• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (93 Viewers)

Friary find: ‘fares feeding furtively. Falcon failure.

A frustrating day, after a hard week, made worse by a raging throat and stuffed head; nasal orifices exuding copious amounts of yellow gunge.

West Runton saw me do an epic slog around the whole patch; result, one male Yellow Wagtail. As I returned, I saw a few more under the cattle.

Go to car, fetch ‘scope, go back, waggies gorn ! Small Copper with blue markings twice eludes photographic capture, then scarpers.

Miss singing Whinchat (I don’t mean a young female vocal contestant in Britain's Got Talent) at Salthouse. Get to Cley for more Waggies, to find them halfway across the Eye Field. Blue-headed gorn.

Go to Friary; cows next to path. No waggies. Despite being on the top within 2 minutes of message of Red-foot at The Point: no sign.

What’re these ? Two lovely Fieldfares, in full sum plum. A bit shy, but manage a couple of snaps, even if sun in wrong place. Well, you know what I mean.

There’s still some of the day left.

Attachments

• 011psesm.jpg
    011psesm.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 164
Titchwell May 6th

Today’s highlights

Red footed falcon – adult male east @ 12:15 then circled high inland
Little stint – adult on fresh marsh
Garganey – drake on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

The phone goes at 11.15 and a voice screams 'go and look out of your back window now!'

Arrived just in time to see a honey buzzard drifting low over the housing estate (Briston), presumably en route to the Gt Ryburgh/Swanton Novers area. A very early date - I wouldn't have expected one for at least another week.

Brief views too of a second bird disappearing behind the roof tops to join the first, but didn't see it well enough to see if was a second honey or just a common buzzard. Also the first local swift and house martin for the year plus a displaying sparrowhawk.

Thanks to Alan Burtenshaw for the tip off. Beats working any day.

Gordon

If anyone is interested: the pair of Redstarts in my garden have been here five days now: we've watched both collecting nesting material!
What Broadland breeding records are there in recent years?

I checked some relatively recent literature seeking an answer to your question and as far as I can tell there aren't any successful breeding records in the broads. The nearest prefered area for them used to be along the Cromer ridge and in some of the well wooded North Norfolk parks but they're now absent from, or at least very scarce in those areas these days. Can imagine how great it must feel to have a potential pair of Redstarts nesting in your own garden and watching them going about their business on a daily basis. Here's hoping they stay and breed successfully!

I checked some relatively recent literature seeking an answer to your question and as far as I can tell there aren't any successful breeding records in the broads. The nearest prefered area for them used to be along the Cromer ridge and in some of the well wooded North Norfolk parks but they're now absent from, or at least very scarce in those areas these days. Can imagine how great it must feel to have a potential pair of Redstarts nesting in your own garden and watching them going about their business on a daily basis. Here's hoping they stay and breed successfully!

Cheers for that! Fingers crossed! They are still present, but quite elusive.... The male is singing now and then, though.

A frustrating day, after a hard week, made worse by a raging throat and stuffed head; nasal orifices exuding copious amounts of yellow gunge.

Go to Friary; cows next to path. No waggies. Despite being on the top within 2 minutes of message of Red-foot at The Point: no sign.

What’re these ? Two lovely Fieldfares, in full sum plum. A bit shy, but manage a couple of snaps, even if sun in wrong place. Well, you know what I mean.

There’s still some of the day left.

I too was on the Hills looking in vain for the Red foot later on in the afternoon, instead plenty of bird movement - initially a LRP and Common Sands but then a big swathe of Eastward bound birds - around 40 Whimbrel, Spoonbill, a Kestrel taking one of the newly hatched Lapwing chicks and plenty of Swifts and Martins as the afternoon progressed.

The circumstances around the Falcon were interesting. I had been scanning the shingle ridge when I decided to leave in order to teach myself how to play cricket (sorry thats irrelevant). once through the gates I bumped into the man and his dog who told me the previous day of a Red-rumped Swallow and lots of Ring Ouzels on the Hills. Next another man pulled up in his car to say the Falcon was flying along the Point in our direction - whether either man was telling the truth i have no idea. I legged it up the Hills but still no Falcon. Interesting when I scanned down to the man at the gate all he was doing was speaking to the man with the dog.

Personally I finding it far more philosophically interesting when I don't see a bird than when I do. i guess this is based on my believe that there is no such thing as luck and instead we are all creating our own realities. Why I would chose not to have a male Red foot fly past me is intriguing and I think could be based around three reasons - firstly I've found one before and any Red foot I now find will not beat the pure elation of that initial find. Secondly, all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune that we all suffer when out birding are hopefully leading up to moments at some point in the course of time when it will all makes sense and hopefully we all make great finds. Thirdly I'm nuts ;)

Enough of this claptrap, 3 further points - John with your track record I wouldn't feel to disheartened and I would expect that there is an extremely high chance of you making a great find this weekend. Secondly, all the Waggies are on the West side of Blakeney this year, feasting on sheep poo just East of Morston car park. 3rd i'm pretty sure these late Fieldfares are migrants rather than tardy winterers since their arrivals coincide strongly with Temminck's Stint and Red foot patterns.

Good luck manifesting great birds this weekend people, expect masses of Swifts

....Personally I finding it far more philosophically interesting when I don't see a bird than when I do. i guess this is based on my believe that there is no such thing as luck and instead we are all creating our own realities. Why I would chose not to have a male Red foot fly past me is intriguing and I think could be based around three reasons - firstly I've found one before and any Red foot I now find will not beat the pure elation of that initial find. Secondly, all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune that we all suffer when out birding are hopefully leading up to moments at some point in the course of time when it will all makes sense and hopefully we all make great finds. Thirdly I'm nuts ;)

Enough of this claptrap, 3 further points - John with your track record I wouldn't feel to disheartened and I would expect that there is an extremely high chance of you making a great find this weekend. Secondly, all the Waggies are on the West side of Blakeney this year, feasting on sheep poo just East of Morston car park. 3rd i'm pretty sure these late Fieldfares are migrants rather than tardy winterers since their arrivals coincide strongly with Temminck's Stint and Red foot patterns.

Thats the most entertaining post you have written to date Josh - made me laugh boy!;) Have you given up that there pager yet?

See you all this weekend!!!:t:

Penny:girl::gn:

I too was on the Hills looking in vain for the Red foot later on in the afternoon, instead plenty of bird movement - initially a LRP and Common Sands but then a big swathe of Eastward bound birds - around 40 Whimbrel, Spoonbill, a Kestrel taking one of the newly hatched Lapwing chicks and plenty of Swifts and Martins as the afternoon progressed.

The circumstances around the Falcon were interesting. I had been scanning the shingle ridge when I decided to leave in order to teach myself how to play cricket (sorry thats irrelevant). once through the gates I bumped into the man and his dog who told me the previous day of a Red-rumped Swallow and lots of Ring Ouzels on the Hills. Next another man pulled up in his car to say the Falcon was flying along the Point in our direction - whether either man was telling the truth i have no idea. I legged it up the Hills but still no Falcon. Interesting when I scanned down to the man at the gate all he was doing was speaking to the man with the dog.

Personally I finding it far more philosophically interesting when I don't see a bird than when I do. i guess this is based on my believe that there is no such thing as luck and instead we are all creating our own realities. Why I would chose not to have a male Red foot fly past me is intriguing and I think could be based around three reasons - firstly I've found one before and any Red foot I now find will not beat the pure elation of that initial find. Secondly, all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune that we all suffer when out birding are hopefully leading up to moments at some point in the course of time when it will all makes sense and hopefully we all make great finds. Thirdly I'm nuts ;)

Interesting observations Josh as ever. I suspect the "I'm nuts" is closer to the money!! I do admire your honesty though. Birding does attract its fair share of "individuals/characters" and Norfolk has more than its quota of birders! Most non birders consider birding/twitching as an activity for the completely mad!! Walking to the point (in a pair of shorts) in a force seven gale to see an Yank flycatcher perhaps sums things up rather nicely. Of course, that would not be anything either of us would ever consider doing, would we!!

Having gone out to Cambs today in search of Red Foots (I did not see any!!) I would agree that finding your own beats following the pager.

What is all the gen on these Red Foots? There does appear to be rather a lot of them at the moment!! I am sure some of them are kosher. I am sure the man and his dog will be putting in a description!!

I suspect it could be a busy weekend!!

Regards.

Mark

Last edited:
What are peoples' thoughts on the origin of the Aldeby white stork? I notice it's been around a couple of days now and I'm wondering if it's worth a punt

Anyone remember that slightly naff movie "The Swarm" from the 70s? It was being remade in Hempnall today with much better effects. There was a MASSIVE swarm of bees in somones front garden and thousands upon thousands of them were hanging off the tree branches like some kind of living, seething mass of orange and black candy floss and their combined humming reverberated all around me. Truly amazing!

Thats the most entertaining post you have written to date Josh - made me laugh boy!;) Have you given up that there pager yet?

See you all this weekend!!!:t:

Penny:girl::gn:

Yeah its great thanks, my conception of what birds are about is vague and hazy at the best of times and not having the black box has just made its all that little bit more hazier - which is a good thing.

In a attempt to truly return to the wild I've got a holiday coming up. Planning for it to be a bit different This will be the premise - camping out in the wilds of norfolk - not saying where cos its probably a bit naughty - no form of technology of any kind - i.e phone, watch, computer, living off tins of beans, plenty of barefootedness, tree climbing and swimming and dawn to dusk birding. my travelling companion will be a copy of JA Baker but mainly the wide open spaces of Norfolk. I would strongly recommend this return to nature approach for anyone on this forum to truly zone in to Norfolk at its best.

No rain today so looks like the anticipated glut of overshooters has not materialised however still time.

Last edited:
In a attempt to truly return to the wild I've got a holiday coming up. Planning for it to be a bit different This will be the premise - camping out in the wilds of norfolk - not saying where cos its probably a bit naughty - no form of technology of any kind - i.e phone, watch, computer, living off tins of beans, plenty of barefootedness, tree climbing and swimming and dawn to dusk birding. my travelling companion will be a copy of JE Baker but mainly the wide open spaces of Norfolk. I would strongly recommend this return to nature approach for anyone on this forum to truly zone in to Norfolk at its best.
Sounds good. Sort of Ray Mears meets The Famous Five. Don't forget the lashings of ginger beer. ;)

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back