• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (78 Viewers)

Due to that thing called 'work' and not always having the energy to go out after work, one is not able to go birding as much as one would like, but did manage to go out Monday after work - see http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2161482&postcount=11984

Penny- no need to justify yourself, I had already read your post! I had perhaps suggested only one person has been birding in Norfolk; of course many more have quietly gone about their business (including those that don't post on the forum!) and no doubt good birds are being found. I imagine many decent birders have gone to Hartlepool (and good luck to them, can't say I wouldn't consider a lift) but who knows what has made landfall somewhere near us?! Spring migration is not over yet....and whether it be Holme, Hunstanton or Horsey, plenty more quality to come!
Cheers,
Jim.

Penny- no need to justify yourself, I had already read your post! I had perhaps suggested only one person has been birding in Norfolk; of course many more have quietly gone about their business (including those that don't post on the forum!) and no doubt good birds are being found. I imagine many decent birders have gone to Hartlepool (and good luck to them, can't say I wouldn't consider a lift) but who knows what has made landfall somewhere near us?! Spring migration is not over yet....and whether it be Holme, Hunstanton or Horsey, plenty more quality to come!
Cheers,
Jim.
Looking at the pager, I agree - very short on news over the last few days in Norfolk!!!!! Hope it improves - sure it will:t:

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
A collared fly, a great snipe, two broad billed sands. Various odds and sods including a proper rosefinch, marsh warbler and beeater is an ok spring! There is still a week or so left. Shall be at holme at the weekend. Can not see the robin sticking till the weekend, although I have been wrong before!

Lightning strikes twice?
After stumbling across the Black Stork at Waxham last week thought that it might be as good as it was going to get as far as finding a good bird this spring and despite the strong southerlies, a walk yesterday from Horsey Corner to Winterton South Dunes and back proved uneventful despite feeling really 'birdy'.
However, the same walk today provided a 1-s male Red-footed Falcon about a mile south of Horsey Corner which eventually headed off towards Winterton North Dunes after five minutes. Although statistically commoner than the stork a lot more pleasure in the finding since I was sure that I would find either a red-foot or a bee-eater before I set out!
After it disappeared, tried the most obvious site 'just in case' but Hickling only provided 3 hobbies and little else. If anyone is out tomorrow, either Hickling or Upton Fen could be worth a look.

Lightning strikes twice?
After stumbling across the Black Stork at Waxham last week thought that it might be as good as it was going to get as far as finding a good bird this spring and despite the strong southerlies, a walk yesterday from Horsey Corner to Winterton South Dunes and back proved uneventful despite feeling really 'birdy'.
However, the same walk today provided a 1-s male Red-footed Falcon about a mile south of Horsey Corner which eventually headed off towards Winterton North Dunes after five minutes. Although statistically commoner than the stork a lot more pleasure in the finding since I was sure that I would find either a red-foot or a bee-eater before I set out!
After it disappeared, tried the most obvious site 'just in case' but Hickling only provided 3 hobbies and little else. If anyone is out tomorrow, either Hickling or Upton Fen could be worth a look.

WOW! Congratulations Mick!!!!!:t:

Dawn

You move out here and sit in eveningtime to the blink of first light of the dawn. and you sit down quayside, reaching the lowest steps, watching the ripples expanding insistantly outwardly, resistantly inwardly, the silhuotte of an egret prodding searchingly, a leopard skin of contradictions beckoning in new day

Well done Mick, I was out in the very same area with one of the punkbirders the day before hoping for something like that to drift over head. It makes a change for it not to be "should of been here yesterday" rather should have gone tomorrow!

Daniel

You move out here and sit in eveningtime to the blink of first light of the dawn. and you sit down quayside, reaching the lowest steps, watching the ripples expanding insistantly outwardly, resistantly inwardly, the silhuotte of an egret prodding searchingly, a leopard skin of contradictions beckoning in new day

Dare I ask what you are doing up at 3.51am ?

Dare I ask what you are doing up at 3.51am ?

Well I reckon he has just come indoors from sitting on the "quayside, reaching the lowest steps, watching the ripples expanding insistantly outwardly, resistantly inwardly, the silhuotte of an egret prodding searchingly, a leopard skin of contradictions beckoning in new day';););)

What self respecting birdwatcher would not be out at that time of day. My bird surveys have been starting with the dawn 6 days a week for the past 10 weeks and many finnishing with the deep dusk. By 7 am most of the good birds have disapeared into the undergrowth for the day.

Penny-Seeing as you are kinda that way any sign of the Montagu's this year yet?
Also anyone got any good sites in the North of the county for Garden Warbler? also flycatchers would be welcome!
Also anyone seen any Redstarts' recently? Can't remember the last time I saw one :-C

Lightning strikes twice?

Top birds from a top birder, no more than you deserve Mick, am expecting Amur Falcon from you in the coming years! (...but make sure its at the weekend and flying in the right direction!)
ATB
Andy

No shortage of garden warblers this year in Norfolk . I find them in most good quality woodlands , but we are starting to get to end the song period which will make them a lot harder to find. As for redstarts , there some in the Brecks I understand , but they are few and far between in the remainder of the county. All the N Norfolk breeding redstarts ( a handful ) I know of are in private woodland.

Penny-Seeing as you are kinda that way any sign of the Montagu's this year yet?
Also anyone got any good sites in the North of the county for Garden Warbler? also flycatchers would be welcome!
Also anyone seen any Redstarts' recently? Can't remember the last time I saw one :-C

I havn't seen a Mongagu's or a redstart this year - sorry!

What self respecting birdwatcher would not be out at that time of day. My bird surveys have been starting with the dawn 6 days a week for the past 10 weeks and many finnishing with the deep dusk. By 7 am most of the good birds have disapeared into the undergrowth for the day.

Do you know josh ? I assume he'd just rolled in from some all night rave and fancied posting on here.

Top birds from a top birder, no more than you deserve Mick, am expecting Amur Falcon from you in the coming years! (...but make sure its at the weekend and flying in the right direction!)
ATB
Andy

Cheers for that but think you're setting the bar a bit too high - how about short-toed eagle instead?

Mick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back