• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (126 Viewers)

Heard an interesting sounding Willlow Warbler in Hempnall today. I presume its the same bird thats been around since early spring as its in exactly the same spot but its now taking to doing quite a good impression of a singing Chiffchaff. The song starts Chiffchaffy but ends with the typical Willow Warbler flourish. Heard a similar sounding bird in Dunwich a couple of years back. Has anyone else heard any similar sounding birds and is their an explanation as to why a well established bird would suddenly change its song?

Also had a Red Kite over the village at the weekend so its nice to partake of the influx. Six birds for me so far this year in various parts of the county.

Last edited:
Titchwell June 21st

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler – male singing east of Fen Hide
Spotted redshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 14 on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 over main path
Eider – 20 offshore

Paul

Anybody have any information about the rosy starlings at Scratby this morning. Would like to know location etc. before leaving Cambs.
thanks Tony

I received a phone call at work this morning from a resident of Scratby who had identified an adult r.c.s. in his garden after consulting a bird guide, also two others that had flown over and through. He had "seen three". During the conversation (which seemed as genuine as one may perceive) a bird was still present and that he was a "casual birdwatcher" not aware of any movements west through Europe, nor birdlines etc and was ok with my passing on this unconfirmed information whilst also telling me that he had already rung the R.S.P.B. I thought it prudent to contact RBA, so that the news may be of some interest and allow people in the field to keep an eye out, sadly to no avail.

Last edited:
Row ‘Z’ – to be pronounced ‘zee’.

The previous post has coloured in the details of a highly possible record.

It must be very difficult being in a position like this when someone tells you about, say, a flock of a half-dozen Ortolans on the East Bank.

What to do ?

Thanks, Pat.

The previous post has coloured in the details of a highly possible record.

It must be very difficult being in a position like this when someone tells you about, say, a flock of a half-dozen Ortolans on the East Bank.

What to do ?

Thanks, Pat.

Sums it up John, all the best. P

Heard an interesting sounding Willlow Warbler in Hempnall today. I presume its the same bird thats been around since early spring as its in exactly the same spot but its now taking to doing quite a good impression of a singing Chiffchaff. The song starts Chiffchaffy but ends with the typical Willow Warbler flourish. Heard a similar sounding bird in Dunwich a couple of years back. Has anyone else heard any similar sounding birds and is their an explanation as to why a well established bird would suddenly change its song?

Also had a Red Kite over the village at the weekend so its nice to partake of the influx. Six birds for me so far this year in various parts of the county.
This willow warbler sounds a little confused!?!
As for red kite - well done mate!i have not had one so far this year so I must try harder me thinks!
Shaky

New Garden Bird

I got home from the WeBS count this morning to spot a Nuthatch on the feeders. I put the hide up and spent the afternoon waiting for a return visit and the bird duly obliged. :t:

This is the first Nuthatch I've seen in Langham.

While I was waiting a Treecreeper made a couple of visits to the pear tree.

Attachments

• Nuthatch 120622 IMG_6296 DB small.jpg
    Nuthatch 120622 IMG_6296 DB small.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Heading up to Norfolk tomorrow in the hope of seeing Montagus Harrier
would apprecite any advise....PM please if you can help. Thanks Brian

I got home from the WeBS count this morning to spot a Nuthatch on the feeders. I put the hide up and spent the afternoon waiting for a return visit and the bird duly obliged. :t:

I recall the first nuthatch in the garden at edgefield about three years ago. Always good to get a garden tick

Great shot Dave! Always nice getting a garden first.
Yellowhammer was added to the list this morning to compliment Turtle Dove and Stock Dove in recent days.

Attachments

• IMG_7984_edited-1 new.jpg
    IMG_7984_edited-1 new.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
spent the afternoon waiting for a return visit

It was just as well that it clung so tightly on to that branch, Dave; otherwise, it would have been quivering, tail up, in your lawn.

Yes, excellent shot. I spent some time in some gardens in Slovakia this spring, attempting to photograph one of these: it never seemed to keep still.

"The Plover at Cley is Pacific,
That’s from RBA, so specific !
An adult’s the message;
It must be on passage.
If gorn in the morn, that’s horrific !"

Great shot Dave! Always nice getting a garden first.
Yellowhammer was added to the list this morning to compliment Turtle Dove and Stock Dove in recent days.
I gotta stop looking on this forum it's making me so envious ! Garden ticks only I can dream about...... Yellowhammer, nuthatch , turtle dove, etc;-)
I did have a nice visiter this morning though in a young Chaffinch , hopefully one of many more young finches to enjoy the riches on offer at Shakys diner
Shaky

It was just as well that it clung so tightly on to that branch, Dave; otherwise, it would have been quivering, tail up, in your lawn.

Yes, excellent shot. I spent some time in some gardens in Slovakia this spring, attempting to photograph one of these: it never seemed to keep still.

"The Plover at Cley is Pacific,
That’s from RBA, so specific !
An adult’s the message;
It must be on passage.
If gorn in the morn, that’s horrific !"

Distant digiscoped effort of said Plover

Attachments

• 2012-06-22 19.52.37 new.jpg
    2012-06-22 19.52.37 new.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 231
Bit breezy at Upton Fen this afternoon, but managed Cuckoo, Marsh Harrier and the usual Warblers. Some lovely views of our very own Norfolk Hawker too.
Driving home, had a Red Kite drift through, a little high for a photo (best views were when I was driving, before pulling over).
Full update on blog.

Cheers,
Jim.

Yare valley

Red kite through Strumpshaw 215 pm, seen from car at overflow car park.
Male bullfinch calling then flew from tree close by, soon after, same spot.

Thorpe Marshes Norwich
The regular male marsh harrier, hobby (patch tick), kestrel, both kingfisher and shelduck (scarce here) through and common tern (or two) along river.

The plover at Cley has come back,
Perhaps on the back of a kayak,
Came in on the tide,
Hopped off after a ride,
And showing quite well from the shack!

In praise of our laureate, FTJ

Last edited:
Red Kites

It seems to have been a good day for Red Kites: while on the bus to Norwich, I had one over the roundabout in Poringland at 14:10 & a second in Trowse over the green at 14:20. Finally on the bus back to Poringland at 17:25 a Common Buzzard over the Tas Valley at Caister St Edmund. All seen without bins unfortunately.

Cheers

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back