• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (114 Viewers)

a bit of swan history

The Bewick's Swan was still present near Cow Tower early this morning. it looked like it had roosted on the small slipway just south of the tower.

Not particularly relevant I know, but for those of you that are interested in such things, the Bewick's swan is on the river just downstream from the St Helen's Wharf swanpit. This is the rectangular pit set into the west bank of the river, now quite overgrown. It is, to my knowledge, the last remaining swanpit in England dating back to the days when mute swans regularly appeared on the tables of the wealthy gentry.

Not particularly relevant I know, but for those of you that are interested in such things, the Bewick's swan is on the river just downstream from the St Helen's Wharf swanpit. This is the rectangular pit set into the west bank of the river, now quite overgrown. It is, to my knowledge, the last remaining swanpit in England dating back to the days when mute swans regularly appeared on the tables of the wealthy gentry.
That is very interesting. Thanks for the information. :t:

Ron

The Big Norwich Bat Project

Talking of Norwich, are there any Norwich-based folk among you who could lend a hand with an ambitious project to survey all the 1-km squares in/around Norwich for bats this year?

All it involves on your part is allowing someone to drop off / set up a bat detector to run in your garden overnight, for just one night between April-June 2012. More details here: http://norwichbatgroup.org.uk/project.html

If you're interested, please check if your 1-km square is available via the map at the following link: http://norwichbatgroup.org.uk/bnbp/

Thanks!
Nick

Last edited:
Willowgrouse,Can you be a bit more specific with the position of the Swanpit. Great bit of history on our beautiful city.

If I'm thinking of the right place, there is a plaque with a picture of a Mute Swan on it. The easiest way to get to it is to go to the river from the pay & display carpark near the Adam and Eve pub. Walk to the river then go East towards Cow Tower and its on the right once you reach a small footbridge.

Thanks everyone for the replies ,had no idea that it is already owned by a club ,surely this is an ideal oppurtunity for the good guys to win one back ,i.e rspb ,nwt ,noa anymore? even just to join together, if there is a fund being set up nows the time to ask the industry that milks us, the optic makers the bird guide publishers ,paramo well you get the picture im sure .

For those that are interested- i Just popped down to river wensum in Norwich to eat my lunch (chicken & stuffing )and watch a very elegant Bewick's swan ,still around the cow tower area. Great bird to see in the city.
Shaky

St Helen's Wharf swanpit

If I'm thinking of the right place, there is a plaque with a picture of a Mute Swan on it. The easiest way to get to it is to go to the river from the pay & display carpark near the Adam and Eve pub. Walk to the river then go East towards Cow Tower and its on the right once you reach a small footbridge.

That is correct James, but in early spring the footpath was closed for construction work at the back of the P & D carpark - not sure if it has re-opened. Access is also available walking east from Pull's Ferry (more history here)

B S

That is correct James, but in early spring the footpath was closed for construction work at the back of the P & D carpark - not sure if it has re-opened. Access is also available walking east from Pull's Ferry (more history here)

I went down to see the Bewick Swan & as I got there it got chased by a male Mute Swan & was down at Pull's Ferry when I left

Titchwell April 18th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 5 on fresh marsh
Arctic tern – 4 offshore
Sandwich tern - 18 offshore
Little ringed plover – pair on fresh marsh

Paul

Its back open now, I've been walking back from work that way, I think it was closed for the completion of the new Jarrold bridge across the river.

Attached are two pics from this afternoons walk back, the Swan Pit sign and the latest postcard from Mr Bewick's tour of historic Norwich.

Attachments

• Bewicks pulls ferry (640x480).jpg
    Bewicks pulls ferry (640x480).jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Swan Pit (640x480).jpg
    Swan Pit (640x480).jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 88
Bewick's Bulletin

Having just returned from Scotland, I hadn't realised that the Bewick's Swan had been around since Tuesday when I posted earlier. The swan was still at Pulls Ferry at 17:30 when i went past. It was a rather elegant suprise when I stumbled upon it this morning.

Also, saw a Grey Wagtail near St James Mill.

What with breeding Peregrines as well, Norwich City Centre is becoming a real wildlife hotspot these days.;)

Regards

Steve

Good news

If no one payed their subscriptions Mr Joyce would not have a job , I find it strange he hides behind a desk & will not meet members who in the end pay his wages

I have just had a 15minute phone call with Mr Joyce , he has told me that the boat should not have gone over to the far side of the broad to get close to the Osprey & that if the bird is around the broad again the boat will not go over to the otherside of the broad but keep to the middle , in the conversation with him he came over a very kind person who puts wildlife first & who enjoys birdwatching himself .

Titchwell April 19th

Today’s highlights

Hawfinch – 1 in carpark briefly @ 16:30 only
Grasshopper warbler – 1 reeling in reedbed from Fen Hide
Red crested pochard – pair on fresh marsh
White wagtail – 4 on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail – 2 on fresh marsh, 2 on beach
Med gull – 2 adults west
Wheatear – 3 on beach

Paul

Cracking little owl views tonight after an uneventful march around the patch. Using the car as a hide we watched it and it us, no more than 3m away. Cannot beat 'em, personally I think little owls are the bird most easily anthropomorphisised

Users who are viewing this thread

Back