• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

I know exactly where they are. A small, sedentary population has been present at square TG2308 for a number of years, but recent reports have been suppressed.

Sven the Jackdaw . .

. . continues at Friary Hills NT. Of course, it could be Svenja ! Below are slightly better pix.

S/he seems to be paired with a normal looking specimen. This smallish flock of Jackdaws (10-15) is very flighty- going up frequently and for no apparent reason.

I tried calling “Well”, in a lilting way, but it had no effect.

I heard that there had been 2 Glossy Ibises near Corpusty last weekend. No sign, since.

Attachments

• 021sm.jpg
    021sm.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 024sm.jpg
    024sm.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 120
I know exactly where they are. A small, sedentary population has been present at square TG2308 for a number of years, but recent reports have been suppressed.

If they are where I think you mean then they're only a km or so away from the favoured haunts of a population of Serinus sp. These, however, are far from sedentary and regularly migrate in and out of the county. They aren't suppressed either, but probably should be.

I think the Great Bustard rumour was started by a very bored out of county birder.

When you say TG2308 are you referring to the castle museum or the bars on prince of wales road ?

Good weekend of spring action on the patch and (a little) further afield. Highlights included 4 Green Sandpiper, 2 Chinese Water Deer, Black Redstart and a couple of probable White Wagtails.
Cheers,
Jim.

.... Rough Legged Buzzard had been seen over Strumpshaw all day... gripped at a good patch tick while being on site all day, to make it worse there was also a Great White Egret reported at Buckenham today. Both unconfirmed as all I know is that they were on the notice board at the end of the day.
Anyone see either?

Just a little update on these records, if anyone is interested...
the Great white egret at Buckenham was actually a record of 3 birds- there are currently 3 little egrets present on site, possibly coincidence?

The Rough Legged Buzzard at Strumpshaw, I have been reliably informed is most likely to be a common Buzzard which is currently present which has a pale rump/tail area which could fool you at distance.

I will state now that I have not seen this bird and I'd love to see some photos or hear if anyone has actually seen the RLB or GWE as we have no descriptions/photos or anything to go on.

Thankyou Penny and Sue for the info, i had a great day in your great county,got the lap buntings at Weybourne,had nice views of stonechat,wheatear and s e owl at the same location.Also had a male harrier i'm pretty sure that it was a marsh it was over the reedbeds at the west bank at Cley,it was greyish with a big dark triangular patch over it's shoulders and was rust coloured underneath,could someone confirm this as marsh as i've only ever saw brown types before,thankyou.
Michael.
PS.also thanks to LostGeordie your directions were spot-on.

Last edited:
Ben , there was a RL buzzard a few miles north of your area I came across sparring with a pair of common buzzards while doing HLS survey work last week. I had very good close views so not doubt as to its ID. It could well have wandered down into the Yare valley. There is also a pair of common buzzards just to the north of you the other side of the A 47. Mind you after carrying survey work across the county there seem few wooded upland areas that do not hold common buzzards in Norfolk these days. I am even starting to find them nesting in quite small shelter belts of pines only a couple of acres in size though most of their woodland sites are much larger than that.

Last edited:
Thankyou Penny and Sue for the info, i had a great day in your great county,got the lap buntings at Weybourne,had nice views of stonechat,wheatear and s e owl at the same location.Also had a male harrier i'm pretty sure that it was a marsh it was over the reedbeds at the west bank at Cley,it was greyish with a big dark triangular patch over it's shoulders and was rust coloured underneath,could someone confirm this as marsh as i've only ever saw brown types before,thankyou.
Michael.
PS.also thanks to LostGeordie your directions were spot-on.

Hi Michael
Glad you had a good day and saw the Laplands. The SE Owl would be a lovely sighting too. The Marsh Harrier you saw was probably a male bird. The brown ones you may have seen before will probably have been either female birds or possibly young birds.

Paul and I had fabulous views of Goshawks yesterday in West Norfolk. It was wonderful to watch the wing-clapping of their courtship display.

Best wishes and good birding
Sue

South Norfolk Birding 21/03/11

Thought I'd keep the birding local today and as it happened it turned out rather good.
Started off very dodgily. I was dressed up like it was still -6 outside complete with winter coat and wellies over thermal socks! I can confirm winter is officially over. Within half an hour I was over-heating and sweating like a good-un. Couldn't get back to the car quick enough and discard three layers of un-necessarys and the poxy wellies.
From here on in it was plain sailing. Dis-robed and re-invigorated, off I went again. Started seeing some birds this time. Flushed a Snipe from the Tas Valley at Hapton and then 28 Fieldfares flew over shortly followed by a nice flock of c80 Redwings. Odd single Siskins flew over on several occasions and a pair of Reed Buntings posed nicely. RBs are very reliable out my way. There's not many pairs - probably about seven or eight but where they are, you can rely on them to still be nesting in exactly the same places year after year...Lastly here, a Common Buzzard began displaying over the nearby horse sanctuary.

Stopped off at Rainthorpe Hall Estate for an hour and four Nuthatches were noted, a Kingfisher flew down river, another Buzzard was very low over my head, nine pairs of Stock Doves was a pleasing count and a gang of 15 Maggies were loitering around by the railway line, probably playing Chicken.

Ended up at Shotesham Ford. There's always a big pool here and the River Tas flows quite fast into it. If ever I'm lucky enough to find a Dipper in this county, it may well be here. Did have a rather nice sighting though - no less than four Common Buzzards circling together is a record count for me locally.
So that's six Buzzards locally in one day. Only about a decade ago, I would have been content with maybe one a year! How things change. SB.

Titchwell March 21st

Today’s highlights

Common crane – 3 east @ 11am
Sand martin – 5 west
Red crested pochard – pair in reedbed
Chiffchaff – 5 singing around Meadow Trail
Med gull – 1 over reserve
Tree sparrow – 1 on feeders
Water pipit – 1 on fresh marsh
Twite – 5 on brackish marsh

Paul

It must be me as there seen a number reported on the forum , but though I have seen 2 individuals I have not heard a chiffchaff singing yet. last week survey work at Stiffkey , Dilham , Smallbrough , Alysham , Saxthorpe , Swanton Novers and Eccles today ( South norfolk ) and not a wisper of them. Maybe I have forgotten the song !! how does it go ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back