• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (126 Viewers)

Mr. Beard,
the Osprey has not been reported via the 'usual' channels for a few weeks, although that is not to say it is not there. Perhaps someone else who lives closer can help?

Up and about early this morning, Cuckoos galore, an aberrant something, Hobby and that feeling you get when you wake up at the same time as a Sedge Warbler. Details of that and an in depth analysis of Kite-Gate on me blog!
Cheers,
Jim.

Mr. Beard,
the Osprey has not been reported via the 'usual' channels for a few weeks, although that is not to say it is not there. Perhaps someone else who lives closer can help?

Thanks, Jimbob. Will investigate and may just book a trip on the NWT boat there anyway and chance my beard!

No signs of Kites anywhere I perambulated today, but have enjoyed watching the Swifts zooming about from my washing-up post.

Cheers,

BirdBeard

Bonsoir,

Highlights of today's pram-birding

Bonsoir à vous-même, Monsieur Barbe.

Who is in the pram ? Is it powered ? Do you have a tripod/camera mount attached ? I can’t think of a nicer way to bird, provided the tyres are sufficiently cushioned and there’s a good, cross-country suspension. What a way to bounce out to The Point !

What started as a rather grotty day (rain, wind) became lovely, especially out of the wind.

Butterflies flitted: the majority being Orange Tips bounding along verges. It was nice to see Julian and his coffee van at Salthouse Beach car park again, after a sad, family event.

With the wind mainly from a northerly direction, waggies were few and far between. (What a strange idiom that is.)

Discovery was left to the Cley Beach car park, at the end of the day, when Pete S called an owl. A traipse a little way along the shingle, and we were regaled with stirring views of the Short-eared Owl below quartering and jinking- the RH shot eerily akin to a Stealth aircraft.

Attachments

• 195pse.jpg
    195pse.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 216pse.jpg
    216pse.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 114
  • 228pse.jpg
    228pse.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 143
Nightingales at Salthouse?

Is Salthouse Heath still reliable for Nightingale? I've remember many encounters up there at the crossroads area but that was a while ago now. I'm in the area for a wedding next Saturday and have the morning free for an attempt.
As you may be aware, the Yorkshire population (always small) died out around 2007/8 so its just a vagrant up here now.

John

Is Salthouse Heath still reliable for Nightingale? I've remember many encounters up there at the crossroads area but that was a while ago now. I'm in the area for a wedding next Saturday and have the morning free for an attempt.
As you may be aware, the Yorkshire population (always small) died out around 2007/8 so its just a vagrant up here now.

John

If there are any left at all, they're bloomin rare, so best not discussed on here and looked for somewhere further south where they are still commonish.

Is Salthouse Heath still reliable for Nightingale? I've remember many encounters up there at the crossroads area but that was a while ago now. I'm in the area for a wedding next Saturday and have the morning free for an attempt. As you may be aware, the Yorkshire population (always small) died out around 2007/8 so its just a vagrant up here now. John

Didn't hear or see any yesterday where I've logged them in previous years, but I'm told that one has been heard, although last week...
MJB

Flava

Walking the dog this am (about 9.00) had a flava wagtail on the horse field west of Wyndham Caravan Park, East Runton. Didn't have bins with me (doh), went back with bins but it had gone!!!! Gut feeling was Blue Headed (flava)

Last edited:
Golden Oriole singing at 6am in Thornham this morning (on BIRDGUIDES and RBA). Anyone know whereabouts in the village please? - its a huge village!!!

Red-footed Falcon
also seen (RBA) a couple of miles from my place of work today - how frustrating:eek!:

Penny:girl:

Hi all,

Back from Cley Marshes : 3 Temminck's Stints visible from the north hide at 1 pm but no sign of the reported Roseate Tern.
From Stiffkey this afternoon, good numbers of Swifts and Swallows wich were flying west.

Good birding
Quentin

Bonsoir à vous-même, Monsieur Barbe.

Who is in the pram ? Is it powered ? Do you have a tripod/camera mount attached ? I can’t think of a nicer way to bird, provided the tyres are sufficiently cushioned and there’s a good, cross-country suspension. What a way to bounce out to The Point !

Bonsoir encore M. Firstreesjohn,

The man in the pram is Aneurin, my 4 month old half-Welsh baby. He's already got some good ticks to his name (Pied Flycatcher, Hawfinch, Crossbill) and favours the local Crem on his early morning strolls. This morning we were in search of a Spotted Flycatcher and my binocular lens cap, which fell off yesterday. We found neither, but did manage 3 Goldcrests, 2 ChiffChaffs and a couple of nice Speckled Woods. When we got home, however, Welsh Girl (Merthyr born & bred) ordered us to buy a stiff brush to clean up the wheels, as it's not a natural off-roader and the Crem's freshly mown grass gets everywhere! Looking to upgrade to an SUP (Sports Utility Pram) next pay day.

Nos da,

BirdBeard

John

Understand may be down to one singing male. Given recent bb article on the decline would suggest time for serious bambi culling. Sorry bambi loving, veggie pinkos but unless these non native deer are culled nightingale will be lost as a breeder in norfolk within ten years. Deer eat the dense ground level cover which nightingale requires to nest.

Last edited:
Had to revise my optimistic prediction of an Aquatic Warbler for the weekend; August-September the best time for one of these! Still, 3 summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe at Cantley were unexpected consolation. Beautiful birds, pictures on my blog.
Hobby and Cuckoo also seen. I have been lucky with Cuckoo this year, seen and/or heard almost every time I head out this Spring. I hope other folk are having the same experience?
Cheers,
Jim.

Nice afternoon spent admiring the three Black necked Grebes at Cantley this afternoon, my first summer birds in the UK.

More unusual this evening was a pure albino type Jay at the back of Ringland on the way to Queen's hill. The bird flew up the road before perching on a fence. It then, upset by the car, flew off into thick woodland along with another Jay, this time more traditionally plumed.
I am used to seeing Corvids and Blackbirds with slight leucistic feathering, but to see a purely white Jay was a brilliant sight.

Regards Kieran

Hi Penny and all.

It was I that has the Red Foot at lunchtime today. Hawking over fields with hirundines watched for 5 mins before it dissapeared below tree height.

I only stopped because i thought it was a hobby. It pays to have the bins with you, even when working.

Tried to re-locate it later in the afternoon but no sign.

Also 3 sightings of Red Kites all in different areas W and N coast today

Trevor Girling

Last edited:
Hi Penny and all.

It was I that has the Red Foot at lunchtime today. Hawking over fields with hirundines watched for 5 mins before it dissapeared below tree height.

I only stopped because i thought it was a hobby. It pays to have the bins with you, even when working.

Tried to re-locate it later in the afternoon but no sign.

Also 3 sightings of Red Kites all in different areas W and N coast today

Trevor Girling
Hi Trevor!

Congratulations on your spectacular find:t: I had already found it was you;);)

I did look this evening briefly on the way back from unsuccessful Golden Oriole searching at Thornham!

Penny:girl:

Hi all,

I'm thinking of heading to Cantley tomorrow for the Black Necked Grebes but as I've only been that way for the winter geese and the recent Glossy Ibis's i'm unsure of access to where the grebes are.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers David.

Go to the Sugar Beet factory, sign in at security and they will direct you to a car park at the far end of the factory complex. Follow the footpath by the river until the wire fence ends then turn left into the pits. You should come to a large open pit on your right (the southernmost and largest). The grebes were on this.

Cheers Alison

Hi all,

I'm thinking of heading to Cantley tomorrow for the Black Necked Grebes but as I've only been that way for the winter geese and the recent Glossy Ibis's i'm unsure of access to where the grebes are.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers David.

Cross over the level crossing by Cantley station immediately turn left and stop on the left before the security office and barrier. Call into the office and inform the security guards you are a birdwatcher.

The three black-necked grebes are on the large pit at the east end. Follow the river to view.

I visited late sunday afternoon and not during working hours.

Johny and I had a very decent couple of hours on Thorpe (station marshes) yesterday afternoon, with a 10 minute raptor watch from the railway overpass producing 4 marsh harrier, 5 hobby, 2 kestrel single buzzard and red kite. Quite a respectable list considering the proximity to the city, we also heard Nightingale (Whitlingham side) and in excess of 200 swift.
Looking forward to working this area as my local patch in 3 weeks time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back