• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (89 Viewers)

Walsey willows

These were where I was on my hands and knees, stawking Hawker. (There's a famous mathematician in there, somewhere. Perhaps the RBFly had temporarily ventured into one of his black holes- where all the mozzies are, too- whilst I was there.)

I had (honest, guv!) scanned the shrubbery, before my obeisance to the Odonatal gods. What was even worse was that Pete left me (but that's another story) on the top path, to go down the south end, while I made my way to Salthouse.

Obviously, I needed to raise my sights from the humble Redstart/Pied Fly for which I'd been hoping.

Titchwell September 12th

Today's highlights

Little stint - 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Whinchat - 1 on saltmarsh
Eider - 14 offshore
Common buzzard - 1 south

Paul

Barred Warbler saves the day

Another daft day, got up early, arrived at Josh's quarry around dawn, unfortunately no Icky. Then decided it would be a good idea to do blakeney point. Knowing full well the golden rule of blakeney point is, head out for the afternoon when the fall happens (i.e yesterday), the majority of birds will have cleared out by the following morning. Left cley coastguards at 7.20am met the warden near the plantation he told me everything had gone, I turned round and walked back, was back at the coastguards by 9.20am !! I reckon that must be a record. We then spent several hours chasing shadows at warham greens, nobody seemed to have actually seen any of the reported gems on offer ? 2 RB flys and another Icterine. We did get close views of a very nice juvenile Hen Harrier though and the first 100+ Pink Feet of the autumn. Heading back to cley we luckily got the message from weybourne and were about the first to arrive. The Warbler was quite a dull juvenile but had the diagnostic barring on the undertail coverts. Thankyou Martin for letting us in your garden, and what a fabulous garden it is too.

Not a stork, but a stalker ?

Not content with stalking Hawkers yesterday (see #7095), today I gave every appearance of doing the same to Penny. Everywhere she went, it seems, I was there just after. Not that it did us any good. A distant, possible bird sp (OK, it was slightly, only slightly, better than that) was the Fairly Ropey at Stiffkey Fen: in the sun and the other side of the Fen. Can we have a hide there, please, Lord B. ? And is there some kind of anti-Greylag spray ?

A misjudged drive down the westernmost track at Warham Greens did not produce the advertised RBFs or Ickys, but half a dozen Buzzards, thermalling in the direction of East Hills.

I had plenty of opportunity to test my new camera (on flowers, Dunnocks and BHGs), as the birds continued to elude me.

Some people, if all the news is to be believed, must have had an excellent day’s birding, possibly one of the best of their lives. The weather was wonderful: blue sky, hot sun, red skin, scintillating light. Perhaps I’ll take up watercolours.

Wonder whether anyone could give me directions to the famed Iron Gibbet at Warham Greens.

It seems that this is a productive area and I'd like to have a look when I'm on the N Norfolk coast next week.

Thanks

Paul

After a blank day around the patch y'day, apart from a family of three Crossbills which briefly stopped to feed in Trimingham clifftop wood in the evening before carrying on east, finally managed to find something half decent today in the shape of a Pied Fly in a clifftop garden at Trimingham this am. The odd Lesser and Common Whitethroat were around too but not a lot else as it turned increasingly sunny and still.

Conditions do look good for next week, but obviously with less observer coverage during the week a few things may slip through unseen, but with a little less 'pagering' and more looking hopefully one of us will turn up something good.......

Regards

Simon

Simeon and I aimed our sights at Burnham Overy dunes today, and put in a lot of hard work. Not a lot about to be honest, though there was a lot of activity up to about 7am. 5 Chiffchaffs, 4 Lesser whitethroat, 3 Blackcap, 3 whitethroat, 2 Stonechat, 2 Wheatear, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, 4 Grey Wags and a steady trickle of yellow wags, 3 Buzzard, Marsh Harrier moving through and 1 Hobby in almost 9 hours! There were approximately 500 Pink-footed Geese on Holkham freshmarsh. A bit of seawatching produced good numbers of Kittiwake and Gannet, plus 2 Manx Shearwater, about 6 Arctic Skua, a close Balearic and a possible Sab's Gull (which i decided I couldn't be 100% sure about, and then was cheesed off to see one reported off Sheringham, a little after our possible went through, when I arrived home!!!). However, best bird of the day was a Honey Buzzard which flew fairly low over us going west as we were leaving. Not a bad haul, though not quite the Booted Warbler we were hoping for :smoke: ;)

Simeon and I aimed our sights at Burnham Overy dunes today, and put in a lot of hard work. Not a lot about to be honest, though there was a lot of activity up to about 7am. 5 Chiffchaffs, 4 Lesser whitethroat, 3 Blackcap, 3 whitethroat, 2 Stonechat, 2 Wheatear, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, 4 Grey Wags and a steady trickle of yellow wags, 3 Buzzard, Marsh Harrier moving through and 1 Hobby in almost 9 hours! There were approximately 500 Pink-footed Geese on Holkham freshmarsh. A bit of seawatching produced good numbers of Kittiwake and Gannet, plus 2 Manx Shearwater, about 6 Arctic Skua, a close Balearic and a possible Sab's Gull (which i decided I couldn't be 100% sure about, and then was cheesed off to see one reported off Sheringham, a little after our possible went through, when I arrived home!!!). However, best bird of the day was a Honey Buzzard which flew fairly low over us going west as we were leaving. Not a bad haul, though not quite the Booted Warbler we were hoping for :smoke: ;)

Hi James

We were thinking of doing Burnham Overy today but went to Sheringham instead. Sounds like you worked it hard and I don't think we'd have stuck it 9 hours - gripped by the Honey Buzzard. The Sabine's at Sheringham was rather distant and I'd have called it a possible in earlier years before I got a better scope and a firmer tripod - it went through with a movement of Kittiwakes, but obligingly turned and held in the air, back on, at one point, which confirmed the ID nicely. Not as good as the Leach's though which was a fair bit closer. My counts for 0630-1030 were:

Wigeon 75, Teal 270, Mallard 1, Common Scoter 53, RB Merganser 1, RT Diver 9, Diver sp. 5, GC Grebe 2, Fulmar 19, Manx 4, Leach's 1, Gannet 652, Cormorant 7, Shag 2, Oystercatcher 5, Grey Plover 1, small wader sp 20, Bonxie 8, Arctic Skua 3, Skua sp. 2, Sabine's 1, Common Gull 1, Kittiwake 82, S Tern 55, C/A tern 8, Auk sp 4. Plus a cracking Wheatear fresh in off the sea was the passerine highlight.

Later, nothing on Muckleburgh Hill (why?!), the in-hand Barred Warbler at Weybourne was a bonus, and Cley produced Hobby, 2 YL Gull, Garganey, 3 Curlew Sand, 2 Scaup and, best of all, storming views of 2 Harvest Mice right next to the door to the Daukes Hide!

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
Lovely weather but no megas!!!!!!!!

For some reason I did not sleep very well, so my dawn start didn't happen!

Arrived Stiffkey Campsite carpark at just before 8.30am. Walked west - the first thing I noticed was large flocks of chaffinches, greenfinches and linnets all going east. Several common and lesser whitethroats about. Walked round the 'whirlygig', lots more greenfinches and goldfinches but not much else. Just past here I could see a man standing about 100 yards ahead of me looking up/into hawthorn hedge and a group of 3 people standing closer on the path - pager bleeped up 'Icterine Warbler 100 yards west of iron gibbet' - talk about lucky I thought - here I am in the spot!!!! Walked over to the people up ahead BUT only the man saw it and it had gone!!!! This really summed up my whole morning:-C. Also a group of birders had apparently seen a Red breasted Flycatcher and 2 Pied Flycatchers in the 'Pit'. Basically I ended up spending all morning here at Wareham Greens hoping very much to see the Icterine and Red b fly but to no avail. Scanned the Pit on two different occasions and also climbed down in there and stood and waited - did flush a barn owl the first time! I also walked up way past the pit to the small pond area on right and sat there for 3/4 hour, hoping something would appear - it was alive with birds: again common and lesser whitethroats, goldfinches, reed buntings, linnets, 1 female blackcap, blue tits but nothing more exciting than that. 2 sparrowhawks and a kestrel went over. Lots of little egrets on the marshes. Connor and Billy then joined me and all 3 of us went down into the 'Pit' but quickly came out again when we heard John Furze's voice talking about raptors over East Hills!!!!! We observed several common buzzards over East Hills - I could only see 4. Boiling hot now and I had left my sunhat, food and water in car as I had had no intentions of staying here this long! When I got back as far as the whirlygig several birders had been watching a pied fly, but it wasn't there now! A hobby went over. Apparently a poss. rbfly had also been seen? Back at the car I collapsed into my deckchair for lunch.

2 birders (both men) had just walked back from the campsite wood and when asking them if they had seen anything they replied quite casually a 'great white egret' - hmmmmm..... I thought! But when they then went on to say they had had several seabirds at Sheringham including a long tailed skua, maybe, just maybe they HAD seen a GWE? Anyway as they left John Furze (first stalk of the day;);)) pulled into the carpark - I relayed the conversation and off we went east to find the said GWE - heard a kingfisher on route. Lots of little egrets but NO Great White Egrets! I was getting bored of Stiffkey now and said goodbye to John and turned back to carpark. Nearly back the pager bleeped up with Red necked Phalarope at Stiffkey Fen! Parked in the usual spot and hurried along the path - whilst crossing one of the stiles (I am still laughing now:-O) I fell - could not believe it! - I fell from the top of the stile to bash my head on the legs of scope, camera the lot went! - I got up VERY quickly and just hoped nobody had seen me;):-O Phew they hadn't! Nettle stings, cut and bump on head - great - just to add to the naff day! Shouldn't grumble because I did see the Red Necked Phalarope at 2.30pm! along with a peregrine that put everything up! On the way back I heard a Cettis Warbler. I VERY carefully climbed back over both stiles!!!!

Next stop - quarry by the house on the hill - Dave Holman and others standing here already. Shortly after John F. arrived! Nothing in here of note. Left here and went to Cley Visitor centre and sat and had a gooseberry icecream while planning what to do next!

As I pulled into Walsey Hills carpark so did John F!;) We both made our way along the bottom path to join Pete Snook at the end by the willows (who found the RBF last night:t:) We sat in the field to watch the willows and I imagined the RBF sitting there in front of me! Chiffchaffs in here and a wren, not alot else apart from 2 marsh harriers distantly over Cley NWT. Went back to carpark, had a cup of tea and chinwag with Pete.

Next stop - Muckleborough Hill - walked round loads of paths up hill and down dale and this was a complete waste of time!

Next stop - Walsey Hills again! Nothing apart from a coal tit and lots of rats by the bird table.

Trundled along the coast road and stopped at the quarry again by The house on the hill - nothing. Scenic drive home! Work all day tomorrow!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Hi James

We were thinking of doing Burnham Overy today but went to Sheringham instead. Sounds like you worked it hard and I don't think we'd have stuck it 9 hours - gripped by the Honey Buzzard. The Sabine's at Sheringham was rather distant and I'd have called it a possible in earlier years before I got a better scope and a firmer tripod - it went through with a movement of Kittiwakes, but obligingly turned and held in the air, back on, at one point, which confirmed the ID nicely. Not as good as the Leach's though which was a fair bit closer. My counts for 0630-1030 were:

Wigeon 75, Teal 270, Mallard 1, Common Scoter 53, RB Merganser 1, RT Diver 9, Diver sp. 5, GC Grebe 2, Fulmar 19, Manx 4, Leach's 1, Gannet 652, Cormorant 7, Shag 2, Oystercatcher 5, Grey Plover 1, small wader sp 20, Bonxie 8, Arctic Skua 3, Skua sp. 2, Sabine's 1, Common Gull 1, Kittiwake 82, S Tern 55, C/A tern 8, Auk sp 4. Plus a cracking Wheatear fresh in off the sea was the passerine highlight.

Later, nothing on Muckleburgh Hill (why?!), the in-hand Barred Warbler at Weybourne was a bonus, and Cley produced Hobby, 2 YL Gull, Garganey, 3 Curlew Sand, 2 Scaup and, best of all, storming views of 2 Harvest Mice right next to the door to the Daukes Hide!

Cheers

Andy
So frustrating because my original plan was going to be Sheringham first thing - I sooooooo wish I had now for the Leach's and Sabine's!!!!!

It's NOT a gibbet !

No-one was ever hanged on it. However, I'm told some birders may have got close yesterday, with some of their more extravagant claims.

The WHIRLIGIG at Warham Greens was, in fact, a rotary launcher, for small, pilotless, radio-controlled, target aircraft, used to train anti-aircraft gunners.

They (the aircraft, not the gunners- pay attention, now!) were mounted on wheeled trollies and launched from the circular, surfaced area. The launcher was spun around until sufficient airspeed was attained and the aircraft released.

The aircraft parachuted back to ground (or sea) after each flight.

It seems to have been a post-war (that is, WW2) construction (circa 1952/53), possibly by the USAF.

This is taken from: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-52436.html

To continue the birding interest (!), I remember a few years ago a Wryneck so ridiculously tame, people were photographing it on their hands and knees inches away from its head. I seem to recall it may not have been all that well.

Last edited:
Whirligig

Put these (I think) into Google Earth (perhaps someone could let me know how to provide a direct link):

lat=52.9564084871, lon=0.91082475084

It is in the middle of the circular shape, NW of Greenways, at the west end of Stiffkey village, and north of the fields and the A149. South of the saltmarsh and on the coastal path.

Blakeney Point

Suspecting everything juicy from the previous day had probably cleared out, I nevertheless decided on a Point day, hoping that I'd be down there when the next 'shift' arrived.

On my way out, I passed Stu coming back (thinking at the time the hooligan must have gone out there at the crack of ungodly). After potterings at the Marhams, Halfway House and the Hood, the Meadow Pipit count had reached double figures and the excitement was reaching fever pitch! Shaking myself awake, I trundled down to the end and stuck it out to the bitter end, giving the Lupins, Far Point, the Plantation and Long Hills a good 'go'. Total exciting bird count? 37 Meadow Pipits, 3 Dunnocks, 17 Skylark and a Kestrel, plus 4 Buzzards distantly which I totally failed to turn into anything more exciting, and a Sparrowhawk.

Still, it was a nice walk away from the crowds...

Penny an hour after meeting you me and Jim had a warbler fly past us that looked very very good for Icterine in the whirligig but we couldn't find it to be 100% sure :-C and we also had a female Pied Fly and a huge female Hen Harrier.

Rob

Last edited:
Titchwell September 13th

Today's highlights

Manx shearwater - 50+ offshore
Balearic shearwater - 4 west @ 12:30
Sabines gull - 3 west during the day
Sooty shearwater - 1 west @ 12:15
Curlew sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 on saltmarsh

Paul

Just got back in from a c10 hour seawatch off Cromer with a constant stream of birds passing throughout the day to keep the excitement levels up.

Main highlights were a Leach's Petrel past at c9.20, a couple of Sooty Shearwaters, a big Gannet and Kittiwake passage, and, especially after midday, large numbers of Manxies streaming through with one flock containing a minimum of c70 birds alone.

There was also a steady trickle of Bonxies and Arctic Skuas, plus 2 Little Gulls. Other birds passing included Red throated Divers, Pintail, Common Scoter, Wigeon, Teal, Tufted Ducks, Shelduck, Sanderlings and a few distant auks etc.

Hopefully if the wind keeps up overnight it should be pretty good tomorrow too.

Simon

Last edited:
Seawatch at Home NOA (7 hrs)

250+ Manx shears (incl groups of 31, 19, 17)
2 Sooties
85 Bonxies
75 Arctics
5 Poms (4 ads)
1 juv Long-tailed (in same field of view as Leach's... in terms of studying...no contest... the Long-tailed won hands down B :))
2 Leach's
1 juv Sabs
100+ Kitts (90% 1st winters)
Not a single auk! and no definite Balearics

Getting tea ready now...B :):eat: B :)

Dave

Last edited:
Seawatch at Sheringham 6.30-11.30

Fabulous passage from 9am with birds streaming past constantly, so nice to see so many Kittiwakes

2 Leach's Petrels 9am & 9.40am
2 Sabine's Gulls (both of which I missed !!)
2 Balearic Shearwaters
10+ Sooty Shearwaters
30+ Manx Shearwaters
10+ Puffin
20+ Bonxies
15+ Arctic Skua
Little Gull
1,200+ Kittiwakes
1,000+ Gannets

After that I did a bit of "pagering" and picked up the red necked phalarope right in front of north hide. lovely
My legs seriously hurt today, I don't recommend the point and back in 2 hours

Same again tomorrow !

typical the birding is now really good when I start college 2moz. Least I've picked to study countryside management & conservation which means at least 1 day a week working on a nature reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back