• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (98 Viewers)

Hi guys/gals

Coming up 2/3 for 4 days or so.
Can't find the thread on Lynford and where to go once there.....could someone please remind me which car park and which direction to head off in once parked........looking for Hawfinch obviously.

Also does anyone have directions for Mayday Farm please........coming from the South.

Cheers .

Mark

Got down to Barton for a couple of hours early afternoon. Bit dull, grey and drizzly but the Great Northern Diver eventually showed after about 45 mins. No Otters though.

Also 13 Goldeneye, few Teal, Tufties and Pochard, single Kingfisher and Marsh Harrier about the best of the rest.

A family party of 7 Whooper Swans in the field opposite my house for a short while yesterday afternoon was a welcome addition to the 'garden' list. My list is 'in and from'...

James

davebenj said:
You missed out on another tick for the day!
I was on the beach fishing/seawatching around the afternoon high tide - I was the last fisherman east of the cafe.

So it was you that caught the seal to attract the Glaucous Gull ! What do you do catch to attract a Wandering Albatross?

Sue (sorry I missed you!)

1200 Pinks and a couple of cranes on the way to and from work today. Light enough to get 40 mins birding in pre work now. Pretty foul weather but can't resist getting out now!

nice addition to the 'in and from' list James. Hope to get swans going over Sea Palling before too long. Had some a few days before we moved in so they don't count.

Tim

Spring already?

Had a chiffchaff in the garden Saturday , also saw red admiral butterfly -Sunday a walk through Strumpshaw to Buckenham produced willow tit,american wegion rather distant, several ruff and 2 water pipits.

RonMac said:
Had a chiffchaff in the garden Saturday , also saw red admiral butterfly -Sunday a walk through Strumpshaw to Buckenham produced willow tit,american wegion rather distant, several ruff and 2 water pipits.

It certainly felt like spring at Titchwell today - loads of reed buntings singing, male marsh harrier starting to 'sky dance' and a grunting bittern in the reedbed this evening.

Had a walk around Holkham Park yesterday - no lesser spots but plenty of drumming great spots and singing nuthatch + a near full summer med gull on the lake. 6 med gulls in the Heacham gull roost in the evening.

Paul

More swans!

In the front garden after dark, about 8 o'clock, I could hear some Bewicks' calling from north-west of here. It was a lovely starry night so presumably they were moving off back towards the continent.

James

yeah ... nice to see spring on its way

saw 2 Hares on the way home last night and just about 6 o'clock as it was nearing fully dark saw a bat . Dunno what sort though

Still more swans!

Was in the car in Wroxham this morning, no bins (to my shame), when c.26 swans flew roughly eastward quite high up at 9:15am. I felt they were most likely Bewicks' but can't be 100% certain. Turned into a wet, miserable day after that...

James

Bird Line:

Ring-tail Hen Harrier at Holme.

Glaucous Gull at Salthouse and Little Stint on pools, east of beach road.

2 Black Brants at Titchwell.

Goshawk near north west Norwich early morning.

Red Kite at Little Walsingham.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker near Monument at Holkham.

OF NOTE: A fellow BF member texted me to say SAND MARTIN, RUTLAND WATER!!!!! (not sure if this was today or not!!!!)

Also of note my mother had a Red Admiral in her garden at Holme today!

Last edited:
Quick Q.

What is a 'Ring tail Harrier'? Just a fem, I assume. I've seen it written lots before, but never actually found out what it is!

Chars

J Moss said:
Quick Q.

What is a 'Ring tail Harrier'? Just a fem, I assume. I've seen it written lots before, but never actually found out what it is!

Chars
Hi there

From the RSPB Website:

Hen harrier
Circus cyaneus

Of the UK's birds of prey, this is the most intensively persecuted. Once predating free-range fowl, earning its present name, its effect on the number of grouse available to shoot is the cause of modern conflict and threatens its survival in some parts of the UK. While males are a pale grey colour, females and immatures are brown with a white rump and a long, barred tail which give them the name 'ringtail'. They fly with wings held in a shallow 'V', gliding low in search of food.

Cheers Penny

Penny Clarke said:
Bird Line:

OF NOTE: A fellow BF member texted me to say SAND MARTIN, RUTLAND WATER!!!!! (not sure if this was today or not!!!!)

Also of note my mother had a Red Admiral in her garden at Holme today!

Interestingly, someone was telling me yesterday that they had suddenly gained a male blackcap singing in their garden. Early migration?

Certainly the blackthorn's in flower, frogs are spawning - so it looks like March at the moment.

PS Penny - could you PM either a grid ref or postcode for the red admiral? thanks
Andy
(county butterfly recorder)

Bit of a shocker, this one!!!

Was walking on the local patch with my greyhound Ben when he started wanting to sniff the reed edges - he was doing this the other day and i couldn't fathom out why. He's always walks on a short lead and doesn't tug. Howeer, he was desparate to sniff out the reeds... which were only a narrow strip about 5ft wide, if that. He was sniffing away when all of a sudden he stuck his head in and there was a little commotion and he backed out with a Bittern (!) in his mouth, flapping away. He was still on the lead of course and dropped it straightaway, about two feet in front of us. It sat on the reed edge and did a threat posture at us, for about a minute, before crashing back into the reeds. It appeared none the worse for it's ordeal and i'm not sure which of the three of us got the biggest shock. Probably me. The dog looked totally nonplussed .

Not everyday you see a Bittern like that. And no, the dog won't be sniffing out the reeds again!

Had a look at the Glaucous at Cley and then a nice bike ride around Sea Palling, Eccles and Lessingham. Plenty of farmland birds incl 130+ Greenfinch.

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Bit of a shocker, this one!!!

Was walking on the local patch with my greyhound Ben when he started wanting to sniff the reed edges - he was doing this the other day and i couldn't fathom out why. He's always walks on a short lead and doesn't tug. Howeer, he was desparate to sniff out the reeds... which were only a narrow strip about 5ft wide, if that. He was sniffing away when all of a sudden he stuck his head in and there was a little commotion and he backed out with a Bittern (!) in his mouth, flapping away. He was still on the lead of course and dropped it straightaway, about two feet in front of us. It sat on the reed edge and did a threat posture at us, for about a minute, before crashing back into the reeds. It appeared none the worse for it's ordeal and i'm not sure which of the three of us got the biggest shock. Probably me. The dog looked totally nonplussed .

Not everyday you see a Bittern like that. And no, the dog won't be sniffing out the reeds again!

Had a look at the Glaucous at Cley and then a nice bike ride around Sea Palling, Eccles and Lessingham. Plenty of farmland birds incl 130+ Greenfinch.

Tim
that is a once in a lifetime experience!!! tim..bloody hell!!!!still shocked myself by that!(pity you had no camera with you)..
good job ya dogs well trained!..
my best veiws where at blacktoff sands.. 2 birds flew infront of the north hide with a barn owl and marsh harrier all in the same view! magic moment!

Tim Allwood said:
...and he backed out with a Bittern (!) in his mouth...

That Ben sounds like he's worth his weight in gold to an east coast patch worker. Let's hope his teeth have all fallen out by the time he finds a Grays Gropper! What a corking tale (no pun intended). A really good bird to get on your patch list too, it makes you wonder how many more are lurking in those reedy ditches...

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back