• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (111 Viewers)

that's amazing, have there been any records of willow warbler in norfolk in January before ? I thought it was virtually unheard of in the past ?

I had a chiffchaff singing at ranworth yesterday and lots of woodpeckers drumming

It was mentioned in previous posts. I have never heard of a wintering one but I did see a Common Redstart wintering in central London years ago, so anything is possible!
Could it be an Eastern race bird?
I hope someone can get some photos in next few weeks. Presumably if it survives it will stick around with the Chiffs there

It was mentioned in previous posts. I have never heard of a wintering one but I did see a Common Redstart wintering in central London years ago, so anything is possible!
Could it be an Eastern race bird?
I hope someone can get some photos in next few weeks. Presumably if it survives it will stick around with the Chiffs there

Yes but the responses were fairly disbelieving ! This record now sounds more credible with more people seeing it, no disrespect to Tim P ?

I thought willow warblers died as soon as the temperature went sub-zero as they are much less hardy than chiffchaffs.

Q. What do you get when you cross a duck and a place where rabbits live? A. Baby cat.

“It is hoped Wigeon, a female from Pensthorpe, and Warren, a male from the breeding programme at nearby Whitwell Hall, will produce two to six kittens in around April and possibly breed for a second time later this year.” (EDP news item about Red Squirrel breeding programme in Norfolk, 14 Jan.)

All we need now, apparently, is for Thetford Forest to be rid- and kept clear- of Grey Squirrels ! ? Yes ! Whilst I love The Reds (not expressing a footie preference, here), I’m not sure I can see how this will happen.

you don't get Black Bears at Holkham.

Yes, Dave, I agree. (Although there is an eponymous Pub over the border, in Cambs.) Mind you, I’m not exactly an expert in the instant differentiation of mammalian ‘fun duds’ and bear not one scintilla of guilt for my brief confusion.

Today, it was good to meet Will at the end of Lady Anne’s and wish him a HNY. This was soon followed by brief Firecrest and the depicted Chiffchaff.

4 Shorelarks were again in evidence, allowing even closer approaches than yesterday (less disturbance?), in the strong sunlight. c60 Snow Buntings flew around a few times.

Attachments

• 009pse.jpg
    009pse.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 110
  • 472pse.jpg
    472pse.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 105
  • 546pse2.jpg
    546pse2.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 113
have there been any records of willow warbler in norfolk in January before ? I thought it was virtually unheard of in the past ?

No records in the months December, January and February up until 1999 at least, per 'The Birds of Norfolk'. Latest autumn record 15th November 1992 (Great Yarmouth) and earliest spring record 11th March 1989 (Salthouse). Haven't got all Norfolk Bird Reports since then to hand at uni, but expect these are the first winter records for the county.

The main pool at Kelling was partly frozen today, although a few good birds were present.
Song and Mistle Thrush were the highlights, with a vocal Goldcrest also present in the large conifer at the start of the track.
The long staying Ruff was still there but only 1 Redshank present, up to 6 were there last week.
There was an eerie feel to the place today, little wind and next to no man made noise and only 2 other people seen gave the meadows a mystical and almost tense feel, the presence of 2 Carrion Crows did little to relieve this feeling.
Really is a fantastic place though and one I'm glad to have as my patch.

Attachments

• Ruff kelling.jpg
    Ruff kelling.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Kelling 1.jpg
    Kelling 1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 76
  • kelling thrush 1.jpg
    kelling thrush 1.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 95
  • crow kelling 1.jpg
    crow kelling 1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 87
Titchwell January 16th

Today’s highlights

Coues’s arctic redpoll – 1 still present
Snow bunting – 15 on beach
Red necked grebe – 1 offshore
Marsh harrier – 15 to roost
Hen harrier – male and ringtail to roost

All fresh water frozen all day so most of the wildfowl have moved off

Paul

Hi,

Have spotted something near Cley in N.Norfolk. (see thread on bird identification for full description)

Is it possible that a Siberian Stonechat would be around here? I am trying to find a way to convert RAW files to upload on here

I have just received a PM from a Birdforum member based in Norfolk, who I shall not name, stating the following:

"I have just looked through the sightings sheets from Strumpshaw for the past few months. I see that you have reported a Black throated diver in mid November from the Tower Hide. This would obviously be a good record for Strumpy, do you have any photos or notes of the bird?"

Now what do I make of this?

1. Is it a wind up from the sender?
2. Is it a bad idea of a joke from the person who wrote it in the book?
3. Is it another attempt to ruin my reputation due to the fact that some may perceive it as "weakened" after the Cory's Shearwater affair?

I am not going to justify myself once again! But whoever felt it necessary to write this, for whatever reason, should know I haven't been to Strumpshaw Fen RSPB since 29th September 2011, So a pretty piss poor attempt at a wind up!

Frankly though I am not surprised to be reading this, its the level of immaturity I have come to expect in recent months.

So if anyone wants to own up to doing this then we can talk about it like men , if not then I hope they know that I will find out and there will be plenty to say on the subject.

Peace!

As I walked north along the boardwalk from Lady Anne’s Drive at Holkham, I saw 4 Gorillas coming towards me. This was a world and, obviously, site tick.

They were carrying some sort of high tech box (sound system, perhaps) and, when questioned, confirmed they were not Black Bears. (I hadn’t been quite sure.) I didn’t ask them what they were doing there, but they gave the appearance of being students and were, of course, in costume.

I’d thought they might’ve had something to do with the Archbishop of Canterbury (well, he is the Primate of All England), but did not ape my actions with the 4 Shorelarks and did not photograph them.

When I left the car, there was bright sun. Inevitably, when I started larking about with the camera, it was dull and grey. Typically, too, I heard them first, but just couldn’t see them. Went to alert some others and we flushed them- from close under our feet.

I didn’t get a sniff of the Firecrest, but it had been heard about 15 minutes before I arrived.

A Peregrine perched distantly.

The gorillas were still present about 4pm when Bethany and I arrived at the beach. We had no trouble identifying them. Try explaining that to a five year old!

I have just received a PM from a Birdforum member based in Norfolk, who I shall not name, stating the following:

"I have just looked through the sightings sheets from Strumpshaw for the past few months. I see that you have reported a Black throated diver in mid November from the Tower Hide. This would obviously be a good record for Strumpy, do you have any photos or notes of the bird?"

Now what do I make of this?

1. Is it a wind up from the sender?
2. Is it a bad idea of a joke from the person who wrote it in the book?
3. Is it another attempt to ruin my reputation due to the fact that some may perceive it as "weakened" after the Cory's Shearwater affair?

I am not going to justify myself once again! But whoever felt it necessary to write this, for whatever reason, should know I haven't been to Strumpshaw Fen RSPB since 29th September 2011, So a pretty piss poor attempt at a wind up!

Frankly though I am not surprised to be reading this, its the level of immaturity I have come to expect in recent months.

So if anyone wants to own up to doing this then we can talk about it like men , if not then I hope they know that I will find out and there will be plenty to say on the subject.

Peace!

I have no idea who emailed you or who wrote it in the sightings sheets, but I would presume that whoever emailed you had in all good faith picked up the record from the sightings sheet as they stated, in which case if they are involved in collating records for any sort of publication, be that county-related or Strumpshaw-related, they were absolutely right to query it - I would expect them to do that whoever the observer was. And in this case it proved fortuitous that they did query it and not just take it on face value, because it was evidently not a genuine sighting.

I don't know any better than anyone else what the perpetrator's intentions were but if it were me they'd done it to I would assume it was a wind-up, and probably a light-hearted one at that. I shouldn't take it to heart if I were you! I doubt if any harm was intended and I very much doubt if anyone feels the need to ruin your reputation.

I have no idea who emailed you or who wrote it in the sightings sheets, but I would presume that whoever emailed you had in all good faith picked up the record from the sightings sheet as they stated, in which case if they are involved in collating records for any sort of publication, be that county-related or Strumpshaw-related, they were absolutely right to query it - I would expect them to do that whoever the observer was. And in this case it proved fortuitous that they did query it and not just take it on face value, because it was evidently not a genuine sighting.

I don't know any better than anyone else what the perpetrator's intentions were but if it were me they'd done it to I would assume it was a wind-up, and probably a light-hearted one at that. I shouldn't take it to heart if I were you! I doubt if any harm was intended and I very much doubt if anyone feels the need to ruin your reputation.

David,

Surely a light-hearted joke is one shared with a friend, and further more, you share it with them face to face. I sympathise deeply with Oliver, as I myself suffered greatly -as did he- at the hands of faceless, rude and down right childish critics. Presuming another person -called Oliver- did see, or presumed they saw a BTD from Tower hide that day, then all this excitement has been for nothing. But, if this is the work of one, or indeed a group of people, then it is surely a very pathetic and intentionally insulting one. I for one thought the curtain had been drawn on the whole thing, seemingly not.

If I, a man brought up on a council estate that most Norfolk birders wouldn't be able to buy a pint of milk on without being left trying to dial the last 9, raised by two mentally ill parents, seeing stab wounds before I saw a Dunnock, barely educated and leaving home at 16; can still act with dignity and treat people with respect & morality. Then surely some of these people can steady themselves on their high horses and do the same.

Oliver is a good bloke, and doesn't have a malice bone in his entire body. I do not post on here anymore, but I will continue to defend him in the face of these cretins.

Please understand David, I have the utmost respect for you. You are easily the most diplomatic posters on this thread, and your approach to birding is a truly inspirational one.

To all those inspiring, constructive and supportive Norfolk birders I bid you fair well, to the rest of you I wish you good luck.

Dave,
The questions were very much rhetorical, covering the possibilities that could have led to this coming to light.
As Kieran says there could be a mix up, although I find it hard to believe the sender of the email to me could have linked a random "Oliver" to myself.
I think it needs to be equally seen from my point of view. I faced a lot of very heavy criticism over sightings in the past and I was happy to leave it behind and not bother anyone else with it. Surely you can see why I have taken offence to having this all dragged up again? If that is indeed what has happened.
As Kieran says it does appear someone with a very low level of maturity and intelligence has thought this would be amusing, I hope it at least amused them for a couple of minutes.
The request is still out there, if the person responsible for this wants to come forward then there will be no hard feelings.

Glaucous Gull, Sheringham, jiv flew past Crown Pub @1235, briefly on outflow on east promenade before flying west.

I think I also have seen this gull. About 11ish from the cliff top at cromer.
Was with family and had left bins in the car, but large obviously creamy pale white gull with herring gulls just west of the pier.

Thanks Kieran - kind words.

To clarify, the purpose of my post was put Oliver at ease. Firstly to demonstrate that there was every probability, from the information presented, that the person who sent the mail was doing so in all good faith and with no malice or part in any wind-up - not that I know that to be the case, just that it seems most likely to me. Secondly to point out that as unwelcome as it may have been, the type of prank that seemed to have been perpetrated is typical of many that are intended light-heartedly whether they are felt that way or not. I do appreciate the rawness Oliver may feel following the discussions earlier in the year, and I can see why this may have rubbed salt into the wound, but I genuinely didn't and don't think there is any point in assuming malicious intent.

If, as hadn't been clear to me from Oliver's initial post, the note in the sightings sheet was simply attributed to an unspecified Oliver then it is even less to worry about. As you say it was probably someone else entirely and not even a wind-up. It might have been a mistake for the mailer to assume it was this Oliver I suppose, but there aren't many Olivers actively birding in Norfolk (I can't think of any others) so it's not an entirely unreasonable mistake to make. Personally I'd have just politely replied informing them that it must have been either a wind up or a different Oliver as you hadn't been there or reported it, and left it at that. But heh, we all make mistakes and we learn by them, so drawing that line under it sounds like a good plan to me :t:

Gorilla action

The gorillas were still present about 4pm when Bethany and I arrived at the beach. We had no trouble identifying them.

(I hesitate, for a variety of reasons, to start a ‘north Norfolk Gorilla’ thread in the Mammals & Sea Life Forum.)

Dawn: do you have any field (beach?) notes on their behaviour ? And, since ID presented no problems for you, can you say whether they were mountain or lowland ?

What were they doing there ? I only saw them on what gave the appearance of their leaving the area, presumably to forage elsewhere. I don’t know of any bamboo nearby, unfortunately.

I hope Beth was suitably astonished/impressed/amused, etc.

Pronouncement

Following some Googleresearch, I discovered this:

Elliott Coues (1842-1899) was a “pioneer in the recognition of subspecies”, apparently first describing Aegiothus exilipes (‘Hoary Redpoll’) from Greenland in 1861.

His name was Norman-French and pronounced ‘coo-ays’. The family (a common name in Brittany) moved to the Isle of Wight, where this was anglicised to ‘cows’ (it’s our fault!), then to the east coast of the US in about 1735.

This has been condensed from a Google Book Search in: http://www.amazon.com/Elliott-Coues-NATURALIST-FRONTIER-HISTORIAN/dp/0252069870

Therefore, although the name is (originally) French, and would be pronounced ‘coos’ by them (as I did, originally), he was a US citizen and ‘cows’ it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back