• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (112 Viewers)

cley whale

For those without pagers:

A whale sp. went east, slowly, past Cley at 0742h.

Yes, I know it's not a bird (and Wales should be on the west coast), but . . .

Spent two hours this morning looking for whale off East Runton, all I saw was the black swan flying about.
Maybe of interest to view the link regarding the whale I saw off Sheringham in July.
So difficult to ID

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=204863

Regards
Graham

Titchwell September 12th

Today’s highlights

Little bittern – juv in pool just north of the Meadow Trail on the west side of the main path although elusive. The new seawall has been damaged over the weekend, please view only from the footpath.
Curlew sandpiper – 7 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 3 on fresh marsh
Mandarin – 5 on reedbed pool, 7 over the weekend (reserve record!)
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

(Super)sonic the Swan

Having, similarly, seen the Black Swan off Sheringham several times, I also glimpsed it at Salthouse beach car park.

I first saw it rear up over the shingle bank by the Little Eye, facing (necking?) in my direction, and be immediately taken by the wind. In the time it took me to get out and ready my camera (6 seconds), it was blown past and over Gramboro’ ! ! Wow. I bet that was one giddy swan.

If it’s looking for mates, where’s the long-time resident adult at the mo ?

Alright Dave, The Bittern and Wagtail are from the breeding populations at Titchwell and Cley respectively. The Pallid is one of the birds that started out up North. The Red-foot is an Amur and the waders are the result of the hurricane, the cricket was always going to be a tie - bleeding obvious - thought you would have known all that!

This is as much as I had assumed, although a temporal rift might have played its part!

Obviously others thought this not worthy or came to the same conclusions.

Seems to be some interesting visualisation going on at the moment:eat:

This is as much as I had assumed, although a temporal rift might have played its part!

Obviously others thought this not worthy or came to the same conclusions.

Seems to be some interesting visualisation going on at the moment:eat:

By visualisation, I assume you are referring to the Albatross sp. seen off Overstrand this evening David?! Must try it some time, what a bird to drift by on a seawatch, perhaps the ultimate in pelagic visualisation.
Still on a high after the Little Bittern, I nipped to the patch yesterday evening. 29 Mistle Thrush going to roost was a site record for me, and a Hobby left it late to put in an appearance. Rather beautiful evening it was, too.
Cheers,
Jim.

By visualisation, I assume you are referring to the Albatross sp. seen off Overstrand this evening David?! Must try it some time, what a bird to drift by on a seawatch, perhaps the ultimate in pelagic visualisation.
Still on a high after the Little Bittern, I nipped to the patch yesterday evening. 29 Mistle Thrush going to roost was a site record for me, and a Hobby left it late to put in an appearance. Rather beautiful evening it was, too.
Cheers,
Jim.

Strangely, Jim, I hadn't seen that before posting!
Anything is possible, it's just not that many are probable!

WOW - What a Whale of a time!!!!!

Met Eddie at Coastguards 7am. The sea was very still, not much happening really. A few cormorants flew past, Eddie said that they would be probably be the highlight of the day. A Red-throated diver went west. At 7.38am I picked up an Arctic Skua and 2 minutes later at 7.40am I thought Eddie was joking when he said "WHALE"!!!!!!!! he saw it surface twice - the hump and the small curved fin - a Northern Minke Whale - it was going east. I couldn't see it at all, so I then sprinted to the car and grabbed camera, which took me all of a matter of seconds and stood back in place and scanned again, BUT very, very sadly I didn't see it - incredibly frustrating. I put the news out to RBA at 7.42am and soon a few Cley regulars joined us.

We then flew to Weybourne.........

See Blog for full update and rest of the day's bird news.

Penny:girl:

Wow - just noticed on RBA - an Albatross sp. reported west past Overstrand at 6.25pm and then possibly flew back east!!!!!!

So glad I am on holiday this week with whats turning up in the rest of the UK today!!!

not much at warham greens today, other than a fairly significant hatching of red admirals. I wonder if Im going to actually find anything better than wryneck before sunday... Pallid Harrier over my house? I hope that somebodies going to check Sheringham lighthouse for REV this week...

gotta be in those sycamores, its like the garrison! Or so I'm told. Chances look good for this species to be added to the Norfolk list in the next couple of days...odd that there's never been a record given 3 in Suffolk & 1 in Lincs, surely it must have gone by un-recorded at some point?

Please keep the personal nonsense of this forum or Im going to limit access for one or two of you, seems some have an agenda other than birding in Norfolk here.

We have been here before so please heed this warning.

gotta be in those sycamores, its like the garrison! Or so I'm told. Chances look good for this species to be added to the Norfolk list in the next couple of days...odd that there's never been a record given 3 in Suffolk & 1 in Lincs, surely it must have gone by un-recorded at some point?

I know it's being picky, but 4 records of REV for God's own county (1988 & 1991 in Lowestoft, 1995 at Southwold & Thorpeness - 2 on the same day!).

Chris A.

Red-eyed Vireo [REV]

That’s what my gradually booting up brain told me we were on about, at this hour. Ship-borne migrants would, presumably, be more likely to turn up in Suffolk, nearer to the international port at Felixstowe. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I would have thought that more ships from the US etc. would dock there, rather than somewhere (do they anywhere?) in Norfolk.

And re #13029: from your description (dwatsonbirder), I’m sure you were meaning to say ‘Cromer’ Lighthouse. This kind of slip is very easy to make and is hardly worthy of eternal damnation.

I would have said this is quite a good shout and long overdue, although no nearctic passerines have been reported on the Azores, to yesterday.

As regards AlbatrossWatch last night, it was more than frustrating getting updates over my mobile, as the still (publicly) unID’d Diomedeid sp stubbornly refused to plane west of Cromer Pier. It had, apparently, been seen to within 200m, by the original observer. I lay all the blame on GANNETS and hereby and vehemently excoriate them: it seemed to veer back towards Overstrand, when a few of these continued their easterly voyage around the coast. Agh! yet again.

I do not usually predict the weather, as the official channels so often get it wrong for this part of the world, but it IS looking for Friday onwards.

Good call guy's, I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on the correct geographical location of the lighthouse, perhaps it was just wishful thinking as I seem to spend more time further west! I wasn't aware of the '88 record, but to be fair I would have been 1&half years old...
It would appear that the low pressure system (Korina?) that has dumped several American waders (and REV on Silly) has followed a more north eastern trajectory than the "typical" Atlantic lows, & as a result the Azores shouldn't be receiving any yanks until Thursday, as a result of a blocking high stretching from Biscay to the Mid-Atlantic.
I'd be interested to hear people's idea's about how Norfolk has received American land birds in the past, could these be linked in with ship-assistance, or re-orientation of birds that have arrived in previous autumns?

Titchwell September 13th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 8 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Long-tailed duck – 1 drifting west offshore
Manx shearwater – 2 offshore
Spoonbill – 1 over east
Little bittern – no sign today

Paul

Thank you, Cley !

To whomever was 'next-the-sea' and submitting regular messages to RBA.

We, at S'ham (Eddie, Penny, Pete) saw a poss. Sooty and then a good one going W, but none of the other goodies. I think the race was funneling a lot of stuff out to the NE.

Quite a few Manxies way out (and no, I don't mean dreadlocks, Afghan jackets and large 'cigarettes').

To whomever was 'next-the-sea' and submitting regular messages to RBA.

We, at S'ham (Eddie, Penny, Pete) saw a poss. Sooty and then a good one going W, but none of the other goodies. I think the race was funneling a lot of stuff out to the NE.

Quite a few Manxies way out (and no, I don't mean dreadlocks, Afghan jackets and large 'cigarettes').

Said pager messages made my mouth water John as we drove home from Cley this evening. Did have a Sooty Shearwater this morning; one east off Titchwell at 11:40...

James

Full list from cley 6:30-7:30 pm.
Sooty Shearwater, Corys Shearwater x2, long tailed skua, red throated diver, several manx shearwater and gannets, few small auks a long way off.
Great hours work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back