• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Especially on the Norfolk Birding threado:)

It should be noted that the news was placed on the appropriate thread- only an alert and link being given here- especially since everything on this thread is always to do with birds (is it not ?), and following news from Rare Bird Alert.

I am shocked that news of this rare insect has been released. There is risk of disturbance to rare breeding birds and damage to rare heathland.... B :)8-P

I agree- about the possibility of damage. There would be a risk to rare, chopped and fashioned wood, were odonatists to slalom along the boardwalk wearing crampons, or attack the dipping platform with axes. Photographers might also expose the spikes on the feet of their tripods and, by quickly rotating them, attempt to drill holes in said boardwalk.

Well done for locating the link, Robert. He looks conclusive.

Great garden tick tonight....bee-eater about 20 minutes before kick off....heading north towards Hunstanton lighthouse then east!

And if it had been a first for Britain bird and not released? ;)

John

Or even a first for Norfolk, on say, a difficult place to access, with possibility of disturbance to breeding (although, not always breeding) flora and fauna - okay not the same scenario, but...

'We' are used to it, don't like it, but used to it!

Anyway, news on this only came out after it had 'gone'!;)

Finally remedied my Norfolk Red Kite jealousy whilst playing tennis yesterday in central Norwich. A rather tatty individual came in low from the west, caught a thermal, gained significant height and rapidly headed east directly over the city centre.

6 Crossbill moved north ten minutes later and, whilst walking home, a flash of blue and piercing call alerted me to a Kingfsiher, presumably a dispersing juvenile, away from any obvious water.

Will

Hi Will, welcome to BirdForum.

Some excellent city birds there. Its good to know that there are still some Crossbills on the move, I hope to connect with some locally sooner or later!

James

Finally remedied my Norfolk Red Kite jealousy whilst playing tennis yesterday in central Norwich. A rather tatty individual came in low from the west, caught a thermal, gained significant height and rapidly headed east directly over the city centre.

6 Crossbill moved north ten minutes later and, whilst walking home, a flash of blue and piercing call alerted me to a Kingfsiher, presumably a dispersing juvenile, away from any obvious water.

Will

Can anyone remember a bigger Norfolk passage than this.... at any time of year....never mind mid June?!

I have certainly had big numbers of Crossbill at Sandringham in years gone by but I cannot remember them being on passage or in June!

I heard some Crossbills near Hillington on Sunday as I was searching for Banded Demoiselles in suitable habitat.

Sue

In 1997 we had very large numbers of crossbills moving across N Norfolk. At Swanton Novers alone over 1000 were logged between 27th of June to the 28th of July with frequently well over 100 a day. A few lingered until the end of August , but obvious movement stopped in August. Most records were of birds moving west or south west.

Talking of large numbers of birds the record of nine red kites all moving west on Sunday afternoon with a minimum of 6 individual birds ( a group of 3 , white wing tagged bird ,
1st summer bird and adult in heavy moult ) has been one of the largest daily movements of red kite I know of , but perhaps some on here have seen more in a single day within the county.

A sign of the state of the counties dragonfly numbers year Sue when you have to search for banded demoiselles.

Last edited:
Anybody have any information about the rosy starlings at Scratby this morning. Would like to know location etc. before leaving Cambs.
thanks Tony

Doesn't look quite so rosy, after all

An RBA message at 1224h, and another at 1302h, indicated no news since 0910h, then no sign 1125-1225h.

Stay in Cambridge- lovely city !

Bad luck, Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back