• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (108 Viewers)

Nice bird sitting on the roof top in Hunstanton, but where has it come from?

Attachments

• Eagle-Owl-(2)--Hunstanton-0.jpg
    Eagle-Owl-(2)--Hunstanton-0.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 100
Hi
Maybe this question has got lost in the flycatcher excitement. What I understand about Y64 is that was marked in the Netherlands as an adult male on 22/6/0, carries a metal ring NLA 8051479 and is from a feral population. It was seen regulalry in the Netherlands until 16/2 10 when it crossed the North Sea and has been seen in the Cley/Stiffkey area on and off since.
Cheers

And I think it will be in the Cley area for some time.

John

Attachments

• glg (1 of 1).jpg
    glg (1 of 1).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 99
The next time you’re sitting next to me at the S’ham shelter and I spot an albatross go past, shall I be rigidly parsimonious and not include you on the raries form (?!).

No but I wouldn't expect to go down as co-finder unless you said albatross and I said "John its yellow-nosed" surely you have to add something to the ID or both shout at the same time ? merely standing next to someone who finds a rare bird and ID's it doesn't mean you also found it, or does it ??

Hungary shmungary !!

Stuart, re your #11715:

You’re being economical with Verity. Both you and I know what I’m talking about.

And ‘co-submitter’ isn’t synonymous with ‘co-finder’.

4 Temmick's stints on the fresh marsh at Titchwell late this afternoon, also 2 little stint and a pair of garganey. There had been 2 curlew sands earlier in the day but had gone when I got there.

Paul

He reads this forum, you better have a good lawyer or your boxing gloves ready !!

My amusement is at the concept of a ranking system for birders! What a load of c*ck! There are plenty of experienced observers out there who are virtually unknown by the general birding community....
And I'm no ten stone wiener, you know!

My amusement is at the concept of a ranking system for birders! What a load of c*ck! There are plenty of experienced observers out there who are virtually unknown by the general birding community....
And I'm no ten stone wiener, you know!

I doubt he calls himself that and I totally agree with you, those who shout the loudest usually have nothing to say. I was just pulling your leg

Stuart, re your #11715:

You’re being economical with Verity. Both you and I know what I’m talking about.

And ‘co-submitter’ isn’t synonymous with ‘co-finder’.

Verity treacle - surely with a straight forward bird like this with enough photogrpahs and one decent description the BBRC would accept it ? It was clearly a 1st summer male collared fly ? but yes point taken co-submitter doesn't equal co-finder. The polite thing is to ask the finder if he or she wants another description submitted. We are all gentlemen after all, ha ha ha

A late afternoon trip to Rush Hills produced Wood Sand, Common Sand, a few Greenshanks and a partial summer plumage Grey Plover overhead calling but little else of note.
I decided to stop in at Whitlingham Lane on my way home where a fine drake Goldeneye was a surprise on the Great Broad. I then moved to the car park by the river (beyond the Great Broad) and could see 4 birders on the other side looking on Station Marshes. I decided to perch on a tree stump to see if I could see what they were watching and could just make out the 2 Wood Sands (about 10mins before the pager message came through)!!! A decent Norwich tick for me :)

Chris

Was really good to you see you both today Matt and Emma after such a long while. A lovely surprise and my best find of the day (even though you found me!). Matt, whatever I say just take it with a big dose of salt! You know what I'm like sometimes.

Only two people looking for the Collared Flycatcher this evening which is not surprising as it is gone. Had to try though as I couldn't get up to see it yesterday. Met Penny though and had a proper chat with her for the first time. Nice to meet you Penny. At least one Wood Sand still on Redwell Marsh this evening and a great close-up view of a singing Cuckoo so some consolation for missing the flycatcher.

Should the Audouin's Gull not be relocated at Minsmere, this bird should be on the radar for the next few days. North Scrape and Arnolds Marsh would be good places to keep a lookout!!! Lets hope nobody is overheard saying about a large gull with a red bill, "its not an Audouin's, I have seen lots in Mallorca!!!!" Lets hope not!! Would be a very popular addition to the Norfolk list!!!

Good to see DN's "Mickey Mouse" blog back online. Great photo of the Pied Fly!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a stunner!!! Keep up the good work Dave. Facebook was never going to catch on Dave!!!!!!!!

http://ruralchill.blogspot.com/2011/05/two-days-two-megas.html?spref=fb

Last edited:
So is the Bluethroat showing in the daytimes now as well then?

Not sure if it normally does but on Sunday it was showing 5 metres to the left of Buxton Hide (from the left of the hide itself). This was every 10 minutes just before midday and it had been showing most of the morning there. Very photogenic too!

I was directed to Friends Hide upon my 9am arrival, as it had been showing to the left of that hide in the early morning, but no sign for me and I was about to give up before people in the main observatory told me it had been showing all morning from Buxton Hide.

Superfly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmo6MRYf5g

Hey, well done to everyone who saw the Collared fly on Sunday, a bit like the Black Lark it looks like it was one just for the Norfolk folks.

Especially well done Penny, i read your blog and think you should definitely have your initials up for being one of the finders. I believe that anyone who is involved in the narrative, in the tapestry that unfolds when finding a rare bird should take credit. When I've been out with my good birding pal Stratton Birder we definitely have a philosophy that everything we find is a joint find. If say Steve finds a Wryneck, well a Wryneck's a Wryneck but it could have been me that decided to go to that particular site. Everytime I go out birding I know that there is one particular path that will lead to a great find, follow that path and your gonna hit gold.

Also I read about the events that lead up to find, in regard to being rewarded for being a good samaritan and think it happened on this occasion, spending a whole morning fiddaddling about trying to sort out the lost scope obviously generated some pretty powerful good vibes. Sorry if all ths seems like I'm a**el**king maybe I'm trying to make up for a few past misdemeanours :t:

Collared Flys though - how awesome is that. When I was in Poland they were really common but I was blown away everytime i saw one. Indeed probably the moment of the holiday was when the rest of the group charged off in pursuit of our tenth species of Woodpecker, I held back and watched a male Collared flitting around his nest hole presumably after a second brood. I was just determined to keep on enjoying the commonplace as its was too easy to overlook in search of the rarer - still 'need' White-backed Woodie though :-O

Theres something really cat-like about Collared Flys, maybe its that black tin of paint chucked over white thing going on but really reminds me of my old cat Bonxie (no the other was not called Pom)! He was one of those cats, you know the once in a lifetime cats and he too had a white collar that just extended round the back of his neck (maybe I'm on for finding a Semi-collared... )

Well done again Penny, now all you got to do is find one purely on your own, the lane opposite house on the hill maybe!

Next Norfolk county first or unblocker Audouins Gull?

Should the Audouin's Gull not be relocated at Minsmere, this bird should be on the radar for the next few days. North Scrape and Arnolds Marsh would be good places to keep a lookout!!! Lets hope nobody is overheard saying about a large gull with a red bill, "its not an Audouin's, I have seen lots in Mallorca!!!!" Lets hope not!! Would be a very popular addition to the Norfolk list!!!

Audouin's gull a good bet for a Norfolk first record.

If I spend a lot of time birding in Suffolk, it is because I have 65 species in Norfolk with no Suffolk record. (Citrine wagtail for example). Only 14 the other way.

The 14 in Suffolk are
14 Baikal Teal
13 Lesser Scaup
12 Bufflehead
11 Lesser Kestrel
10 Terek Sandpiper
9 Ivory Gull Norfolk 1978 only
8 Alpine Accentor
7 Isabelline Wheatear
6 Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
5 Spectacled Warbler
4 Marmora's Warbler
3 Short-toed Treecreeper
2 Red-eyed Vireo
1 Black-headed Bunting

Terek sandpiper and alpine accentor both dipped by me in Norfolk.
No Norfolk record for most of the other 12.
The three duck records were accepted!

Other Norfolk blockers
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Forster's Tern
Melodious Warbler (weekend bird!)
Southern Grey Shrike
White-throated Sparrow
Roller

I could go on.
Oh yes male Siberian Rubythroat!

Users who are viewing this thread