• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (111 Viewers)

Hi all, can anyone please give me direction to go and see the Ortolan Bunting and I might have ago for the lapland if it sticks around.

Thanks

Robert

The Ortolan Bunting has been literally on the East Bank footpath, walk North from the road until you come to a group of people blocking the way, they'll probably be watching it. No one mentioned a Lapland Bunting when I was there, but because no-one was walking all the way along the footpath to stop the Ortolan being flushed, anything could have been at the far end ;)

The Ortolan Bunting has been literally on the East Bank footpath, walk North from the road until you come to a group of people blocking the way, they'll probably be watching it. No one mentioned a Lapland Bunting when I was there, but because no-one was walking all the way along the footpath to stop the Ortolan being flushed, anything could have been at the far end ;)

Thanks :t: the Lapland has just been reported on birdguides :t:

Thanks again,

Robert.

During about 6 hours seawatching off Holme this morning/afternoon, Connor and I had 22 Black Terns, 49 Bonxies, 28 Arctic Skuas, 8 Manx Shearwaters, 4 Red-Throated Divers, 16 Arctic Terns and 228 Gannets. Interesting to see that no-one else reported any Black Terns elsewhere along the Norfolk coast.

Pot Black at East Hills

It was with high hopes that I started trekking out to East Hills at midday. The sky had been clear overnight and, even though the wind was in an apparently unfavourable direction, migrants were being found up and down the east coast.

There had been a very high tide, so the way out was slippery- less so on the way back, as it had mostly dried.

A bunting at the last (now non-existent) bridge, caused a brief flurry. It was probably a female or young Yellowhammer (I could see some yellow on it!), but the brief views I had did not enable me to confirm this. I could not relocate it, despite a search. On the return, another bunting showed here, but this was more like a Reed.

Climbing over the ridge at the west end of the sandflats, I had a Wheatear. On the dried out ‘lake’, there were 3 1st winter White Wagtails. A Chiffchaff called somewhere.

And that was it ! Where had the birds got to ? Certainly not here. The only avian consolation was a Barn Owl.

However, the photo below is of the best species of the jaunt: a male BLACK DARTER. I thought it might have been, when I saw it, but had to return home to look at books and ‘phone a friend, before I could be sure.

This was a most unexpected discovery. The marsh to the south of the Hills is brackish and there is no freshwater bog. I can only assume it has dispersed from a breeding site in the vicinity- but where ? There’s nowhere really close I can think of.

***SAFETY ADVISORY***
Do not go out here without good local knowledge, the timings of tides etc explained and, preferably, having been shown the way by someone who knows- at least once!

Attachments

• P1100192#002.jpg
    P1100192#002.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 94
Too exhausted to post this evening, so will update tomorrow. BUT the lapland bunting is probably a reed bunting, so don't get tooooo excited - took pics of it this evening and will get them checked in morning.

Saturday

Looked at clock - 5.45am - BOTHER! I simply don't remember turning the alarm off!!! - I was supposed to BE at Sheringham by 5.45am!! Anyway eventually arrived at 7.30ish. Parked car up and as I walked through the arch I could see a huge crowd of seawatchers standing on top - oh dear no spaces in shelters then. I stood on top with others (on far left side) and within minutes picked up a Sooty Shearwater going west in brilliant sunshine (7.45), by the time I had realised this and alerted the man to my left I could not pick it up again. I could barely hear the man next to me talking never mind the rest of the crowd because of the wind/sea/shingle, so decided to walk down just to see if there were any spare seats - there was!!!! in first shelter. Somebody picked out a Bonxie at 7.55am and I had another one later on. 3 Kittiwakes throughout the morning, tons of gannets, at least 14 arctic skuas, 2 red throated divers and one long tailed skua at 8.45am. Teal, mallard, knot and oystercatchers also going by along with sandwich terns, common terns and a few fulmars. Can't remembers exactly what time I left - around 1pmish - went for a snooze in the car, had an ice-cream.

East Bank - decided to have another look at the Ortolan Bunting and possibly get a better photograph. BUT it was chaos down there - no hope of getting any pictures, not without upsetting people anyway, but did see the bird again at 2.45pm. Carried on to sea and saw a few gannets and another pale phase arctic skua at 3.10pm.

Had a look around Walsey Hills - found a lesser whitethroat, willow warbler and an interesting looking gingery warbler, which quickly disappeared - seemed to be several birds flitting about in here!

Went back for a seawatch at Coastguards to then leave again to East Bank because of news of a lapland bunting. I photographed the said Lapland Bunting which to me is most definately a Reed Bunting - BUT of course there could have been a different bird!? Watched the Ortolan Bunting again at end of East Bank up until 7.30pm when it went into reeds.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
unreal scenes at the Ortolan yesterday morning. Full account on my blog, but whilst waiting in the 'queue' a bloke and his missus proceeded to push through the crowd to use the footpath! Few nasty exchanges after that. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Cheers,
Jim.

Obstruction of public right of way

The birders' behaviour possibly constituted the above. It would be interesting to have an opinion from a legally qualified BFer.

Birders can, and have been, dispersed by the police, by the use of powers similar to the old 'riotous assembly'. We only need to think of the parking and behaviour at major twitches, for an illustration of why this might, on occasion, be necessary.

MoPs (members of the public) usually react favourably to a polite request, where the situation has been explained to them.

In this case, I'm not sure I wouldn't have pushed through: I don't respond kindly to foul-mouthed rudeness.

However, I recall a disgraceful series of events a couple of winters ago at Salthouse, when a dog-couple regularly and intentionally disturbed the birder-photographers at the Lap Buntings feeding site.

Wryneck at Walsey Hills!!!:t:

(in my break at work right now)

Found by Pete S.'s close friend Glyn - well done Glyn:t:

Not seen again unfortunately.:-C

Whats REALLY annoying is that last night when I was at Walsey I flushed a woodpecker type bird (by the jizz) that I saw for a split second which shot through the bushes in a definate straight line - I looked but couldn't find what it was - I bet that was the wryneck!:-C

Little mirth at Walsey . . .

. . . because there was no sign of the Wryneck, when I arrived.

Previously, I had slogged around WRunton and Gramboro’, and afterwards Friary Hills and Warham Greens/Stiffkey. The only bird I had to write home about was a ringtail Hen Harrier out from the westernmost track.

Interest was to be had at Walsey, however, in the shape of more moth: a Herald. This had, apparently, hitched a lift from Wymondham; a handsome beast and new to me. (Thanks to Stevie G for the ID.)

Attachments

• P1100201#002.jpg
    P1100201#002.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 58
Spent early morning trying to relocate the Ortolan Bunting and the Lapland but had no luck :-C then in the latter part of the morning I heard news that there was a Wryneck at Walsey Hill but no luck again :-C

In the afternoon I decided to let the birds come. I spent at least 1 hour in each hide at Cley and I managed to see 5 Spoonbills, 1 White front, 1 Pintail, 2 Wigeon, 1 Wheater, 3 Little Stints and 2 Curlew Sands

Rob

Whats REALLY annoying is that last night when I was at Walsey I flushed a woodpecker type bird (by the jizz) that I saw for a split second which shot through the bushes in a definate straight line - I looked but couldn't find what it was - I bet that was the wryneck!:-C

personally I've never thought woodpecker when seeing a wryneck in flight, the first time I saw one in flight I thought it looked more like spot fly.

unreal scenes at the Ortolan yesterday morning. Full account on my blog, but whilst waiting in the 'queue' a bloke and his missus proceeded to push through the crowd to use the footpath! Few nasty exchanges after that. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Cheers,
Jim.

Yeah I was there at the same time... the couple came up and made a bit of a drama about the fact that the path was blocked and pushed through, perhaps if they had politely askedto be let through the reaction would have been different. When they got to the front and started to walk down the path they were shouted at rather than asked not to. All in all it was fairly embarassing... but there you go, at least I got to see the bird ;)

Yeah I was there at the same time... the couple came up and made a bit of a drama about the fact that the path was blocked and pushed through, perhaps if they had politely askedto be let through the reaction would have been different. When they got to the front and started to walk down the path they were shouted at rather than asked not to. All in all it was fairly embarassing... but there you go, at least I got to see the bird ;)

Hi all

Whilst this was doubtless frustrating to the assembled crowd, I'm afraid we can't completely block a public footpath around a popular nature reserve. In the event, the bird did flush as this couple walked past it, but after a nerve-wracking few seconds as it headed towards Walsey, it then turned and landed even closer to the crowd than before, so all's well....

At the time, I was the one person (with kids) to the north of the bird and so had plenty of space to stretch out! OK, I admit human failing and having a certain smug feeling, but I did feel for you all squashed in south of the bird, honest! If you wondered what you all looked like from the Ortolan's perspective, here's a photo!

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• Ortolans view of birders.jpg
    Ortolans view of birders.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Wow - talk about having an energetic and lively day and night, Penny - sounds incredible. Hope you'll message a link to your interview and dancing if possible?
Just a sedate day for my wife and I yesterday - watching the three different terns at Farmoor - good to see American Black Tern - a new bird for me.
Best wishes
Richard

Since it is not appropriate to post my MJ pics etc on Norfolk thread - for anyone that is interested, please see my facebook site:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=152650814427#/profile.php?id=1382479134&ref=profile

Several whinchats in Norfolk today I see on pager and also an osprey at Holme! Looking forward to end of the week!

Last edited:
Whilst scoping waders from Cley VC on Saturday 5th, we saw 6 Pink Feet flying slowly west along the shoreline. Has anyone else seen any this autumn?

Whilst scoping waders from Cley VC on Saturday 5th, we saw 6 Pink Feet flying slowly west along the shoreline. Has anyone else seen any this autumn?

I did hear two different lots of birders saying they had seen pink feet coming in on Saturday - someone (think it was Sue Bryan) had seen some of the Daukes' hide at Cley.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Titchwell September 8th

Today's highlights

Ruff - 26 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 3 juvs on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 9 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 129 on fresh marsh
Eider - 24 on fresh marsh

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back