• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (82 Viewers)

I just sent an e-mail to the guys at the reserve asking if they have a higher res version which might help to decipher the lettering.

Either that or time to dust off the BIG lens!

Unles the photo has been reversed this bird is ringed on its right tibia, whereas the Italian birds (according to the link in post #10839) are apparently all ringed on the left...

James

there has been one with a blue ring, an escape from Marwell Zoo in Hampshire, recently in Beds (per recorder Steve Blain). Likely to be the same bird I reckon.
Was seen a couple of days ago in Cambs at Needingworth, which is roughly in the right direction.

I suppose an adult in mid-winter was never a good candidate...

Natural surroundings: change of management

Just noticed this on Penny's blog. Those of us who have long memories, recall this as the location of the "Sibe thrush" scam!!

A message to the former manager of the site - I would like my £3 back!

Good luck to the new management.

Last edited:
there has been one with a blue ring, an escape from Marwell Zoo in Hampshire, recently in Beds (per recorder Steve Blain). Likely to be the same bird I reckon.
Was seen a couple of days ago in Cambs at Needingworth, which is roughly in the right direction.

That'll be it! Still one day.....
GH

A quick google image search of Flamingos at Marwell Zoo, shows none with rings, would be good to confirm ring combination (if that is writing). Wouldn't want to miss out on probably the only flamingo to ever get accepted because it was wearing a 'wild' ring.

A quick google image search of Flamingos at Marwell Zoo, shows none with rings, would be good to confirm ring combination (if that is writing). Wouldn't want to miss out on probably the only flamingo to ever get accepted because it was wearing a 'wild' ring.

Just received this from the wardens at Welney.

'Blue darvic right leg M30 – the bird was ringed at Martin Mere and been mobile around the Hampshire area'

I guess it wasn't from that zoo after all but we still ain't 'avin it :-C

Had a bit of a mooch along the coast today.

Highlights were:-

Cley - American wigeon, 5 pale bellied brent geese (2 adults from east bank, 2adults, 1 juv from beach carpark), 25 red throated diver offshore and 50 pintail on north scrape.

Stiffkey roadside flood - looking fantastic with a load of water and ducks. 83 pintail, 480 teal, 492 wigeon and 15 black tailed godwit.

Warham greens roost -22 pale bellied brent goose , 1 adult black brant. 8 ringtail hen harrier and 2 marsh harrier.

Paul

Attachments

• pb-brents.gif
    pb-brents.gif
    154.8 KB · Views: 156
Hi everyone,

Coming to Norfolk for a long weekends birding on Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday. One bird I have not been able to find out any info on is Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Does anyone know some really good hotspots at the moment? Some really recent gen would be superb.

ANY INFO GIVEN TO ME I SHALL KEEP QUIET AND NOT TELL ANYONE ELSE IF YOU SO WISH

Please PM is you prefer

Thanks a lot,
As I wrote on my blog recently, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is listed at Sculthorpe Moor Community Nature Reserve.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Tableful of cauds

The north coast was far too windy- as it has been for the last few days. A quick visit to the Cley NWT Visitor Centre was enlivened, as I exited, by nearly being swiped by an NWT vehicle entering through the ‘No Entry’ signs !

Prompted by Paul E’s blog yesterday, I drove west to Hempton NOA, where a great spot was a male Great Spot that made a great phot. Both Marsh & Willow Tits were calling, with two Tit Willows being very friendly towards each other- but too far away for a meaningful snap. A small flock of Siskins was pleasant.

The long journey to Sculthorpe H&OT was, surprisingly, my first visit. So impressed was I by this extensive and well-managed reserve that, on my way out, I joined the Trust. At that point I learned that a Bittern had been present since after the cold spell and was, in fact, seen this afternoon- but not by me.

One of the hides (Whitley) had a good view on to a feeder, where the birds below were snapped. 2 male and 3 female Bullfinches and a dozen Brambling were coming to the seed. A Water Rail was showing, too. A tableful of Long-tailed Tits was a delight.

I can foresee many visits here, especially when butterflies, dragonflies and other insects have emerged.

Attachments

• 030psesm.jpg
    030psesm.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 169psesm.jpg
    169psesm.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 140psesm.jpg
    140psesm.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 101psesm.jpg
    101psesm.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Hi John

You've taken the same pictures as me at Sculthorpe!!! I just haven't put them on my blog yet! I also joined as a member on my visit - wonderful reserve!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hello, I am afraid to say that I was unable to release this news any earlier than today as my internet has been down. On Thursday 3rd Feb, I was travelling back into Norwich from Aylsham at approx quarter past 4. The bus had stopped opposite the entrance to the Weavers Way/Tesco in Aylsham when I noticed a sparrow hawk flush several thrushes which were feeding in the entrance to the weaver’s way. The thrushes were flushed out & I saw 4 blackbirds & a bird (I thought to be a Fieldfare) fly out. The other thrush was notably larger than the Blackbirds & at first I only saw a grey flash. The hawk chased after this bird & as it drew along side of the bus I noted mid-pale upperparts, pale grey under parts, a relatively long tail & crucially the bird had a black throat which extended down from roughly below the bill (the malar region) before being clearly demarcated across the upper chest. Despite that I only saw this for approximately 20 seconds, I am convinced that I had the incredible fortune of seeing a Black Throated Thrush. The bird was well lit & although I wasn’t able to see if it showed the whitish undertail coverts or whether the bird had a whitish belly or streaked flanks I believe the combination of mid grey upperparts & paler grey unders, with the notable black bib, means that it can only be this particular species.
I immediately got off the bus at the next stop in order to look for the bird but despite searching until all light had gone I was unable to relocate it. I notified a couple of birders in Aylsham & Norwich on Saturday night & only heard negative news from one of those people.
I apologise for the belated release of this news, but I simply couldn’t believe it & was also unable to get the news out quick enough.
I advise any birders in the area to check thrush flocks thoroughly as I am hopeful this bird may be relocated.

National pharmacy opens new branch at Salthouse ?

Or was he blown clean out of his boots ?

The windy theme continued today, as first I walked around the leeward side of Holkham Pines, as far as the boardwalk, and then back to Lady Anne’s with the wind behind me- without seeing a passerine, let alone a rare Turd !

The pair of Goldeneye remains on/in Salts Hole.

Then, Wells Woods told a similar story. I’m sure if I’d looked a little harder, I’d’ve seen the tits, crests, etc. Some of the leafless trees here were thrashing about so much, they reminded me of the Whomping Willow in Harry Potter.

Attachments

• 003psesm.jpg
    003psesm.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 94
I walked to Gorleston seafront this lunchtime and was treated to the sight of 11 Sanderlings scurrying about on the beach. A terrific way to spend my lunch break. Okay, I know there are only 9 in the photo!

Ron

Attachments

• 9-Sanderlings.jpg
    9-Sanderlings.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back