's Sand in Norfolk on 8th. Have Birdguides got confused, or has it been seen both days...???

Hi James

It was found on Sat 8th by Tim Allwood and Andy Kane - but they didn't see again today (9th) so I don't know who saw it on Sunday 9th.

Excellent find Penny, congratulations. And just goes to show what can turn up in these presumably underwatched corners (a hobbyhorse of mine which I'm going to refrain from galloping off on!).

Irene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back