• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (87 Viewers)

Anyone here been to see the two Spoonbills, that turned up on rush hill scrape (hickling) half an hour after me and two friends left!!

Don't know if they'll be in the area for long??

matt

not me Matt

took a ride up to Horsey earlier on, got my first Swift & Cuckoo of the year. Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the undergrowth past the Nelson Head

2 Cranes 200m south of Horsey mill, opp. side of the road

Evening all! Slow going at Holme today with these northerlies, but did have 2 Ring Ouzles ( 1 west, 1 over the obs), 1 Garden Warbler (in the forestry), a couple of Yellow Wags over and a few bits on the sea, namely 7 Sandwich Terns, 9 Common Terns, 3 Gannets and two Fulmars.

Know Penny had White Wagtail amongst others that I didnt see.

For all sightings see www.noa.org.uk

walked from Nelson's Head to north of Sea Palling this morning then around the village in late afternoon

16+ Ring Ouzels, a dozen or so Wheatears, a few Lesser throats, four Groppers and a steady stream of hirundines heading north all morning. Lots of flowers out now, several Small Coppers, Small Whites etc and some Odonata too.

Hickling Broad starting to look good now

Arrived at Hunstanton Green at 6.30am to watch 24 Turnstones feeding away right by the edge of the road in a dog and people free zone (most people snoozing away at this time!).

Checked horse paddock half way down beach road at Holme, couple of pied wagtails and 1 song thrush, few chaffinches, linnets and wood pigeons. 7am - parked by 5-bar gate half way down Firs Road. As I parked the car 3 people had a bush surrounded trying to photograph I presume the grasshopper warbler that was reeling away - poor bird couldn't get any peace even at that time of the morning!

Walked along coastal path towards forestry and saw 1 male reed bunting, 3 little egrets, 2 robins, 8 shelduck, 10 avocets, 2 ringed plover at Gore Point, 9 sanderling on the shore, lesser whitethroat in forestry, not a lot else there at this time. Lots of swallows and martins, stopped counting now. Walked from Gore Point along the dune ridge and saw 3 brents and another 37 flew over east, 10+ linnets. Connor then rang me to tell about the Egyptian Vulture!!!!! (I don't have a pager). Anyway whilst looking skyward for massive bird, I carried on to main beach gap at Holme golf course and scanned the golfcourse for any wagtails, only saw 3 pied wags and 3 mistle thrushes, but had 2 nice grey partridges amongst golfers and dog walkers. Walked back to via public loos and in trees by village carpark heard two blackcaps singing and 1 chiffchaff. Walked through carpark and followed narrow path through bushes to coastal path along the back of bungalows - 2 willow warblers singing and 2 turtle doves by watchtower flying west!!!!! Also 1 garden warbler popped out of a hawthorn. 1 sedge warbler singing and another 2 in patch of reeds near pay hut, plus another willow warbler singing. Sat by car having a cup of tea and jam sarnie.

Went down to HBO at 11am. Female marsh harrier over the marsh and a very nice lady bought jam doughnuts along:t: Catnapped here in the sunshine for ages, whilst looking in pond, dipped on a ring ouzel that flew over and a yellow wagtail!!!!!!! (both spotted by eagle eyed Connor!!!) Phoned my mother to see what she had seen and she had had 32 yellow wagtails at golfcourse (her biggest ever count in one flock)!!!!!!! Anyway after eating cold caribbean pizza from last night (diet going really well - again!!!) I hauled myself from the sunny seat and made my way lazily back to carpark. Parked half way down Firs Road by 5-bar gate again and went for a quick scan of forestry, which was definately worth doing as I had 2 small coppers there and a lovely wheatear in the sunshine and at least 30 linnets.

Went to Redwell Marsh (heard a cuckoo along the road) and saw 2 pairs of Gadwall, 2 sandmartins, swallows skimming over the water (checked for red rumps!), 1 white wagtail! and 2 pied wagtails appeared in front of hide, pair of shelduck, 6 linnets, 2 black headed gulls, 1 moorhen, 1 coot, jackdaws, pair of shoveler.

Holme Marsh Reserve - 3.30pm - Chiffchaff singing, sedge warbler, male kestrel, 2 little egrets (flying over marsh), 1 coot, female marsh harrier, 1 orange tip butterfly (first this year) 3 speckled woods (prob. more), 1 heron, 1 grasshopper warbler reeling away (such a wonderful tropical sound) and 2 long tailed tits.

Went to parents and looked at lots of lovely pictures my sister had just collected of her trip to Tunisia last week. She is not a birder and had a very interesting picture (very small pic!) of a finch sitting on a rock (taken early morning and it quote 'seemed quite tame'), goodness know what it is, will do a thread I think to see what somone comes up with - basically rusty brown back, dark tail, pale belly, darker breast, head and nape turquoise blue!! Black eye stripe, supercilium - whitish, and what looks like a yellowish bill - any ideas? (sorry to go off thread - only for a moment, honest!)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Sea Palling to Nelson's Head...

Rouzels still quite abundant.
4 Cranes
10 Wheatears
Swallows still streaming north, no martins today
etc

plus two Hairy Dragonflies, Holly Blues, an Orange Tip in the garden. Spent a pleasant late afternoon (after an unpleasant spell assembling a garden table) sitting no more than three feet under our Collared Dove, watching the comings and going and waiting for a Bee-eater to fly over...

plus there was a 'free party' at Horsey Gap. Big sound system, lots of nice, middle class people playing at dropping out. Dogs all over the place and an absolute tip, full of lager bottles, cans and rubbish. Told em what i thought. Police arrived a bit later unsuprisingly, hopefully ensuring the place was left in reasonable order. Would've been ok if it wasn't such a mess. Don't wanna spoil peoples fun but...you know..!

Had Ibe Chiffchaff at Colney today.

Also today at Dersingham Railway Line: 1 male Ring Ouzel till 4ish when flushed by dog... also 1 Turtle Dove west, male Marsh Harrier south, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, 4 Whitethroats, 6 Blackcaps, 9 Chiffchaffs, 3 Willow Warblers and a Swift. Later at Snet much of the same plus 2 Whimbrels east, 2 Wheatears and Cuckoo

Cor what a day!
Started at Pentney with a Nightingale singing, 3 Common Terns, Common Sandpiper, LRP and a superb summer plumaged Bar-tailed Godwit, with a Garden Warbler at Hilborough. We then made our way to Lynford Arboretum and the pager goes off - Egyptian Vultue at Warham. Only got as far as Fakenham to find birders scanning the skies actually watching it.......did I see it? NO ! It disappeared behind the trees as I got out the car!! Drove round the other side of the trees and soon saw the 2 Buzzards it was with, but no Vullture! Do they evaporate or something?
Drove to back south and calmed myself down by watching all the Canada Goose goslings at Lynford!
Sue

plus there was a 'free party' at Horsey Gap. Big sound system, lots of nice, middle class people playing at dropping out. Dogs all over the place and an absolute tip, full of lager bottles, cans and rubbish. Told em what i thought. Police arrived a bit later unsuprisingly, hopefully ensuring the place was left in reasonable order. Would've been ok if it wasn't such a mess. Don't wanna spoil peoples fun but...you know..!

Absolutely disgusting behaviour - send them back to the city. This must have really disturbed the seals as well!!!!!!!:-C

Driving along the Acle straight yesterday afternoon I had 3 Whimbrel fly over and a brief glimpse of a hobby. Got back home to find an email waiting for me reporting the first Swallowtail of the year! Seen on the 25th April at Wheatfen. (Previous all-time record was 7th May). This year is certainly turning into a record breaker.

Weekend resume

Did Snettisham CP to Heacham Saturday 6.30 - 0930 and scored with a nice selection of migrants 4 Ring Ouzel, 8 Wheatear, 4 Whinchat, 1 Tree Pipit west, 5 Yellow Wag west, 3 Groppers, 2 Garden Warblr, also sev Reed Warbler in & singing. Lots of Lesser W'throat & W'throat.

Scored well with great views of Montys later in the morning and had a few more birds at Burnham Norton in the afternoon 2 Greensank, 1 Cn Sand, 6 Yellow Wags on the deck, 1 Whinchat & 1 Whimbrel.

Late afternoon Ryburgh watchpoint area 5+ Buzzards, 1 Hobby, sev Spar, 1 Turtle Dove & 1 Barn Owl flying around at 5PM.

Titchwell yesterday am fairly quiet, wader numbers esp. were low best birds 1 Whimbrel, 3 Spot Reds, 1 LRP, 1 Ruff.

My Oman photographs are now on-line on my website and still not managed to process the Ouzels from last weekend!!

Ta Chris

Just been looking at your 'holiday snaps' Chris; fantastic photos, looks like you had a superb time. Isn't the middle eastern light terrific for photography? Some of the species brought back distant memories of my visits to Israel and Turkey...

Quite an interesting day from the garden yesterday. 2 Greenshank over eastward early on were a new garden tick, 2 Whimbrel in the same direction later weren't. Also saw a high circling ♂ Marsh Harrier which was carrying what appeared to be a largish Rabbit and about 12 Swifts went through at the same time. Best of all for me, at 12.30 a superb ♂ Hen Harrier (garden tick #2) appeared hunting over the meadows in front of my house for several minutes before heading off toward the NW. Got Whitethroats now too and Lesser 'throat singing simultaneously at both ends of the garden...

James

Last edited:
I'll be visiting Norfolk next week - amazingly my first trip there for NINE YEARS - where have I been ?!
I'm sure the main attractions will be covered but any info on smaller, more local sites would be most welcome by reply or PM.

Cheers
Nick

Sue, intrigued at your Vulture comment. Where exactly and when did you not see it and how many did see it (I would be interested in any names if you could PM me!)

i am also visiting Norfolk next weekend. any monties info would be much appreciated although please if you feel it is best kept a complete secret then do not PM me.
Tom

UEA Whimbrel

Went to see the Iberian Chiffy again today and was fortunate to see 2 Whimbrel fly over. Just thought I'd post that bit of info to annoy the campus listers, tho guess they may have seen some in the past - don't think I did when I was there but can't remember!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back