• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (133 Viewers)

The Plover came a bit closer this evening, at least better than just a smudge!!
The only features that I can see on this bird that makes it Pacific is the length of the tertials, there is as far as I can see hardly any exposed primary, plus wider black down chest. Otherwise plumage looks very like a American, structure hard to tell on a lone bird but cannot see any difference comparing it to my pics of American.
Any comments??

John

I think there is your answer John with those last shots, the flanks should be solid black on American. The tertials almost cloak the primary tips, you should see 4 clear tips on American. More subjectively the rear end doesn't look as attenuated on this bird compared to the Cley AGP from 09 and the tibia not as long.

I agree on the white neck bulge though, I always thought that was more of an AGP feature, the PGP from Breydon when first seen showed this but appeared to moult during its stay

Morning All,
Just took the baby out for a look at the garden and heard an almighty kerfuffle. Directly above us a Peregrine was mobbing a Buzzard. After a hell of a scrap the Buzzard retreated over the Crem and the Peregrine (one of the Cathedral birds? I live in NR2 with the spire within view) chilled out high up with the Swifts (2 of whom are nesting next door). 2 fine new raptor garden ticks for me and the boy. It's gonna be a good day!

Cheers,
BirdBeard

Ee
The Pacific Golden Plover was showing well this morning - pity it hadn't read the field guides and lacked a good white/barred flank strip, still the tertials were long, the undertail coverts were not pure black as in the American GP a few years back (see John's photo in earlier post).

The Sacred Ibis was on Pope's Marsh this afternoon showing very well from the coast road. I see Steve G. has this down as a wild bird, presumably from the French feral population, so a tick if accepted. Someone said that this bird has cleared out colonies of Natterjack Toads and frogs on its travels but all I saw it eating was slugs (as in this shot) and snails.

Does this "wild" bird have a pet name. As the editor of birding world states it is of french origin what about joulles? It is now being reported on rba...it must be quiet!

Last edited:
What are these markings on the underwing, normal or what??

John

Nice shot John.

The Fieldguide to the Birds of East Africa says that the area of bare skin on the underwing turns bright red in the breeding season so this looks to be normal for this species. The illustration shows exactly the same bare patch shape.

Titchwell June 26th

Today’s highlights

Black tailed godwit – 50 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 10 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 8 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 over fresh marsh
Knot – 1500 roosting
Red crested pochard – female in reedbed
Wigeon – drake on fresh marsh
Crossbill – 6 west

Paul

Great to see that the peregrine's in the city are doing so well. Yesterday I saw the male take a feral pigeon outside my office window, and this evening whilst strolling home from work, I observed the adult birds coaxing a young bird away from the cathedral with another feral dove. Now if we can get some sea eagles in to sort out our rampant muntjac population were sorted!

Surely all the legal bird jailers keep their birds close-ringed so that any escapees can be recognised (or not).

Not necessarily... I don't think the tame bird at Dereham a few years ago had any rings, at least not that were visible when I saw it. There are certainly a good number of records of clearly escaped ibises, herons, etc. that haven't had rings visible.

What are these markings on the underwing, normal or what??
Or what, I suspect.
The Fieldguide to the Birds of East Africa says that the area of bare skin on the underwing turns bright red in the breeding season so this looks to be normal for this species. The illustration shows exactly the same bare patch shape.

That's right - it's clearly visible on African birds when they raise their wings (e.g. one here).

It seems to be missing an alarming amount of feathers ‘on top’: is this moult, or what ?

Don't know, but several of the birds I saw in Africa looked similarly scruffy.

No idea where this one comes from. I should think a French cat C origin is very possible but escaped birds are so frequently encountered I think you'd need some stronger evidence to point towards a Continental origin than I've seen presented so far to justify any claim that it is, or probably is, a cat C vagrant.

Hi video of the Pacific golden plover taken today here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeo1ws7Wqw
If anyone interested, also some stunning Black Tailed Godwits from the north hide today here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diyjnoWqf4

Lovely videos, well done!

Interesting to see on of the Black-tailed Godwits is colour ringed:
Orange flag over white on left leg
and
Green over black (I think) on right

Hopefully someone would be able to tell you its history (or a least where to find out!)

Titchwell June 28th

Today’s highlights

Little gull – 5 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 5 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Knot – 800 roosting
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Slightly off topic I know - we have a jackdaw in our garden with a broken wing - looks a quite nasty gash on him. He can't fly so we've had to put him in a box so the dogs/cats next door can't finish him off - anyone know any wildlife rehab places near Attleborough? If not I shall just take him to the vets in the morning to be put to sleep.

Slightly off topic I know - we have a jackdaw in our garden with a broken wing - looks a quite nasty gash on him. He can't fly so we've had to put him in a box so the dogs/cats next door can't finish him off - anyone know any wildlife rehab places near Attleborough? If not I shall just take him to the vets in the morning to be put to sleep.

You could try PACT Animal Sanctuary at Woodrising. 01362 820775.

www.pactsanctuary.org

Titchwell June 29th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 20 around reserve
Green sandpiper – 7 around reserve
Little gull – 8 on fresh marsh
Arctic skua – dark phase west over reedbed!
Knot – 300 roosting
Bittern – regular feeding flights over reedbed
Spoonbill – 1 on saltmarsh

Paul

You could try PACT Animal Sanctuary at Woodrising. 01362 820775.

www.pactsanctuary.org

Update on Jacko the Jackdaw. Rang PACT as you suggested and within an hour the guy had travelled over from the other side of Norwich to rush him over to a vet. Sadly, Jackdaw had to be put down as his injuries were inoperable. Credit to PACT though for such swift action. Good to know that there are people out there willing to travel Norfolk attending to sick and injured wild birds.

Talking of Jackdaws, for anyone whose been to lakenheath in the last few weeks, you may recognise this cheeky chap !

Attachments

• photo 1a.jpg
    photo 1a.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 233

Users who are viewing this thread

Back