• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (117 Viewers)

Thanks Connor.. Did not realise there are no accepted records! I remember seeing a singing bird in N Kent years ago (on territory) .. from memory that was a possible Spanish... I am also aware they are a real taxonomic headache. Mark Golley did a very good summary in recent rare birds weekly summary online.

Beware of 'experts'!

The warden at a Norfolk nature reserve identified these Buzzards as Marsh Harriers when I showed him the pics on my camera on the way out!
I printed off hard copy and took it back to show him: he remained unconvinced!

Attachments

• Buzzards.jpg
    Buzzards.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 276
Titchwell April 27th

Today’s highlights

Osprey – 1 west @ 07:25
Pied flycatcher – 1 in trees near visitor centre but elusive
Spotted redshank - 5 around reserve
White wagtail – 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail – 3 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female on fresh marsh
Large movement of swift (100+) and swallow throughout the day

Paul

Mist !

The list from yesterday comprises Channel Wagtail (Kelling, flew off as I arrived), Hooded Crow and Whinchat (Gramboro’) and both Black & Common Redstarts (Cley).

Pretty impressive, really. My comment on this series of missed opportunities is attached below.

What was a delight was a hint of the flava to come- with any luck. (There were two similar to the photo below.) As another Norfolk birder remarked, it is one of the joys of Spring, seeing Yellow Wags and cows’ snouts. I would add dandelions, as a lovely colour match, but omit cows' hooves and the odour of their freshly-plopped dung.

As I write, the wind pelts the rain into my window, all the way from Scand-Land. Where's the Bluethroat ?

Attachments

• My lapse.png
    My lapse.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 040pse.jpg
    040pse.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 216
Quite a good start

Unlike yesterday, I managed to see some of the things that I looked for. Given the conditions, one might have expected Snow Buntings and the return of Pink-feet !

At Gramboro’, the Hooded Crow (finally) came into view: albeit, flying away . . . and then even further away. I wasn’t sure if it was the poor quality of the light, but it certainly seemed browner than the cleaner and more contrasting grey/black birds I recently saw in eastern Europe.

At the Cley VC, the Black Redstart was similar: eluding me for a while and then giving itself up. The shot might have been even better, were it not taken through the double-glazing.

Why is it that people can’t observe the ‘No Entry’ signs there ? The bird was flushed several times, disappearing for long periods, by birders going where they shouldn’t.

It was lovely to witness a 5-year girl, whom I’ve ‘known’ since before she was born, being bought a good pair of bins. My first pair for years: German army surplus, Hensoldt 6x30s.

Attachments

• 003pse.jpg
    003pse.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 135
I was expecting some reasoned debate on the Acle White Storks but not even a mention! Good time of year for vagrants but also the right time of year for the Thrigby free flyers to go for a wander (assuming they still have some!). So what do people think? Has anyone been to Thrigby to check?

Chris

I was expecting some reasoned debate on the Acle White Storks but not even a mention! Good time of year for vagrants but also the right time of year for the Thrigby free flyers to go for a wander (assuming they still have some!). So what do people think? Has anyone been to Thrigby to check?

Chris

Well a group of 9 was seen in Worcs a few weeks ago which then split (6 going to Wales and now Oxon), and 2 of the others probably being the Lincs birds. Presumably these 2 birds?

Sam

Acle Storks!

Distant views only: didn't seem to be ringed, but hey: the visibility was appalling!
Good to meet up with 'Edward Woodward': he really is a charming fellow....

Attachments

• White Stork.jpg
    White Stork.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Storks best.jpg
    Storks best.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Storks two.jpg
    Storks two.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 133

Chris

When one White Stork turned up last year I think that the discussion suggested that Thrigby do still have White Storks, but only one is free-flying. Obviously if someone does go and check theirs are present and correct it would be reassuring though

As mentioned in the post above there were two Storks in Lincolnshire earlier in the week, last seen flying off south, with others scattered throughout England, so this may well be as good as we can do!

At Thorpe Station Marsh today:
One Hobby flew over heading Northwards, 1 Grasshopper Warbler only giving short bursts of song in the rain, 6+ Sedge Warblers, 1 Reed Warbler, 2 Common Sandpipers plus Swift, Swallow, House Martins.

Distant views only: didn't seem to be ringed, but hey: the visibility was appalling!
Good to meet up with 'Edward Woodward': he really is a charming fellow....

Any more details on the white storks locations i might pop out this afternoon now that the rain has stopped for five minutes:t:

Any more details on the white storks locations i might pop out this afternoon now that the rain has stopped for five minutes:t:

from RBA:

"
still 2.15pm SE of Acle on marsh at end of Damgate Lane tho distant. Park sensibly on Damgate Lane, walk to end of lane +over bridge, turn right +follow stream for c200yds to view"

We were finally rewarded in the rain today with a very nice Black Tern at Barton Broad. Here are some award winning shots of it !

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 119
Once the sun came out, a very productive hours birding south of Norwich in the Saxlingham Thorpe area got me a pair of Grey Wagtails, 25 House Martins, 15 Swallows and a Sedge Warbler at the sewage works. Nearby, a pair of Moorhens with eight newly-hatched young were in defensive overdrive chasing off anything that got remotely near including two fully grown rabbits and three Pheasants, one of which was a cock bird which stood its ground until one of the Moorhens jumped on its back! It was amazing to watch.
Mind you, they probably need to be vigilant because just as I got back to the car a blue-backed, scythe-winged object just caught my eye and sure enough, a Hobby honed into view and flew through - my first one this year and a great bird to end on ;)

Last edited:
Store card . . . (think of the Two Ronnies’ “four candles”)

. . . if not impossible. [See below.]

And Misty-Eyed at Salthouse: as an unusual clump of mist thickens just south of the Little Eye, on a day of strange weather- for a drought. The temperature rose 10 (old) degrees, during the time it took me to walk up and back along the East Bank and as the sun vainly attempted a break-out.

The female Stonechat posed better than her mate, off the East Bank.

And a typical, highland scene for Norfolk, at Stiffkey. I was unable to locate either Pied Fly or Redstart in Wells Woods, but managed a brown, Redstart sp at Walsey Hills NOA this evening, which flicked into the thick gorse, from the top path.

I heard of a White Stork on someone’s roof in Blakeney, for 3 days this last week.

Attachments

• 066pse.jpg
    066pse.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 027pse.jpg
    027pse.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 023pse.jpg
    023pse.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 110
Yes, indeed - a glorious male GOLDEN ORIOLE at Snettisham Coastal Park this evening. Made up for a rotten last few days of illness.

Well done Jim:t:

Pictures on my blog now;););)

Penny:girl:

Yellow birds are the order of the day

An early fone call (thanks, Ian) got me out of the house in record time- only to find that the male Citrine had flown east. I trudged a km along the clifftop path in quest, with the scant consolation of a male Whinchat, only to have another call, informing me that it was back.

A minute of seeing it at quite a distance, on a fence, and it was off again. It flew over my head, called and went east, pitching down on the path. Distant views and several of us set off in pursuit. Before we’d got anywhere near it, it was back over our heads, calling, and this time disappeared west.

Simon C has much better, digiscoped, pix.

Attachments

• 024pse.jpg
    024pse.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 004pse.jpg
    004pse.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 222

Users who are viewing this thread

Back